She almost blew away.

Reaction score
I was at my brothers house yesterday and took up the p3p for a quick flight. I had 16 satellites on p-gps and while it wasn't too windy, it was windy (8mph sustained, 12mph gusting). Not terrible, but a bit breezy. I was expecting the craft to fight the wind and hold a gps lock within a few feet (a 10-15ft diameter would have been acceptable I thought), but about 7 min in to the flight at 390ft it just started to blow away. It was going great up till then, but then it just gave up and blew about a quarter mile away, before I brought it back. It came back against the wind fine, so it's not like the wind was overwhelming it, but it is curious. I do have a lot of my sensitivity turned down in the go app, because this is uav is only a flying camera and I just need slow smooth video and sharp stills. My question is, could the low sensitivity settings in the app translate to less aggressive geolocking or whatever you call it?

No. Are you sure you didn't switch to Atti mode? Upload your log to HealthyDrones so we can find out if you lost GPS.

I was expecting the craft to fight the wind and hold a gps lock within a few feet (a 10-15ft diameter would have been acceptable I thought), but about 7 min in to the flight at 390ft it just started to blow away. It was going great up till then, but then it just gave up and blew about a quarter mile away, before I brought it back. It came back against the wind fine, so it's not like the wind was overwhelming it, but it is curious.
With GPS lock your Phantom will hold position to within 1-2 feet even in 20 knot winds.
If you lose GPS lock it defaults to atti mode and holds altitude but can drift with the wind unless to take control.

On old firmware there was a fly away bug. On 1.6 it will stay steady in 15mph wind. If you go up the wind is higher and you'll have to manually fly to recover. Drone can go 37mph manually. The fly-away bug is mostly fixed. What version are you on?

On old firmware there was a fly away bug. On 1.6 it will stay steady in 15mph wind. If you go up the wind is higher and you'll have to manually fly to recover. Drone can go 37mph manually. The fly-away bug is mostly fixed. What version are you on?
A flyaway bug?
I read way too much on the forums and I haven't heard anything of that???
The Phantom 3 running any firmware is remarkably free of any tendency to flyaway.
With the latest firmware your Phantom will be as stable in the air as on any earlier version.

I've lost a P2 b/c of wind. A 10 mph breeze at the surface may be 50 mph a 1000' up. Trust me, I learned the hard way, lol.

Reactions: NYRangers99
I've lost a P2 b/c of wind. A 10 mph breeze at the surface may be 50 mph a 1000' up. Trust me, I learned the hard way, lol.
I agree with Ohary...wind changes big time at different heights
Not a factor in this case or he wouldn't have got it back.
He wasn't up in the jetstream.

How far away from your last compass calibration?
The symptoms he explained have nothing to do with compass calibration.
If there is any problem with compass calibration, what you will observe is a Phantom that can't fly straight.
It tracks along a cirve or in bad cases it slowly spirals.

Reactions: Sagebrush
Sounds like something interfered with the GPS signal. Either that or it went ATTI mode without you realizing it.

At 390 feet the winbd cxan be way stronger than you feel at the ground. You can measure the speed at altitude using ATTI mode. Also if you upload your log file to healthydrones.com there is a wind page/report there which runs off your data.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'm on all the latest firmware and app versions (1.6 for the quad). Busy day today, but I'll work on getting the log up tonight. It might have lost gps and I not noticed it. I calibrated the compass two flights ago.

Sounds like something interfered with the GPS signal. Either that or it went ATTI mode without you realizing it.
Maybe the wind blew it into ATTI mode...that wind is strong this time of year!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.