Shooting a very tall building...

Reaction score
I studied pretty extensively for my part 107 test and in all of my reading of the outright rules and regulations, online study guides and sample tests, one thing still remains a QUESTION that I have not really found a definitive answer to...

I am photographing a building that is 500 feet tall (AGL) in an area in which Class E ceiling is at 700 ft. AGL. FAA Part 107 regulations state that I can fly 400 feet HIGHER than the building as long as I am within 400 feet from its 'radius' as well. OK. That puts me 200 feet into Class E. So here are the questions...

1. CAN I fly 400 feet over any man made structure as long as the flight is allowable at the surface area on the chart? I do not see how this could every realistically place me into the outer shells of Class B or Class C, but it could easily put me into Class E.

2. If the answer is YES, then the next question is... is that because Class E space somehow conforms to not only AGL altitudes as it relates to the actual GROUND, but also takes structures into account? Ie., the 700 AGL definition STILL EXISTS, but when you are over a tall building, the GROUND LEVEL is measured from the top of the building and NOT the actual ground?

Why do I ask this? Because one of the questions on my Part 107 Exam had, as its correct answer, an altitude that had me 23 feet into Class E space as strictly defined as 700 ft. AGL.

I passed my part 107 and didn't have a question similar to this. My opinion would be to never fly into the Class E airspace (unless there is an emergency). Maybe @Big Al KY can chime in on this one, he knows his 107 stuff really well.

I passed my part 107 and didn't have a question similar to this. My opinion would be to never fly into the Class E airspace (unless there is an emergency)

Exactly my thought too, but the CORRECT answer on the exam definitely took me into class E by 23 feet. I got it right, but while doing the question I turned to the proctor and said "I think the test might have gotten something wrong" and explained my rationale. His job prevented him from making any comment. The other two possible answers were WAY off base. And the two I got wrong on the test were not about charts or air space at all.

I got this question too and it left me scratching my head. The only thing I can think is that your argument in #2 is correct and the airspace technically does not start until 700 feet above the structure.

Reactions: Jim Roof
I studied pretty extensively for my part 107 test and in all of my reading of the outright rules and regulations, online study guides and sample tests, one thing still remains a QUESTION that I have not really found a definitive answer to...

I am photographing a building that is 500 feet tall (AGL) in an area in which Class E ceiling is at 700 ft. AGL. FAA Part 107 regulations state that I can fly 400 feet HIGHER than the building as long as I am within 400 feet from its 'radius' as well. OK. That puts me 200 feet into Class E. So here are the questions...

1. CAN I fly 400 feet over any man made structure as long as the flight is allowable at the surface area on the chart? I do not see how this could every realistically place me into the outer shells of Class B or Class C, but it could easily put me into Class E.

2. If the answer is YES, then the next question is... is that because Class E space somehow conforms to not only AGL altitudes as it relates to the actual GROUND, but also takes structures into account? Ie., the 700 AGL definition STILL EXISTS, but when you are over a tall building, the GROUND LEVEL is measured from the top of the building and NOT the actual ground?

Why do I ask this? Because one of the questions on my Part 107 Exam had, as its correct answer, an altitude that had me 23 feet into Class E space as strictly defined as 700 ft. AGL.

Jim, the airspace, (or any airspace), has nothing to do with a structure that happens to be in it.

If the bottom of Class E, ( and I believe you meant bottom & not ceiling), starts @ 700 AGL, then you could fly to 699 AGL only, (without FAA Waiver/Authorization).

The "Ceiling" of Class E is usually/often 17,999 MSL but does not have to be, if it is overlayed by a more restrictive airspace that happens to be lower, (the upside down wedding cake concept).

In your case, I believe you have uncontrolled "G" from the surface to "bottom of E" which begins @ 700 AGL. "E" is "E", and it is Controlled airspace that would not be able to be entered by a sUAS without prior permission.

I suspect the "Correct" answer to your FAA exam question that you are referring to was actually incorrect. It happens. The entire question & answer were probably poorly worded; the FAA is famous for that.

See the Part 107 Rule below: "Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with
the required ATC permission".

I would love to hear someone who is very Part 107 fluent, chime in. If I am wrong about entering Class E in Jim's example, I need to be corrected, pronto.

airspaceclassification.jpg

FAA News
Federal Aviation Administration, Washington, DC 20591
Operational Limitations

Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).

Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must
remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the
person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS.
Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain with
in VLOS of the visual observer.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close
enough to the remote pilot in command and the person
manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those
people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision
unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons
not directly participating in the operation, not under a
covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary
vehicle.

Daylight
-only operations, or civil twilight (30 minutes before
official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time)
with appropriate anti-collision lighting.

Must yield right of way to other aircraft.

May use visual observer (VO) but not required.

First-person view camera cannot satisfy “see-and-avoid”
requirement but can be used as long as requirement is
satisfied in other ways.

Maximum groundspeed of 100 mph (87 knots).

Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if
higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a
structure.

Minimum weather visibility of 3 miles from control station.

Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with
the required ATC permission.

Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without ATC
permission.

No person may act as a remote pilot in command or VO for
more than one unmanned aircraft operation at one time.

No operations from a moving aircraft.

No operations from a moving vehicle unless the operation is
over a sparsely populated area.

No careless or reckless operations.

No carriage of hazardous materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, the airspace, (or any airspace), has nothing to do with a structure that happens to be in it.

If the bottom of Class E, ( and I believe you meant bottom & not ceiling), starts @ 700 AGL, then you could fly to 699 AGL only, (without FAA Waiver/Authorization).

The "Ceiling" of Class E is usually/often 17,999 MSL but does not have to be, if it is overlayed by a more restrictive airspace that happens to be lower, (the upside down wedding cake concept).

In your case, I believe you have uncontrolled "G" from the surface to "bottom of E" which begins @ 700 AGL. "E" is "E", and it is Controlled airspace that would not be able to be entered by a sUAS without prior permission.

I suspect the "Correct" answer to your FAA exam question that you are referring to was actually incorrect. It happens. The entire question & answer were probably poorly worded; the FAA is famous for that.

See the Part 107 Rule below: "Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with
the required ATC permission".

I would love to hear someone who is very Part 107 fluent, chime in. If I am wrong about entering Class E in Jim's example, I need to be corrected, pronto.

airspaceclassification.jpg

FAA News
Federal Aviation Administration, Washington, DC 20591
Operational Limitations

Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).

Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must
remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the
person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS.
Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain with
in VLOS of the visual observer.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close
enough to the remote pilot in command and the person
manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those
people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision
unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons
not directly participating in the operation, not under a
covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary
vehicle.

Daylight
-only operations, or civil twilight (30 minutes before
official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time)
with appropriate anti-collision lighting.

Must yield right of way to other aircraft.

May use visual observer (VO) but not required.

First-person view camera cannot satisfy “see-and-avoid”
requirement but can be used as long as requirement is
satisfied in other ways.

Maximum groundspeed of 100 mph (87 knots).

Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if
higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a
structure.

Minimum weather visibility of 3 miles from control station.

Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with
the required ATC permission.

Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without ATC
permission.

No person may act as a remote pilot in command or VO for
more than one unmanned aircraft operation at one time.

No operations from a moving aircraft.

No operations from a moving vehicle unless the operation is
over a sparsely populated area.

No careless or reckless operations.

No carriage of hazardous materials.

It is very unclear. The reason I had my question here is because of that question on the exam. I really need to get a definitive answer because here in Atlanta there are a lot of buildings that top out well into Class E. I wish the FAA stated their 400 foot rule something like "Maximum altitude of 400 feet AGL or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure BUT never if this means leaving Class G air space."

I am going to poke around a bit more to see if I can get any additional clarification. I have also seen a lot of videos taken in cities where I know the SUA is well over 700 AGL. But that does not mean it is in adherence.

Thanks for your answer. I would like to do better than we did in my other thread...

Class E airspace floor usually drops to 700 ft AGL in association with an airport under it, or near by. If this is the case, you would be able to fly to 723 ft AGL (mentioned in the FAA question) with proper clearance from ATC. The rule states that you must remain within 400 ft to the side or above the structure you are flying. Manned Aviators have clearance requirements from structures as well, and as long as you and a manned aircraft abide by your respective clearance requirements there should be no issues. Don't quote me, but I believe manned aviators are required to stay 500 ft above structures in rural areas and 1000 feet above in "congested areas." There is a misconception out there that you are strictly prohibited from flying in controlled airspace without a COA or waiver, which is not true. You just have to get clearance from ATC via a phone call, or email, or some other way that is not contacting CT on a radio frequency.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Class E airspace floor usually drops to 700 ft AGL in association with an airport under it, or near by. If this is the case, you would be able to fly to 723 ft AGL (mentioned in the FAA question) with proper clearance from ATC. The rule states that you must remain within 400 ft to the side or above the structure you are flying. Manned Aviators have clearance requirements from structures as well, and as long as you and a manned aircraft abide by your respective clearance requirements there should be no issues. Don't quote me, but I believe manned aviators are required to stay 500 ft above structures in rural areas and 1000 feet above in "congested areas." There is a misconception out there that you are strictly prohibited from flying in controlled airspace without a COA or waiver, which is not true. You just have to get clearance from ATC via a phone call, or email, or some other way that is not contacting CT on a radio frequency.

The question involved a Class E airport with no tower. There would be nobody to call and nobody to notify.

Don't quote me, but I believe manned aviators are required to stay 500 ft above structures in rural areas and 1000 feet above in "congested areas.

That may be a rule, but I spent the better part of more than 20 years flying 100 feet over the tops of buildings in Atlanta for about 2 hours every month. I was told by the pilots that a helicopter only has to operate under the guidelines that there be no threat to property or life. For that reason, we rarely flew under 300 AGL since anything under that and there is not enough descent time to 'charge up' the rotors with sufficient kinetic energy to make a successful auto-rotation. There were a decent number of situations in which a pilot WOULD make a rather high speed low approach in which the SPEED would be adequate to make an auto-rotation descent from under 100 feet, but getting a good photo while 100 feet off the ground while going 80 knots is a whole different problem.

Fixed wings, I am certain you are right. 'Sling wings'... I think they get cut a lot of slack. The good news is, they are not terribly fast and they make a racket. For that reason any operation above 300 AGL to me, personally, deserves a constant state of awareness for rotor craft.

That may be a rule, but I spent the better part of more than 20 years flying 100 feet over the tops of buildings in Atlanta for about 2 hours every month. I was told by the pilots that a helicopter only has to operate under the guidelines that there be no threat to property or life. For that reason, we rarely flew under 300 AGL since anything under that and there is not enough descent time to 'charge up' the rotors with sufficient kinetic energy to make a successful auto-rotation. There were a decent number of situations in which a pilot WOULD make a rather high speed low approach in which the SPEED would be adequate to make an auto-rotation descent from under 100 feet, but getting a good photo while 100 feet off the ground while going 80 knots is a whole different problem.

Fixed wings, I am certain you are right. 'Sling wings'... I think they get cut a lot of slack. The good news is, they are not terribly fast and they make a racket. For that reason any operation above 300 AGL to me, personally, deserves a constant state of awareness for rotor craft.
I agree with your logic here. But as far as rules and regulations go, rotory wing and fixed wing aircraft are held to the same standards in NAS. I'm assuming you were a crew chief or FE in the Army (Probably National Guard since you spent 20 years at one location). I was a Blackhawk crewchief for 7 years before switching to RQ-7B operator. Military Aircraft operate in the FAA's airspace while in the US and thus must legally abide by the same rules. Your pilots were incorrect when telling you that they could fly 100 feet off of a building in a city without special authorization. I'm not doubting that it happened, in fact, I'm sure that it did. I have seen some pretty sketchy stuff in my time (sketchy equals fun, lol). But I'm telling you man, follow part 107 rules and call ATC. Thats all you have to do. If ATC tells you to get a COA then you have to. (they probably wont). I had to take a month long course and pass the FAA's Private Pilot Knowledge Test, and the Part 107 certification test (UAG) for my military UAS stuff. The course was taught by FAA civilians and questions like this came up on a daily basis.

I agree with your logic here. But as far as rules and regulations go, rotory wing and fixed wing aircraft are held to the same standards in NAS. I'm assuming you were a crew chief or FE in the Army (Probably National Guard since you spent 20 years at one location). I was a Blackhawk crewchief for 7 years before switching to RQ-7B operator. Military Aircraft operate in the FAA's airspace while in the US and thus must legally abide by the same rules. Your pilots were incorrect when telling you that they could fly 100 feet off of a building in a city without special authorization. I'm not doubting that it happened, in fact, I'm sure that it did. I have seen some pretty sketchy stuff in my time (sketchy equals fun, lol). But I'm telling you man, follow part 107 rules and call ATC. Thats all you have to do. If ATC tells you to get a COA then you have to. (they probably wont). I had to take a month long course and pass the FAA's Private Pilot Knowledge Test, and the Part 107 certification test (UAG) for my military UAS stuff. The course was taught by FAA civilians and questions like this came up on a daily basis.

No military service here. All of my time flying in a helicopters was as a photographer. Had I know back in 1987 when I first started that it would continue for 22 years, with 90% of it in a dual control capable craft, I would have spent all of that cross-country-between-locations time training.

In Atlanta, and this is no joke, we routinely flew cross country around 350-500 AGL and around the major developments in the Peachtree Corridor, Midtown, Lenox and Buckhead (where 20-30 story building are everywhere) we would fly 100 feet over their tops all day long. I remember shooting the topping out of the NationsBank Tower (what it was called then, now Bank of America) and we were within 100 feet of the spire. Everyone did it. Still do. I asked the pilots expressly time and time again "What can you do... I need to get as close to this structure as I can" and I always got the same answer "We just have to be safe and that is up to the pilot." One day I buzzed my wife and kids in the back yard with a speedy swoop down about 50 feet over the trees.

But, with a Class E non-towered airport... what then? I still have read that UAS pilots under Part 107 are to NOT call ATC, but put their request in by using the web portal. There have been interviews with FAA personnel who admit that this is ridiculous because 90 days kills almost every commercial opportunity for aerial photographers.

Please give me a link where a commercial Part 107 operator is told to contact ATC directly. Hobbyists ARE given that instruction, oddly enough. They can simply alert a tower. Commercial operators need authorization and as best I can tell, we are being told to NOT bother anyone with a phone call. Here is just one of many places where I have read this...

How a Drone Pilot Should Contact Air Traffic Control
by Alan Perlman on February 10, 2016
Note, this post is no longer relative given the new Part 107 regulations. If you’re a commercial sUAS pilot, you are not supposed to contact ATC directly and should be using the FAA’s online ATC notification portal if you plan to operate in controlled (non class G) airspace.

How a Drone Pilot Should Contact Air Traffic Control | UAV Coach

and another one...

A UAS Pilot's Guide To (Not) Talking To The Tower - Drone Business Center

And the wait time is up to 90 days...

No military service here. All of my time flying in a helicopters was as a photographer. Had I know back in 1987 when I first started that it would continue for 22 years, with 90% of it in a dual control capable craft, I would have spent all of that cross-country-between-locations time training.

In Atlanta, and this is no joke, we routinely flew cross country around 350-500 AGL and around the major developments in the Peachtree Corridor, Midtown, Lenox and Buckhead (where 20-30 story building are everywhere) we would fly 100 feet over their tops all day long. I remember shooting the topping out of the NationsBank Tower (what it was called then, now Bank of America) and we were within 100 feet of the spire. Everyone did it. Still do. I asked the pilots expressly time and time again "What can you do... I need to get as close to this structure as I can" and I always got the same answer "We just have to be safe and that is up to the pilot." One day I buzzed my wife and kids in the back yard with a speedy swoop down about 50 feet over the trees.

But, with a Class E non-towered airport... what then? I still have read that UAS pilots under Part 107 are to NOT call ATC, but put their request in by using the web portal. There have been interviews with FAA personnel who admit that this is ridiculous because 90 days kills almost every commercial opportunity for aerial photographers.

Please give me a link where a commercial Part 107 operator is told to contact ATC directly. Hobbyists ARE given that instruction, oddly enough. They can simply alert a tower. Commercial operators need authorization and as best I can tell, we are being told to NOT bother anyone with a phone call. Here is just one of many places where I have read this...

How a Drone Pilot Should Contact Air Traffic Control
by Alan Perlman on February 10, 2016
Note, this post is no longer relative given the new Part 107 regulations. If you’re a commercial sUAS pilot, you are not supposed to contact ATC directly and should be using the FAA’s online ATC notification portal if you plan to operate in controlled (non class G) airspace.

How a Drone Pilot Should Contact Air Traffic Control | UAV Coach

and another one...

A UAS Pilot's Guide To (Not) Talking To The Tower - Drone Business Center

And the wait time is up to 90 days...
Everything that I have showed you is directly from the FAA website.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf
Start on page 329. There are two methods: Contact Local ATC, or file for a waiver.

Everything that I have showed you is directly from the FAA website.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf
Start on page 329. There are two methods: Contact Local ATC, or file for a waiver.

I did just what you stated. The document says there are two methods... CONTACT local ATC with jurisdiction is the first - then on 331, second paragraph, states that 'requests for authorization to operate a UAS in one of the above areas should be made IN WRITING or AN ELECTRONIC method AS DETERMINED by the FAA administrator and PUBLICIZED on the FAA web site".

From all else that I gather, that determination has been made and is now published on the FAA web site. And the final answer is... you use the web portal for such requests. And then you wait patiently for their response.

Look, for SOME reason, numerous writers of articles (two of which I provided) state with no ambiguity that the online portal is the ONLY WAY to do this now. I would wager they know more about this than either you or I and I am just taking their cue. Frankly, I would LIKE to be wrong on this. But I have found nothing that supports the idea that the current state of affairs allows for UAS to make a request in any other way.

A second reading of this section that you cited, while still a bit ambiguous, is this...

'
The first method is the same as what was proposed in t
he NPRM:
a remote pilot in command may seek approval from the ATC facility with jurisdiction over
the airspace in which the remote pilot would like to conduct operations. The second
method allows a remote pilot to request a waiver from this provision in or
der to operate in
Class B through E airspace.'

So, the first method is to request an authorization.

The second is to request a waiver.

BOTH are items that are listed on the online portal - Waiver/Airspace Authorization.

Ie., you can ask for a ONE TIME authorization, and you are asked to include the LOCAL ATC that has jurisdiction when you fill out the form (I examined this form front to back). Or, you can 'piss into the wind' and try to get a waiver that will last for 4 years... good luck with that.

I am not saying that you could not pick up the phone and find someone friendly enough to help with this. I AM saying that the FAA appears to not want to clog their system up with requests that could become a burden on their staff.

A helicopter pilot picks up the phone and calls the tower when they need authorization and have it within minutes. We cannot do that. And, still, even with your documentation, I see nothing that instructs anyone to pick up a phone and call anyone for such a request.

Last edited:
It is very unclear. The reason I had my question here is because of that question on the exam. I really need to get a definitive answer because here in Atlanta there are a lot of buildings that top out well into Class E. I wish the FAA stated their 400 foot rule something like "Maximum altitude of 400 feet AGL or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure BUT never if this means leaving Class G air space."

I am going to poke around a bit more to see if I can get any additional clarification. I have also seen a lot of videos taken in cities where I know the SUA is well over 700 AGL. But that does not mean it is in adherence.

Thanks for your answer. I would like to do better than we did in my other thread...

First off, I want to apologize for chewing you ear tips off. I was angrier with another person who popped up in the thread, (who shall remain un-named, and is forever dead to me).

Also, a lot of us who have been flying full size aircraft for years are in a state of shock, and angry with the FAA for allowing the airspace to be invaded by folks who have no clue about rules/regs and airspace, ( I’m not talking about you).

