Should bin file stay on micro sd card after firmware update?

Tech support said that a chip in the copter was potentially full from all these aborted attempts.
Interesting. DJI employees often recommend keeping the BIN on the memory card so it's easier to install updates on batteries on the future. But, there really is no need to do so if you've already installed it on all batteries and have no near-term plans to buy additional batteries.

Does anyone from DJI ever oversee this community to clear this up for sure?
They do not frequent this forum. I'm assuming they are too busy working in their own forum.

Once the .bin file has been used to update firmware, it is of no further use.
There is no point keeping it on the sd card
I disagree. You should always save your .bin files somewhere. Not necessarily on the sd card. Suppose you find a need in the future to downgrade to a prior version?

I don't know what's right or wrong as I've only had this a short time. The app does a decent job of informing you of updates so I figure if there's new firmware available I'll let it prompt and I'll manually take actions. I'll probably still just keep the zip file downloaded to the device I fly from so I can put it on the sd card if I ever needed to update.

Suppose you find a need in the future to downgrade to a prior version?
You can download old firmware versions from DJI's download page.

Except when it's a mandatory upgrade that removed options. Didn't earlier versions of firmware disappear from the website when mandatory geofencing was posted?

Didn't earlier versions of firmware disappear from the website when mandatory geofencing was posted?
I wouldn't worry about that with the Phantom 3. DJI's new trick is to prevent the firmware from being rolled back further than a certain version.

I wouldn't worry about that with the Phantom 3. DJI's new trick is to prevent the firmware from being rolled back further than a certain version.
What r ur thoughts about why Msinger? U always have great comments on anything Phantom. Fortunately all of my updates have been positive so far.

Sent from my PT beating heart

What r ur thoughts about why Msinger? U always have great comments on anything Phantom. Fortunately all of my updates have been positive so far.
Some people are very concerned about DJI adding new no-fly zones in new firmware releases, so they always want to have a backup plan (e.g. keeping old BINs on file). I don't think it's going to be a big deal though once DJI releases the upcoming firmware that allows no-fly zones to be overridden. Now, you won't be able to fly in some no-fly zones where people absolutely should never fly -- but, it'll give most people the option to fly if there is good reason to do so.

Thanks Msinger. Makes perfect sense not unlike us being able to have some override capabilities for alt.

Sent from my PT beating heart

I keep getting a notice that the RC controller needs firmware upgrade when it's already been done. I get it each time I start up

I keep getting a notice that the RC controller needs firmware upgrade when it's already been done
Try starting everything up like this:
  • Turn on your remote controller
  • Turn on your Phantom
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Start DJI GO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member