Shockingly poor flight time

could someone post settings for better flight times please. im only getting 7 mins. would like to get longer flights. not sure what would be safe settings thanks

mikey said:
SimonH78 said:
If you leave the standard stock voltage settings in the "Assistant software" it will only fly a short time, these need tweeking down to the minimum allowable to get longer flight times...

So you're saying stock fc40 is only expected to get 7-8 min? My first flight I was over 12 min, took the craft as high as I could till I could hardly see it... flew back and forth, twirled around etc. second flight was similar... third flight a little lighter.. all three flights were over 10 min, and the second two nearing the 12 min mark.. but my fourth and fifth both under 8 minutes?? something seems wrong to me..

Flight time is dependent on a number of factors. Low temps, wind, aggressive flying, high take off weight all reduce flight times.
If you look at the specs you can see the FC40 uses 3W of power. A 2200mAh battery has a usable power reserve of 12 x ((2200 x 0.8)/1000) Watts. That comes out at 21W. So 7 minutes is about right as a minimum under ideal conditions. The 0.8 is the maximum you should discharge the battery by (80%).

In terms of your observations if you hadn't recharged the battery after your 4th flight then of course it will still register a low battery condition. Your son continued flying it through the reserve time available to get it back to the ground.

The occasions where you had 12 minutes may have been longer due to the way you were flying or weather conditions being more optimal or perhaps you didn't see the red light till later due to orientation/distance of the aircraft.

From what I recall the quoted flight time is only around 10-15 mins anyway (without any cameras). If you want longer flight times without modifying your Phantom you need a Phantom 2.

I dont have much extra weight on my fc40 and tho I can some times get 10 to 12 minutes on some of my 2200mahs its not the norm and mostly only if Im doing real easy flying and hovering. But even then If I get more then 10 minuets it takes the battery down real low which is not good to do to a lipo and can shorten its life and its capacity which will lead to getting less and less time out of one. But mostly I only get about 9 good minutes out of the 2,200Mah esp the stock DJI battery's. There not really all that high quality battery to begin with. I have some cheap ones that I can get 9 or 10 out of with out beating them. But keep in mind i'm only running the stock camera an anti jello mount a flytrex and a battery alarm buzzer which only ad a few extra grams.

So 7 mins with all the added weight don't sound to short esp if they have been run a few charge cycles already and ran down real low a few times or if you also charge them and leave them charged fully for awhile. I get the best time if my battery is pretty fresh off the charger. and I now mostly only use 2700's now and still only get about 10-12 minutes most of the time on them. and able to pull them off with about 10.8 to 11.2 ish or so volts.

I get 25 min with my FC40 and dual parallel 3700mah batteries don't have a gimbal yet but I am working on calibrating it before taking it up. I get around 16 to 17 min with my 2200mah stock batteries set in parallel, I fly it pretty hard. I turn off my low voltage cut off, I just gauge my batteries with a cheap battery buzzer and get the time the batteries take to hit 3.6v and set off my buzzer then record it and if I fly far and cant hear the buzzer I know my time limit. I rather ruin 60 bucks worth of Lipo batteries then the phantom go down from low battery cut off if I couldn't get it home in time...(or if its over water *shudder*)

This is what my setup looks like:
2014-07-08%2013.35.48.jpg

I got maybe 9min tops with the stock lipo. And that's flying it at a moderate pace. When I get the 1st level flashing I always bring it close and fly it very softly(hardly any lift)for another 2 or so min. So yes 8-9min avg with the 2200mah and I get @10 or so with a 2700mah. I also use a timer and when it hits 7min I always make sure it's close by.

A lot are still thinking the 80% rule is measured on the "voltage", this is not correct its the total for "Ma's" used so when you recharge using a charger that can measure the Mah the stock 2200 Mah lipo can have safely use 1,760Mah (80%) also the stock charger I have routinely under charges leaves a full lipo at 12.45 , not 12.60as it should be on full, I finish them off on my other balance charger, it adds another 100mah worth of electric!- I also fly 3D electric helicopters using lipos to their full potential and this uses the lipo far more agressively using the same rules we have no issues nominal voltage for a single cell is 3.2 so a safely flat 3cell is 9.6 - just my thoughts on this from experience I have had.

my battery is 12.6 I set these numbers 1,, 11.40 0.60 10.80 2nd 11.20 0.60 10.60 first red light at 4.15 mins 2nd flashing red landed at 7 mins, this was with a 4000 mah. im getting the same times with a 2200, 2700, & 4000 mah, can someone give me some help on this -`(oh and the battery came back with 11.4 v ) what am I doing wrong,? sure am glad I don't have to do this ******** when flying the SABs, im thinking about turning the volt thing off, fly it until the alarm , if I flew over land it wouldn't be a big deal, got tons of batts, but I only fly over water, so I want to get the most time, but with enough time to get home, to bad I cant auto it in. IM lost, iv watch videos on this , but still don't understand it, what numbers would be the best if my all my battery are 12.6 full charged. on a good charger. :?: :?: :?: :?:

pert said:
my battery is 12.6 I set these numbers 1,, 11.40 0.60 10.80 2nd 11.20 0.60 10.60 first red light at 4.15 mins 2nd flashing red landed at 7 mins, this was with a 4000 mah. im getting the same times with a 2200, 2700, & 4000 mah, can someone give me some help on this -`(oh and the battery came back with 11.4 v ) what am I doing wrong,? sure am glad I don't have to do this ******** when flying the SABs, im thinking about turning the volt thing off, fly it until the alarm , if I flew over land it wouldn't be a big deal, got tons of batts, but I only fly over water, so I want to get the most time, but with enough time to get home, to bad I cant auto it in. IM lost, iv watch videos on this , but still don't understand it, what numbers would be the best if my all my battery are 12.6 full charged. on a good charger. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Set your 1st warning at 10.7 and 2nd at 10.4 - that'll give you adequate time from 1st to 2nd to get home.

I'm lost I can't get any of the numbers in the loaded to high lite Dam this thing I plug in 12.6 No load 11.10. Loss 0.60v loaded 10.50. Second lev. 10.90 loss 0.60 Loaded 10.30. Now how do I change this it won't let me change the loaded numbers or those numbers you gave me are they for the no load? Getting tired of this thing low flight times suck What am I doing wrong?

"no load" - "loss" = "loaded"

you can change "no load" & "loss" to get a number you want for "loaded" ;)

I give up, im going to try it without the volt thing, I have an alarm on it, going to do some test flights, see how much time I have after alarm goes off to land. as soon as it stops raining, this has been the worst summer, no rain since xmas , then we get 4 weeks of rain. feel sorry for all tourist 13 inch of rain this month, thanks anyways, just a bit grumpy today :evil:

pert said:
What am I doing wrong?

Excuse me if I insult your intelligence here but are you putting a decimal point (.) or a comma (,) in the values? My values wouldn't change unless I used a comma, which I found a bit silly.

pert said:
I use one of these. .....

Have you tried using one of these ,,,,,,, ?

no. but I got 10 min today before any red light. dam IM so happy, I didn't wait for the red light, landed checked % was 15%. so im not touching anything and that's dumb having to use these ,,,,,,, thanks all.............. :lol:

pert said:
no. but I got 10 min today before any red light. dam IM so happy, I didn't wait for the red light, landed checked % was 15%. so im not touching anything and that's dumb having to use these ,,,,,,, thanks all.............. :lol:
Pert, my flight time is lousy as well. Was 10min + first couple flights, but I can't seem to get past 6 min now. Even with the 4000mAh UK turnigys :( what did you do to get your flight time up?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl