Should I buy a 3 Standard?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice please. I have had a Hubsan 501 S for several months. There always seems to be issues and its no longer enjoyable to fly. I'm looking at a Phantom 3 standard to purchase. I have read that Phantoms have fly away issues. If someone has the time, I would really appreciate it if you could share reasons to buy the 3 standard and if there are reasons not to, I'd appreciate that too. I'm only using for video and photos, not concerned about speed or "spirited flying." Thanks!

Fly always are rare and usually user error. I've own a standard and a advanced for over a year and no fly away here. Just stay away from firmware updates. Whatever firmware it comes with which I assume if you buy new right now will have the latest anyway just leave it alone a fly and enjoy and you will not have any problems. It's on a whole other level compared to your hubsan....you'll love it...

Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice please. I have had a Hubsan 501 S for several months. There always seems to be issues and its no longer enjoyable to fly. I'm looking at a Phantom 3 standard to purchase. I have read that Phantoms have fly away issues. If someone has the time, I would really appreciate it if you could share reasons to buy the 3 standard and if there are reasons not to, I'd appreciate that too. I'm only using for video and photos, not concerned about speed or "spirited flying." Thanks!
You might also try asking in the P3 Standard forum to get feedback on why they chose that model.

Fly always are rare and usually user error. I've own a standard and a advanced for over a year and no fly away here. Just stay away from firmware updates. Whatever firmware it comes with which I assume if you buy new right now will have the latest anyway just leave it alone a fly and enjoy and you will not have any problems. It's on a whole other level compared to your hubsan....you'll love it...
Thanks for your time and input. I appreciate it very much!

I've had a standard since January, it's a great machine. No crashes, no fly aways. As sandman259 said most errors are our own faults. Yes weird things happen. The P3S is a nice way to really decide if you like this type of hobby. Personally I will likely upgrade at sometime in the future but the standard is serving me well..

From my experience I started with a p3s and within a month I sent it back and purchased a p3p. So much better a lot more distance and connection. If your in a urban area range will be about 900-1000 feet from your location. Wifi vs light-bridge. Look that up on YouTube then figure what your looking for.

You can get a refurbished pro from. Newegg that's what I did for both standard and pro no issues.
59707708d059ae9ae1091f7598180dec.jpg

You know, a lot can be learned from a 501s. Especially, manual flying to give you the feel and know how of control with the wind and direction. I've had the 501S for a year (also a 502s just for kicks) and a P3Ss for 8 months. I use both still. Never really had a problem not caused by operator error. (Usually in the set up and firmware.) You will find the phantom to be rock steady compared to the 501 and much, much tamer. Like a sports car compared to a Mack truck with a camera.

Reactions: davecarter39
I love my P3S but it's lacking all the sensors that the P4 line has. I feel as if anything would happen could easily be avoided with the P4's. I would only want light-bridge for its range bc the P3S WIFI is high performance just not good range

If this isn't your first bird and you're looking at spending a relatively significant amount of money on another one, I'd save for a p4 or a p3 pro. However, if you're definitely going to buy a drone in that particular price point, I don't think there's a better option than the p3s.

I've got my uncle looking to ditch his parrot (not sure what model) after watching my p3s, and I have a friend with a Yuneec q500 who claims my p3 doesn't have as nice a camera, but is a more stable and responsive flyer.

Small sample size and completely anecdotal opinions here, but that's my story.

I love my p3s however wish i had spent just a bit more on a pro or advanced. Range, controller and 4k. Sure more users can enlighten you on the pro's and con's against each other model.

If it was a p3s vs something else for the same money i'd go for a p3s for sure ;-)

I love my p3s however wish i had spent just a bit more on a pro or advanced. Range, controller and 4k. Sure more users can enlighten you on the pro's and con's against each other model.

If it was a p3s vs something else for the same money i'd go for a p3s for sure ;-)

Not that i have yet gone above beginner mode altitude it is like saving for tge future!

You know, a lot can be learned from a 501s. Especially, manual flying to give you the feel and know how of control with the wind and direction. I've had the 501S for a year (also a 502s just for kicks) and a P3Ss for 8 months. I use both still. Never really had a problem not caused by operator error. (Usually in the set up and firmware.) You will find the phantom to be rock steady compared to the 501 and much, much tamer. Like a sports car compared to a Mack truck with a camera.
Thanks for your time and input.

Thanks!

For the price there is not anything even close to the P3S. If you want extreme ranges, more automation and sensors and semi-pro camera then the more advanced DJI models may be worth looking at if you have the budget. If you want portability, then Mavic.

As for problems - no worse than any other platform. There were a few dodgy firmware and app updates (no worse than any other product of this type - my opinion) and DJI customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Realistically though, again, much like many other companies.
The worst part I can think of is the battery cost.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl