Shooting in a large warehouse, thoughts on methodology?

Reaction score
Thanks in advance guys for your thoughts.

I just realized after I accepted the gig that I have never done this.

I have a very well paying, easy gig where I will be shooting a giant warehouse with about 300 workers in it and I will, in theory for the moment, be shooting when they are working. It's about 4 stories but it's just a large warehouse with lots of machinery and people.

Obviously I have to fly in ATTI mode as there won't be any GPS signal inside and the VPS system is not strong enough to go that high.

Am I putting the bird, and worse, the people that are working in the factory at risk?

Have any of you shot in a warehouse before? Also, there is no natural light in there, I guess I'm gonna have to rent a few 5ks and maybe a couple 1k floods along with it.

The gig pays well enough that I can rent anything I need and I was planning on using the P3P or P4 to shoot it.

Until my show starts back up, these are the kind of gigs that usually keep the savings up on hiatus so any help or thoughts on it would be great.

I'm thinking I'm safe to just put it in Atti mode and fly it and maybe turn the VPS off?

Just did a flight indoors today of an automation line where I work. No People below but 60000 square feet. I have to say the P4 was rock steady the entire time. I left CA on. In contrast when I flew inside with the P3A shooting footage of this same line there was simply put no comparison. It was full time trying to keep the P3A from drifting.
When I flew this with the P4 I was actually able to sit down during the entire flight. No worries what so ever. I did shoot a video of this machine and will post it up a bit later this evening.
At this point the P4 will definitely be my go to bird for indoor flight.
Your indoor lighting may not be a problem just open up the exposure. But keep in mind I am not a professional videographer either. Just shooting for the CEO of my company. All free as well I just enjoyed the fact that I got to shoot inside a giant building.

Reactions: Styler Wang
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Video from Indoor shoot. Man the P4 is solid.

You get paid to do this for a living and you don't know what is required or how to go about it? Interesting...

Reactions: izzydrone
It is so typical of this forum to have so many members like maseman88. Nothing to contribute. Thanks for nothing.

Reactions: maseman88
It is so typical of this forum to have so many members like maseman88. Nothing to contribute. Thanks for nothing.

When the op says its "very well paying" and "easy" but then is getting into something they've never done... Yea, I think it's interesting. I just don't get how you can get paid to do this professionally if you don't know the simple logistics behind setting this up/knowing the consequences to what could happen. That's all, sorry.

What is your experience in terms of obtaining work using your phantom. I don't intend to earn a living from it, but thought I could feasibly earn some dollar while having fun using it on days off etc

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What is your experience in terms of obtaining work using your phantom. I don't intend to earn a living from it, but thought I could feasibly earn some dollar while having fun using it on days off etc

Exactly my thoughts and what I'm going through as well. Figure if I can make enough to keep the hobby going with accessories and the like then it's worth it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Video from Indoor shoot. Man the P4 is solid.
Awesome!

You mind telling me what mode you stayed in. Atti?

Also, the factory I'm going to be in will be much larger (several stories), in full motion with hundreds of people. I need to make sure everyone is safe first.

Unfortuantely it's very typical for some reason. Especially to me. I've become quite adept at just ignoring those posts and understanding that they are just projecting jealousy. He probably has a 9-5 that he hates.

Anyway, I don't get paid to do that for a living. If he would have read my OP, I am filling in the gaps while my bread and butter show is on hiatus.

Either way, regardless of what I get paid for, I've never in my life flown a drone in a warehouse so I want to ask others that might have and looky what happened, I got a person who did just that.

If this question is directed at me, I was in the film and video world, LOOONNGG before I ever flew a RC helicopter, let alone a quad DJI Phantom or Inpire, S1000 or any of the other birds I use for various shots over the last few years.

As for the other work, honestly, it's mostly referrals. People like to hire professionals when it comes to pro gigs and I have a backlog of experience. Otherwise, as they say around here, "fake it to you make it".

Yes thanks, I don't have any filming experience professionally, but I'm interested in how others have adopted the technology.

Awesome!

You mind telling me what mode you stayed in. Atti?

Also, the factory I'm going to be in will be much larger (several stories), in full motion with hundreds of people. I need to make sure everyone is safe first.
I was flying the p4 and left it in P mode. Solid as a rock through out the flight. I would have no hesitance with flying indoors again with the P4. Now around a bunch of people. My experience currently prohibits me from feeling safe about it. I am actually quite curious to try the P4 in my home and see if I get the same results. That would be killer for real estate brokers to offer fly throughs of perspective homes for sale. I myself have no interest in making money off of my flying. I just truly enjoy the act of flying birds eye view.
I will be sure and post up when I try this inside my house. No safety worries either just me an my wife kids all grown up and have flown the coop. ;)

Reactions: Jussaguy
I haven't tried the P4 indoors but that video looks great - as long as you aren't too high you should be ok. And be super careful around people of course.

I did one shoot with P2V+ in a smallish gym and it was nerve-wracking. I was very comfortable flying outside in ATTI mode but in-doors, it was so sensitive and difficult to control (while shooting of course). I would never do that with people around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic