She's gone... Yep, another fly away. (UPDATE: FOUND!!)

Re: She's gone... Yep, another fly away.

There have just been too many fly aways with the Phantom to not be bothered, and to not consider getting a different UAV.

Also, DJI's communication department has been just dismal in not responding to these concerns- not a good combination.

I am presently ready to abandon my investment in the Phantom and go elsewhere. I am a serious, professional user of UAV's and need reliability and good communication.

killthe5pairs said:
r u using firmware 3.16 theres a bug in that even if you do all the safety procedures calibrate everything etc,, mine fly away after i upgrade and i do all i mean all 100% procedure to perfect my flight with
a brand new zenmuse,carbon fiber props,go pro3, TO ALL PHANTOM PILOTS PUT YOUR NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF THE QUAD **** HAPPENS... i recover my quad from that, but with all brand new stuff broken.on the edge of going pro on aerial videography now my dream just fly away... heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIvzLANYU1g

Considering the gimbal and camera weight, and the flight was almost 11 minutes, is that the sort of flight time you've been getting with that weight?? Was it a fly away or did it run out of power?

bumper

killthe5pairs said:
r u using firmware 3.16 theres a bug in that even if you do all the safety procedures calibrate everything etc,, mine fly away after i upgrade and i do all i mean all 100% procedure to perfect my flight with
a brand new zenmuse,carbon fiber props,go pro3, TO ALL PHANTOM PILOTS PUT YOUR NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF THE QUAD **** HAPPENS... i recover my quad from that, but with all brand new stuff broken.on the edge of going pro on aerial videography now my dream just fly away... heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIvzLANYU1g

That doesn't really look like a flyaway - the sideways slide at 10:25 looks pretty slow and controlled ... then it hits a big antenna.

If that was a mobile phone or other broadcast tower, then that probably wasn't a great place to fly.

Re: She's gone... Yep, another fly away. (UPDATE: FOUND!! VI

This is pretty epic. After a thorough search of the area we came to one conclusion, this thing had to be on the roof of the building I was near. As you will see in the video the craft was pretty unstable from the get go. My attempts to gain control just made things worse. Not touching the controls helped as it seemed to hover in some places and then do circles in the area.

When I finally shut off the controller you see it head at a sharp angle (about 3mins in) towards where I'm at in the parking lot. Then it makes a B line for the road and finally hits the roof, miraculously escapes the vents at a perfect angle and then goes to the adjacent roof, hovers and finally lands. Pretty as you please. I'm almost 95% certain this was due to the compass. The evening before I had swapped out the landing skids for some carbon fiber ones and "Maikels" landing kit. The compass had to be refitted and even though I did an IMU advanced setup, I suspect it wasn't enough. I should have done a compass calibration as well. Anyhow, here it is. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvxhjylMbU[/youtube]

DeweyAXD said:
Good man! Really pleased to see you got it back... on the move at the moment but I'll look forward to seeing the vid!

It's quite something.. Really shows how nuts the thing was acting.. I bought a new Spektrum TX 7s yesterday, since I didnt have to by a new quad! :D

Really don't know what to make of that behaviour. Seems like it is fighting itself internally that is for sure so I guess the compass could well be the situation!
Lets say when you took off that north was facing straight forward... well it seems hell bent on heading South West. Almost like it is fighting itself to go there.
I have to admit that looks like a really bad spot to fly from an interference perspective. Warehouses with alarm systems, the near by docks with radio systems and radar... a whole lot of crazy crap going on up in the airwaves there.

Have you flown since or are you going to go straight in with a replacement compass just to be safe? The compass should warn you if it is out of kilter via a red/yellow warning at take off too.

Either way a great vid and even better that you found it unharmed!

DeweyAXD said:
Really don't know what to make of that behaviour. Seems like it is fighting itself internally that is for sure so I guess the compass could well be the situation!
Lets say when you took off that north was facing straight forward... well it seems hell bent on heading South West. Almost like it is fighting itself to go there.
I have to admit that looks like a really bad spot to fly from an interference perspective. Warehouses with alarm systems, the near by docks with radio systems and radar... a whole lot of crazy crap going on up in the airwaves there.

Have you flown since or are you going to go straight in with a replacement compass just to be safe? The compass should warn you if it is out of kilter via a red/yellow warning at take off too.

I admit its not an ideal location. Ive never had anything close to this kind of behavior though. The warehouse building that it landed on next to me is actually almost completely vacant. I cant get a wifi signal from anywhere near there. The docks behind me are closed on the weekends. Those are actually telephone poles down the street, so, even if they did give off some RF it wouldn't be much. Overall, I was lucky. Im going to be a lot more conscious of the compass from now on. I might even replace it with that "all-in-one" unit they sell and just have it stick up from the back.. Glad to be back!!!

Glockindahaus said:
DeweyAXD said:

I admit its not an ideal location. Ive never had anything close to this kind of behavior though. The warehouse building that it landed on next to me is actually almost completely vacant. I cant get a wifi signal from anywhere near there. The docks behind me are closed on the weekends. Those are actually telephone poles down the street, so, even if they did give off some RF it wouldn't be much. Overall, I was lucky. Im going to be a lot more conscious of the compass from now on. I might even replace it with that "all-in-one" unit they sell and just have it stick up from the back.. Glad to be back!!!

GTU10 would be the next thing too ;) I hate the extra weight of mine (its much but anything is more than you want!).I do however like knowing I've got like 5 weeks to find it if it goes down.
Glad you are back too.... I actually made the Nano-Tech cage but never uploaded it last week cause you were my only confirmed potential customer!

I'm almost 95% certain this was due to the compass. The evening before I had swapped out the landing skids for some carbon fiber ones and "Maikels" landing kit. The compass had to be refitted and even though I did an IMU advanced setup, I suspect it wasn't enough. I should have done a compass calibration as well.

Glad you found it, well done!
Swapping the skids would mean you removed & re-attached the compass? I've read that it needs to be aligned correctly, physically. There's a post somewhere, & they have cut & refitted the original leg to solve compass dramas. Perhaps not a Dji flyaway?
I've still got one missing in the bush with no man made structures within 50km & a mate spent an hour in a R22 hovering in increasing circles with no luck

DeweyAXD said:
Glockindahaus said:
DeweyAXD said:

GTU10 would be the next thing too ;) I hate the extra weight of mine (its much but anything is more than you want!).I do however like knowing I've got like 5 weeks to find it if it goes down.
Glad you are back too.... I actually made the Nano-Tech cage but never uploaded it last week cause you were my only confirmed potential customer!

I'll have to look up that GTU10. Sound like a GPS locator?

Get Crackin on that cage! :D I just ordered 2 x 3000 mah Zippy Flightmax batteries too! If you'll make a dual cage, I would buy it! Probably too much weight but would be fun to try!

Does this mean DJI aren't crap anymore, the Nazza is now ok and that you're no longer going to Sue them? LOL :lol:

Ahem... I believe I called it! Had to be on one of those roofs (I know exactly where u were, band I was in used to practice in one of those shops). Outstanding!! How'd you find it? Another UVA?

While we are on the subject, my,son and I were practicing flipping our nanos tonight in the yard when mine just drifted away over the house and gone. Lost signal w tx. :cry: I love that little bugger. Guess ill be checking roofs in the am.

Cheers!

Another FOUND! Tossed my son on the roof and he found the little qx no problem.

Loppy said:

This sounds like the beginning of a children's story:

There once was a Phantom that flew on a roof,
I don't know why, it just wanted proof,
He sent up the nano to find the Phantom,
It got stuck too, the poor little bantam,
He sent up his kid to find one or the other,
Please, please, please don't tell his mother,
He sent up his dog to find the kid,
Don't ask me why, that's what he did,
He climbed up himself to find them all,
Then off of the roof, the ladder did fall,
He sat up there, afraid for his life,
His greatest fear, the wrath of his wife.

mroberts said:
Loppy said:

This sounds like the beginning of a children's story:

There once was a Phantom that flew on a roof,
I don't know why, it just wanted proof,
He sent up the nano to find the Phantom,
It got stuck too, the poor little bantam,
He sent up his kid to find one or the other,
Please, please, please don't tell his mother,
He sent up his dog to find the kid,
Don't ask me why, that's what he did,
He climbed up himself to find them all,
Then off of the roof, the ladder did fall,
He sat up there, afraid for his life,
His greatest fear, the wrath of his wife.

Hahahahaha. Nice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair