Short range on the phantom 1

Reaction score
I have a phantom 1.1.1 and have found that my range seems to be rather short....couple hundred feet. Most times (but not all) when then the quad reaches a 200-300 feet, it goes into failsafe mode. Today was particularly bad and it was going into falesafe at about 100 feet, but today was also exteemly windy, but I can't imagine that would effect radio waves. I am using the stock DJI tx. The only mods I've done is to add a 5k pot for the gimbal control.

Is my only option to go to a better rx/tx like the t8j or dx8i, or is there something I can do or check for until my wallet recovers from my last whim.

Also, I am noticing a lot more movement when i am off the controls than I see in a lot of the videos I see on line. Typically something like a 10ft radius around what ever point it should be holding at. Could that indicate something? I have done the calibration dance several times and the connection to the GPS antenna seems ok..

I have a v1.1.1 that I can fly atleast 500m before my FPV signal starts to give out, but the control range seems a far amount further.

So either something is wrong or you are getting a lot of interference. I stay away from large power line and radio towers. Have you tried flying it at a different location? If you get the same behaviour somewhere else that should be free of interference then something else is wrong.

I wouldn't consider a new TX yet, I very much doubt that's your problem.

Plug your Phantom into the NAZA assistant software and do a basic and advanced IMU calibration. Then check your compass values to make sure there is nothing crazy there.

I've had my 1.1.1 out to over 2000m on the standard TX/RX - Not recommending it, but just saying, if your only getting a couple of hundred feet then something is up.

I agree something is not right. I have been over 800 meters with mine and no problems controlling the phantom V 1.1.1.

You might check to be sure your antenna are connected to the receiver and also your antenna wire on the TX is connected to the circuit board.

One way or another something is simply not right.

hmmmmm.. One thing I did notice when installing the pot is that the glue that held the antenna wire to the tx module (?? I guess....silver thing) is not attached although the wires themselves seem to be. I wonder if that connection has grown week. I am almost afraid to mess with it since I don't know what I am doing, but I guess nothing ventured.....

Thanks

I'll bet you saw this one coming. :oops:

On closer inspection, the reason I thought the wires were still connected was that there was a bit of white going inside, but a closer look, taking these pics, shows I was wrong. Now I guess the question changes....

How do I reconnect this. It certnainly doesn't look like a simpe solder joint. Do I just try and remove the white stuff, hold it in place and hot glue over it?

I can't figure out why this worked at all.

Attachments

• Phantom Tx.jpg
    Phantom Tx.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 454
  • Phantom Tx-2.jpg
    Phantom Tx-2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 409
I'm just guessing, but I assume that it just snaps in place and then the glue was used to hold it there.

It seems that you are right. I lightly pressed it into place and I could feel a tiny snap as it locked in place. Seems to be fairly firmly attached, but I will put a tiny dollop of hot glue on ether side to hold it (and the white goop) in place.

Thank you all very much.

Bringing up old thread, but I got the same problem, I loose signal after like 100-200 ft and it goes into home mode, someone having a clue of what the problem could be?

And one more question, what does the thing that is on the end of the antenna on landinggear of the drone? The white little tube....

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj