She won't hover like she used to...

Reaction score
So, I hit a bushy tree.... My first (but not last one).
Damage:
1) broke a couple of propellor blades
2) slightly bent the tip of another.
3) knocked the c-clip off one of the motors....

So, I took the motor out a bit and replaced the c-clip and spacer (which were both inside the phantom body and needed to be shook out). I replaced the 2 broken blades. left the one with the slight (very slight) bend at the end on the machine.

Next time I took it out, it won't hover via gps like it used to. It stays put, but in a large circle (maybe 10ft. in diameter at times). It used to pretty much stand still in the same exact location before.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
1) Do you think the bent tip would affect the flight of it that much?
2) Is the motor doing something weird?

Oh, and here is a video of my first weekend with my new phantom vision 2:
http://vimeo.com/83265711

I love this thing!

you are flying with a bent tip? that could absolutely affect your flight and cause your issue.

a tiny bend at the end... I have to look a bit to even find the prop with the bend...(i don't have any spares at the moment)
However, I assumed that was most likely the problem

I just re-calibrated the IMU (even though it said it didn't need it).
Still drifting....

slapface said:
Next time I took it out, it won't hover via gps like it used to. It stays put, but in a large circle (maybe 10ft. in diameter at times). It used to pretty much stand still in the same exact location before.

I love this thing!

you are prolly too low to the ground get to about 10-14 feet up and try again?

Yes, I calibrated the compass before each flight.
As for the height, really doesn't matter, it still drifts.
If I fly it down the road, it will drift the left.
Then, when I stop, it slides hard to the left about 15 feet before coming back.
Basically, nothing like it did just a week ago in the same exact space, doing the same maneuvers.

slapface said:
Yes, I calibrated the compass before each flight.
As for the height, really doesn't matter, it still drifts.
If I fly it down the road, it will drift the left.
Then, when I stop, it slides hard to the left about 15 feet before coming back.
Basically, nothing like it did just a week ago in the same exact space, doing the same maneuvers.

Which side is the "bent" prop on?

-slinger

That would be the front left corner (slight bend on the tip)

Maybe I should switch it to the back right and see if it veers to the right.

Then I would know it was the prop (since I don't have a new one to try out right now)

slapface said:
That would be the front left corner (slight bend on the tip)

Maybe I should switch it to the back right and see if it veers to the right.

Then I would know it was the prop (since I don't have a new one to try out right now)

Yup... That's where I was going with that... :D

So I swapped the front left for the rear right and it still behaves the exact way. That worries me a bit.
Any thoughts now? I can't even land it without having the steer to the side a bit to keep it from drifting.

Forgot to mention.
I did update the firmware to the latest version this morning.
Didn't seem to do this drifting as bad before that.

I'd be more concerned with the motor that got its C-clip & washer popped... Props off, do the motors spin & sound the same when you ramp them up & down? Have you Got an Optical Digital Tachometer handy? Too bad they're not plug-and-play else I'd suggest swapping them. Check the one motor for any sluggishness or binding in comparison to the others. Try pulling up on the shaft when you spin them (as when there's lift) to check for smooth rotation.

Edit: Very nice video! Vision being used for what it was designed to do... Fun & Smiles!

iDrone

Problems aside... That was a really nice video especially for having the Phantom such short time, i guess you also like to take chances while flying? ;)

slapface said:
here is a video of my first weekend with my new phantom vision 2:

I love this thing!

Ok you better get that machine fixed soon because the Phantom film community needs your input ! Fantastic film and I happily award you the Shrimpy best film so far award. This is how its done folks. Strong visuals, good music, strong editing, lots of different shots, great close ups, a pretty location. Brilliant. :ugeek:

Well done please post some more.

slapface said:
So, I hit a bushy tree.... My first (but not last one).
Damage:
1) broke a couple of propellor blades
2) slightly bent the tip of another.
3) knocked the c-clip off one of the motors....

So, I took the motor out a bit and replaced the c-clip and spacer (which were both inside the phantom body and needed to be shook out). I replaced the 2 broken blades. left the one with the slight (very slight) bend at the end on the machine.

I love this thing!

Your video shows me people are wrong about the quality. Really cool one! The one who controls the camera is more important then the camera itself. Short clips are the way to do it :)

Ok,
Those props are spinning a lot so when the prop is out of balance you notice that. When something is bend, you will notice that even more. I woudn´t even fly when something is bend.
Putting back the c-clip on a brushless motor is easy if it didn´t break. When it is not good attached, the motor won´t spin as it should. You are lucky you where still able to find the c-clip and i wonder how you manage to loose it anyway.

I am surprised nobody is looking for carbon props here. The soft blades are easy out of balance. I was looking for the Graupner blades. Just looking around at the moment because i don´t buy without doing my homework but your video will be more stable with some nice carbon props on it ;)

iDrone said:
I'd be more concerned with the motor that got its C-clip & washer popped... Props off, do the motors spin & sound the same when you ramp them up & down? Have you Got an Optical Digital Tachometer handy? Too bad they're not plug-and-play else I'd suggest swapping them. Check the one motor for any sluggishness or binding in comparison to the others. Try pulling up on the shaft when you spin them (as when there's lift) to check for smooth rotation.

Edit: Very nice video! Vision being used for what it was designed to do... Fun & Smiles!

iDrone

+1 on that motor... with props on, give it a little throttle, then shut down. Is the prop on that motor binding and shutting down before the other three with a quick transition to stop rather than a gradual one? I'd try that a number of times, while not giving it enough throttle to get it airborne, to see if there are any peculiarities with that specific motor.

-slinger

Also... That's the best video I've ever seen done with a P2V. Beautiful job, sir...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20