I’ll be candid here. The guy & gals who are actually sitting in airplanes have “skin in the game”; our very lives are on the line every day. Safety, and awareness/adherence of all rules, has always been our best chance at staying alive. The “drone” pilot, on the other hand, only is out his UAS if he/she flies with arrogance, ignorance, or complacency, (the three killers in aviation). They may maim or kill others, (it’s coming to a neighborhood near you soon), but they themselves will be physically unscathed.

What we are now calling the Part 107 “commercial” certificate, should have been the minimum requirement for recreational drone fliers, who are now all over the airspace with little or no knowledge.

This misstep by the FAA is unprecedented in the history of aviation in the USA. And now the genie is out of the bottle.

But, back to your issue at hand.

You made me chuckle when you said, “I wish the FAA stated their 400 foot rule something like "Maximum altitude of 400 feet AGL or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure BUT never if this means leaving Class G air space.".

Welcome to the mystical world of the FAA! They are renowned for vague, ambiguous rules, while demanding adherence to them, resolutely. Worse yet, if you call your local FAA- FSDO for a clarification, six times in a row, and speak to six different FAA employees there, you will probably get four different interpretations of the same FAR. Just for fun, try it sometime.

So, as pilots wanting to do the right thing, where does this leave us?

Well, do you're best to never draw the wrath of the FAA.

If in doubt, don’t. And if you’re in doubt about if you’re in doubt, don’t.

As far as the guys you see flying drones way up in the sky around Atlanta, they may be breaking the law, or they may have waivers/authorizations, (I doubt it). Time will tell. Atlanta is a big place and the airspace rules are complex. The entire metropolitan area is Class B, but the bottoms can go from surface to 3500 MSL depending where you are. Class D is common throughout the area also. And you are with-in “E”, (bottom at 700 AGL), too, unless your up in the North East corner.

If you do not already use it already, take a look at VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

It allows you to toggle between a Google Earth views so you can locate your desired flight area, to VFR Sectional Chart view allowing you to study Airspace designations

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 107 Certs. Must. Use. Portal... ATC now has also been cultured to know that they do not have the authority to grant anything to a Part 107 remote pilot.

And CTS' position here is shared by every pilot I've run into. One of my friends who does local commercial cargo runs told me the same as CTS, Part 107 should be the minimum for hobbyists. He's had several encounters with drones, including one in which he had to maneuver to avoid collision. And he's used the same terminology, "skin in the game."

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Here's the issue. For Classe E airspace, the rule (regulation) only requires ATC authorization/waiver when the Class E goes to the surface.
§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).
That's why the "correct" answers in the test questions allow for the operation into Class E above 700 AGL when operating 400' above a structure. However, the FAA website paraphrases and just says "Class E airspace". As stated before, FAA rules are not always clear. Especially when they post "guidelines" on their website that don't quite meet the full language is the regulation.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Here's the issue. For Classe E airspace, the rule (regulation) only requires ATC authorization/waiver when the Class E goes to the surface.
§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).
That's why the "correct" answers in the test questions allow for the operation into Class E above 700 AGL when operating 400' above a structure. However, the FAA website paraphrases and just says "Class E airspace". As stated before, FAA rules are not always clear. Especially when they post "guidelines" on their website that don't quite meet the full language is the regulation.
You Sir, I believe, are right on the money. A hat tip to you. That wording is clear, but the implications are subtle. Good job. I stand corrected. Thank you.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Here is my solution Jim. Fly off the top of the building you want to shoot or one nearby with good visibility. Use a spotter to watch the drone. If you are downtown, try to fly before or after rush hour - less air traffic. Plan it all in advance so you only spend 10 minutes. Get it and go.
I'm in a country that will not give me a drone license because I am a foreigner. It works for me.

Here is my solution Jim. Fly off the top of the building you want to shoot or one nearby with good visibility. Use a spotter to watch the drone. If you are downtown, try to fly before or after rush hour - less air traffic. Plan it all in advance so you only spend 10 minutes. Get it and go.
I'm in a country that will not give me a drone license because I am a foreigner. It works for me.

Watch for helicopters.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4