Shooting timelapse in RAW

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been trying to do some timelapse shooting on my Phantom 3 Proffesional lately and I'm wondering if anyone else has been doing the same? I'm wanting to shoot in RAW to get the best quality but I'm not liking the limitation of 1 photo every 10 seconds via the dji timed photo function.

Has anyone successfully shot raw format at either 5 or even 3 second intervals, and how? I know that the 3rd party app Autoflight Logic has the ability to shoot continuous photos so I didn't know if there were any other 3rd party apps that may help me achieve this 3 or 5 second goal?

Thanks!

You're bottlenecked by the BUS. It can only write so fast, and there isn't enough cache to store RAW images sequentially while the BUS writes to the card. JPG is likely your only hope.

Reactions: Neary Aerial
I typically dislike speeding up video to achieve the timelapse effect, but I find it works better than the JPG only mode on the Phantom.

We recently added a Timer capture mode in Litchi which will allow you to go down as low as 500ms, but there are obviously limits based on hardware. Some of our users have reported being able to take raw photos every 2.Xseconds

i tried to takes raw images at 2.5s but after 10-15 photos it start telling that failed to take photo.. do you think that the sd overload? i have the lexar 633x.. it came with the quadcopter

Class 10 cards are faster than the P3 bus. So it's probably an inherent issue with the P3. I've found that 4K footage does reasonably well with time lapse. I'm having more trouble with the P3 staying perfectly still than anything else.

Reactions: Neary Aerial
Class 10 cards are faster than the P3 bus. So it's probably an inherent issue with the P3. I've found that 4K footage does reasonably well with time lapse. I'm having more trouble with the P3 staying perfectly still than anything else.
I want many many photos for a geological survey so video cant help me.. anyway thank you for the reply

If you're doing a STILL time lapse project, I find that using the grid display helps to take each photo manually with reasonable accuracy. Just put one on the cross hairs on a unique spot on the ground, like a fire hydrant, or a light signal, or a tree branch Y, etc. The drone will stay close to same location, but if YOU point the camera and carefully take each photo you may have good results, assuming you're not do a MOVING time lapse project. There's a lot of stabilization post processing to do, but it can look fantastic when done. Here's an example of a Hyperlapse clip that's really interesting. You can listen to how this was done in the DroneVibes podcast #62

If you're doing a STILL time lapse project, I find that using the grid display helps to take each photo manually with reasonable accuracy. Just put one on the cross hairs on a unique spot on the ground, like a fire hydrant, or a light signal, or a tree branch Y, etc. The drone will stay close to same location, but if YOU point the camera and carefully take each photo you may have good results, assuming you're not do a MOVING time lapse project. There's a lot of stabilization post processing to do, but it can look fantastic when done. Here's an example of a Hyperlapse clip that's really interesting. You can listen to how this was done in the DroneVibes podcast #62
Thank you for your reply, but my main idea is to take many photos while i am moving the aircraft..anyway i will try again with the litchi app.

Resurrecting an old thread here to see if people are having luck with Litchi for RAW lapses before I plunk the 20 bucks down. Anyone manage something closer to 4 or 5 seconds?

I've been able to get close to 3s intervals manually (super tedious) so I think the P3 and card I have in it will handle it..but I've seen at least one report that even through Litchi, some of the phantoms are limited at 10s minimum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20