Shooting fireworks in auto or manual

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to shoot a video of a fireworks tonight. It will be near to a lake and I will be abble to shoot it from the lake. I did some shootages when the sun was gone at very dark light, and the image was very noisy.

My question is what's a good setting to shoot some fireworks ? Is it better I let my P3P decides the best exposure in auto mode and play a little with the EV ? Or in manual mode ?

Thanks for the tips.

Xavier

EV 0 leave everything automatic. The bright lights from the fireworks should be enough to give you a nice quality video, try to get as close as possible without flying in to them. Good luck and looking forward to seeing them.

I filmed a fireworks show once, and if I do it again I would get a bit closer, and do more panning as I'm moving around to give the video a variety of angles. Also, fly over top of them with the camera facing down, some beautiful shots will happen.

Thanks for the tips man. It's a small event in the small city, so don't think they will be so impressive. But I hope they will last long enough to allow me to get the shots I want.
I love your idea of getting a view from above.

If you do shoot from overhead, check with pyro technicians to verify how high the fireworks will go. Don't want to have them shoot your bird down.

Hum ya… so maybe not this time. I'm still novice, I won't take the chance.

Being a photographer/videographer and having shot a couple of fireworks (not many though), I would definitely go for manual with an ISO no more than 400 in video to prevent too much noise. And adjust speed accordingly. For photos I would use ISO 100 only since the opening at f:2.8 is already letting much light from the fireworks enter (with an SLR I use f:5.6 or f:8 for 8-10 seconds).
IMHO

Reactions: jimerb
Ya right. Do it for glory lol. I'm not rich (and brave) enough to risk my investment. So I've shot it tonight. And everything went well. I was a little too far but I had the wind in front and I was afraid of ashes. Images in auto mode were nice. I will share you the video soon. Thx guys.

Shot my first fireworks experience in 'Auto'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20