Short Circuited Camera - Now dead/bricked

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Two part topic - Ive managed to get all the gimbal and camera mounted and was fitting/adjusting the extension lead for the camera with one of these

4pole_lead.JPG

PART 1:
Because it was awkward when i went to adjust it, i plugged the new extension in the camera first and joined the stock cable into the adapter.

It was stupidly powered up while i was doing this as i was testing the gimbal to make sure the cable wasn't interfering. However as i went to plug it in, it arced across as i was pushing it in and sure as sh!t, hit the other contacts and shorted out the camera.

PART 2:
WTF do i do? Are there any cameras out there to be purchased under $500??? Otherwise do i just dump the stock stuff and use my existing GoPro Hero 3 and get a FPV system that will probably do more distance anyway??

Love the full easy all in one system, but can i justify $500 on just the camera?

Advice warmly welcomed

lachers said:
Hey guys,

Two part topic - Ive managed to get all the gimbal and camera mounted and was fitting/adjusting the extension lead for the camera with one of these

4pole_lead.JPG

PART 1:
Because it was awkward when i went to adjust it, i plugged the new extension in the camera first and joined the stock cable into the adapter.

It was stupidly powered up while i was doing this as i was testing the gimbal to make sure the cable wasn't interfering. However as i went to plug it in, it arced across as i was pushing it in and sure as sh!t, hit the other contacts and shorted out the camera.

PART 2:
WTF do i do? Are there any cameras out there to be purchased under $500??? Otherwise do i just dump the stock stuff and use my existing GoPro Hero 3 and get a FPV system that will probably do more distance anyway??

Love the full easy all in one system, but can i justify $500 on just the camera?

Advice warmly welcomed

BUMMER TO BE YOU
Chalk this one up to stupid tax
lesson learned :cry:

lachers said:
...However as i went to plug it in, it arced across as i was pushing it in and sure as sh!t, hit the other contacts and shorted out the camera... WTF do i do? ...Advice warmly welcomed
There's a possibility your camera is fine, but its source of power (Vision) is not. If on power-up your Vision lights up but your camera doesn't illuminate its status LED, there's a good chance its no longer getting power from the Vision.

To check, you'll need a digital multimeter and have to open the Vision (follow Pull_Up's video tutorial, linked in his sig). Follow the camera cable to its connector on the Central Board. Power-up the Vision and measure the DC voltage at the Red & Black pins in the camera connector on the Central Board. I haven't measured it myself but based on Vision's design I expect it will be between +5vdc to +9vdc on a good Vision. If you measure less than +4vdc or zero, your Central Board is likely damaged. If the voltage checks good, your camera is probably damaged.

Good news is a replacement Central Board is a standard spare parts item and usually stocked by your better dealers. Better news is it's End User replaceable. Best news is its only $59 USD. Here's a link to one of many dealers that stock them: http://www.flying-hobby.com/phantom...p-12578.html?zenid=ovl3dgq3mf2uonor97th7on4t6

If that doesn't resolve your problem at least you'll have replaced the Central Board which may have suffered collateral damage to the serial port to the camera. At this point you may want to disconnect the camera & gimbal from the shock mount and send it to a dealer who's qualified to perform repairs.

Good luck!

iDrone :ugeek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 470

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member