Shipping - Europe to USA

Reaction score
I guess I am learning the large difference in shipping something from Europe to the USA or shipping from China to the USA. All of the China shipments in the past have arrived in 10 to 18 days. I only had one that took 22 days. Looking at tracking it was "lost" in Chicago customs for 6 days. Well the shipment from the Netherlands has now passed the 19 day mark and tracking shows it is still somewhere in Europe. Maybe it is passed from Country to Country as it works the way to where ever it will get on a plane and jump the big pond. I sure hope they don't put it on a boat! Makes a person almost think twice if what you want comes from the other side of the "Big Pond."

Oh my god you can say that again! Last overseas shipment I had took 2 months to get here! Now when I look for stuff, I only buy from the U.S. even if it means paying a little more.

That's rediculous.
There are two basic ways of sending things to the US: by air (priority), by sea (economy).
I send everything to the US priority and it is 10 days maximum.
None of the post offices "wait for a flight". The only reason something could be held up is a problem getting through export customs for whatever reason (usually the sender neglecting to add value or description).
Anything that takes more than two weeks means it was sent by boat. The price difference is not worth sending economy, unless its something large or heavy.
Then there's DHL and UPS of course, usually too expensive.

And no, tracking never says "on boat". So if its in transport, but the last event was in NL, it looks like it was sent by boat. The tracking isn't updated until someone unloads it and USPS takes over.

Fyod,
Interesting info on shipping. Seller stated free shipping and did not state it was on "a slow boat from China." In this case, from Europe. All I can do is wait and see if/when it shows up here in the USA. Tells me not to purchase from this company again. Claim they are located in Eastern USA and have item in stock. Then after order placed shipping notice coming from other side of big pond. I don't often order a second time from a company that lies to me.

I would recommend always asking if the shipping is airmail and ideally trackable. Insurance is good because then the post offices tend not to damage/lose stuff because they can be held liable.
Without tracking you also have no way of proving you never received an item and you may not be able to find out if customs needs some info.
For example I send packages usually up to 8 pounds, insured, trackable and the price is usually under $30. That price is the same for almost the whole world except Africa and some small island countries.

Your description sounds like dropshipping, where the seller can actually be on the East Coast, but you get the package from who knows where.
Either that or the seller lied in their location. Lots of Chinese sellers do both on Ebay, although I've noticed Ebay has taken measures against it.

Good info.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj