Shell Crack - rear motor screws

Reaction score
I routinely check my Phantom 3 Standard for shell cracks and up until today all has been well. However, tonight I see 2 cracks - one is somewhat superficial, but the other crack connects between 2 of the motor screws (or what i think is the motor screws). This is on the rear left arm if you're looking at it from the front.

I've read a little about the cracking issue, but thought it was fixed with the new(er) P3 builds.

Is it still safe to fly it? I've read of people ziptieing the arms to prevent flex, which I'm not opposed to. Has this happened to anyone else?

If anyone's curious I have 63 flights, 5 hours of flight time and 77K feet of travel distance. I have never crashed, or had a hard landing. No problems until now (well except for inconsistency with the FPV range/GO app).

You need to keep a close check on it. After every flight make sure it's still intact and not growing. Mine got so bad I could flex the motor. Had to epoxy the mounts and the crack. Still flying and all is well. That's one of my post flight checks. Don't want her dropping out from 200 ft. If it gets worse I will change out the shell. Mine is out of warranty so it's on me.

Reactions: jettabrett92
Thanks Roy. I'd like to try to repair it myself ( I've heard some horror stories about 3-4 month repair times at DJI).

I'm kind of a novice when it comes to epoxies. Is there a particular epoxy/glue you would recommend? Preferably I'd like to pick it up locally.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, so I opened my Phantom tonight to survey the damage. I'll let the pictures do the talking. From what I can tell, the 2 cracks must be minor surface cracks. I carefully examined the shell motor mount and can't find anything. I hated to go through all the trouble of opening it up just to close it back up, but that's what I did. I do feel more confident in the build quality. As you can there are multiple braces molded in and the screw cylinder housings look a little "beefed up", at least compared to older phantoms. There's no wobble to the motor so I'm just going to fly it (more gently) and just check it every flight.

Attachments

• 2016-04-04 18.39.02.jpg
    2016-04-04 18.39.02.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 533
  • 2016-04-04 19.01.03.jpg
    2016-04-04 19.01.03.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 529
  • 2016-04-04 19.01.49.jpg
    2016-04-04 19.01.49.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 479
  • 2016-04-04 19.10.44.jpg
    2016-04-04 19.10.44.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 491
Here's a picture of the older phantoms - it's missing the "X Brace" as well as some of the other bracing. Took this from another thread on here (Thanks).
full

I wouldn't be afraid of DJI service, atleast if you are sending it to the California center. Mine dropped out of the sky like a rock, pulled it out of a tree in a neighbors yard, DJI sent me a shipping label without question and did the actual repair in 3 days. The longest part is fedex shipping time. Will be getting my phantom back this Friday, less than 3 weeks turnaround time.

DSCN5852.JPG
DSCN5946.JPG
DSCN5945.JPG
2 things that I would do. Of course, you may choose a different method:

1st, I would get a prop balancer and make certain your props are balanced. That is the only thing that will cause that crack if you haven't crashed it.

and 2nd, I wouldn't sweat it. I would get some Loc-Tite plastic epoxy and spread over/cover the crack and not worry about it anymore. Loc-tite is the shiz-nit:
DSCN5946.JPG
DSCN5945.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4