Shoot in 2.7K or 4K for 1080P render?

Reaction score
Wondering if people shoot in 2.7K or 4K so they have ability to crop when producing 1080p? I've found that 99% of the time the framing of my video is just fine as-is. Shooting in 4K just creates unnecessarily large files and makes the editing process slower. Maybe 2.7k is a good compromise. I'm wondering though, wouldn't the image quality of 1080p being better when shot in 1080p instead of 2.7k due to the pixel interpolation or is it not noticeable to the human eye?

I suppose another argument is (similar to the encode your audio in FLAC rather than MP3 or M4A), if you ever anticipate having to edit the video again down the road, you want to archive it in the highest resolution possible (as long as your editing workstation can handle it.)

But my question is what if this is a one-time use and the video will be "thrown away" a few months after shooting (this is for Real Estate video). 2.7K compromise to allow for some cropping without going under 1080p resolution? Or if you are confident you won't be doing cropping, shoot 1080P?

Unless what I'm shooting is going to end up under 1 minute I hardly ever shoot in 4K. The files get huge, I like 2.7, heck most of my stuff is 1080 60fps

1080p is good enough final quality for me, so I shoot in 1080p/60 for buttery smooth motion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik