Shapeways Undertray with Fatshark TX compartment - IS HERE!

Reaction score
Well thanks mostly to Simensays for inspiring me to get back into 3D modelling. I have just taken my first stab at using Shapeways with this:

It is a custom undertray with a compartment specifically modelled for the (lumpy) stock Fatshark 5.8 TX that comes with the Predator V2. The TX slots into the housing and has plenty of cooling vents. I messed around with clips for the cap but I don't know what the material properties are like for fixings so this version will need an m3 nut & bolt (or just tape).

It will be mounted by 4 x male to female 25mm brass hex spacers that replace the innermost landing gear screws (they are like £2 on ebay).

All going well it will be with me on 20th July. If it stands up to the test I'll probably tweak the bugs out and start a little Shapeways shop so people can buy it. If it does work it looks likely to be about $35 - $40 (€35 - €40 Europe) + P&P and my calculations have it around 10 grams in weight.

Anyway I thought I'd share to see peoples reactions. Probably overkill but screw it even if just mine works I'll be dead chuffed cause I forgot how fun 3D modelling with a real purpose was! :mrgreen:

Re: Shapeways Undertray with Fatshark TX compartment - beta

I can't really comment on the Fatshark undertray because I don't (yet) have FPV. But, it is good to see more Phantom users getting into accessory design and production.

I'd like to have a very simple multi-use "platform" that would allow me to attach my Drift HD action cam, or my Garmin GPS (just for the fun of it, for one or two flights), or a big flashing strobe light, or... whatever crazy idea hits me from time to time.

GearLoose said:
I can't really comment on the Fatshark undertray because I don't (yet) have FPV. But, it is good to see more Phantom users getting into accessory design and production.

I'd like to have a very simple multi-use "platform" that would allow me to attach my Drift HD action cam, or my Garmin GPS (just for the fun of it, for one or two flights), or a big flashing strobe light, or... whatever crazy idea hits me from time to time.

Thanks for the feedback there. I have a version without the TX compartment and i was working on modulising it too but I need to make sure I didn't balls up the dimensions before I try that.

Am I right in think that the Drift HD has a tripod thread in the base? If so I could easily come up with a mount for that to convert it to make it compatible with the goPro fixing.

Yes, the Drift has a tripod thread -- it also has a lens that can be twisted, so it is easy to orient the image "right side up". Now if I can just buff the scratches out of the lens protector (from a crash), it will be ready for your mount ;)

Well this is what I've come up with if you were ever interested?

As you can see it is basically a GoPro mount to Camera hotshoe bracket. You would then get a Hotshoe to Tripod adapter like this for a about £2.50 from ebay. The alloy ones are good and weight 20grams max.

pro_type_1_4_tripod_screw_to_flash_hot_shoe_adapter.jpg

You undo the knurled nut, slide the mount into the hotshoe/gropro, srew it down tight. Then do the same at the other end on the camera (maybe with an extra 1/2 inch nylock nut for security).

PM me if you are interested.

Cool to see that you're gettin' back into CAD work.
Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas & designs!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out but I'll knock a few ideas up in the meantime for fun probably!

Well today I took delivery of my creation! Having just had a dissapoinment over the weight of a 2mm carbon fibre rigid sheet I was really looking forward to this!

First impressions....

Well it is very thin and light at a mere 22 grams. That is 2 grams less than my 'sandwich box' option and a whole 17 grams less than the 2mm carbon fibre (which I am sure i could get to around 25 grams in 1mm cut down format).
While it feels quite thin (probably a little too thin in places) you can tell that it is robust. Good start.

Tray Fitment...

Well for attaching the tray to the 25mm Male-Female hex spacers my measurements were spot on. Clips into place and screws go through the holes as required.

TX Fitment....

My Fatshark stock TX slid straight into the slot and is a perfect fit. The plugs slip through the slot I created and hold firm.
The door needed the slightly rough edges sanding down ever so slightly for a nice fit. There is no play with it in situe and as you can see the heat distribution slots line up where i wanted them. Plenty of air will get to it in flight that is for sure.

Cables...

Not rocket science but this worked how i wanted. Under and over can be applied to most of the cables with the smaller fixings. As shown here I have used the velcro slots to route some of them. Operators choice really!

All assembled in just FPV form (Hero3, Fatshark with Filter, one batt, Garmin GTU10).....

Extra Batt as an option?.... Yes (pics to follow). 1250g with 2 batts and all the listed equiptment but that will come down 50-60 grams by replacing the GoPro skeleton housing with the DJI mount (or GoPro 'Frame'). Likewise even less weight if you opt for 2 batts and just stock Fatshark camera (no Hero) and not everyone has a 75 gram GTU10 onboard either.

Conclusions...

Well overall I'm really quite happy with it! Flight testing will commence when a replacement bearing for one of my motors arrives in the morning (noticed it yesterday).

Beta Issues...

There are a couple of minor ones. Easy and obvious fixes without needing a dozen more models being built. The main issue is the lack of bracing above the TX holder. It means it has a slight flex from the weight of the TX/Aerial. This might add to nothing but it could become pronounced under load of the probs. It won't break but it might cause an unwanted vibration and no one wants that! Time will tell.

Being that the dimensions and fitment are all good I can make these changes and see how the pricing comes out. I'd expect if anyone other than me did want one it'd be about €35 ($31)... plus postage of course. Might just leave it as a bit of fun for myself unless people show interest! Feeback as always is welcome!

Re: Shapeways Undertray with Fatshark TX compartment - IS HE

Maxxborg said:
I think this is awesome. I just wished it was made in a way that I could mount it with my gimbal. I would probably preorder one if so. I hate velcro and tape that I do on my Fatshark setup. Something that looks and feels more legit.

Thanks Maxxborg. Much appreciated. What gimbal do you have and how does it mount to the Phantom? You never know it might be a simple fix.
Just replaced my bearings on my dodgey motor (after a lot of swearing to get the old ones out) so will hope to get a flight in at dusk to test it.

Bravo! Most pleasing that you are inspired to model creative mods - I have a shopping list a yard long for fun and practical stuff to make for the Phantom. I have a set of 3d printed leg mounts that are joined on each side by a web to allow a battery to be slung between each pair of legs. It uses standard 6mm tube for the legs, I used 20cm aluminium tube and a meter of it gives me 5 legs for about £2.50. They get bent on hard landings so I just replace them. Got it off Shapeways. The white material is remarkably tough and so far the legs have bent and the mounts have not split. Please keep us all informed about your inventions, its great that you are doing this.

Thanks guys.

As you
Maxxborg said:
I have the aris. Screws onto the same screw holes as the stock gopro mount does

I will take a look at the Arris (frankly if I had the funds I'd buy one!). I'm pretty sure it is a 85mm x 105mm plate but Maxxborg (or anyone) if you have the ability to take some measurements it would help for sure.

howardmaryon said:
Bravo! Most pleasing that you are inspired to model creative mods - I have a shopping list a yard long for fun and practical stuff to make for the Phantom. I have a set of 3d printed leg mounts that are joined on each side by a web to allow a battery to be slung between each pair of legs. It uses standard 6mm tube for the legs, I used 20cm aluminium tube and a meter of it gives me 5 legs for about £2.50. They get bent on hard landings so I just replace them. Got it off Shapeways. The white material is remarkably tough and so far the legs have bent and the mounts have not split. Please keep us all informed about your inventions, its great that you are doing this.

I think I've seen that setup on there. SimenSays creation if its the ones I'm thinking? He's done some really good stuff. The nylon does seem to be an excellent RC material. Its not the smoothest (but can be sanded down) but given it is light weight and has good elasticity it works well.
Shapeways have offered me 10% off for the next week so I might get a few more things modelled over the weekend.

Very clever idea! I just got my Fat Shark mounter today with Velcro and it really looks sloppy!

I have a couple of questions concerning your design. Why did you mount it so far back on the fuselage? How does that affect the CG? Could you have simplified the mounting by incorporating a mounting plate that works with the GP mounting bracket holes?

I'm not Monday Morning quarterbacking, I think you've come up with a really clever design.

Keep us updated on your progress.

DaveT1 said:
Very clever idea! I just got my Fat Shark mounter today with Velcro and it really looks sloppy!

I have a couple of questions concerning your design. Why did you mount it so far back on the fuselage? How does that affect the CG? Could you have simplified the mounting by incorporating a mounting plate that works with the GP mounting bracket holes?

I'm not Monday Morning quarterbacking, I think you've come up with a really clever design.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Trust me all feedback well accepted Dave.
he tx is mounted so far back to avoid intererence from the electronics. The CG isn't badly affected at all due to relatively light weight and the use of the GoPro heavier casing that makes it a little front heavy anyway. If it was really bad the gains can be adjusted to compensate via tge Naza assistant but so far no need at all.

I am just finishing the Mk2 updated version now. I did look at usung the holes for the mounting plate at first but to use the velcro slots there needs to be a small amount of clearence under the tray and tbh it is really solidly on there without their use (allowing me to use them for other things if needed).

Now i know enough about the material and that the fixings work i can confidently design other versions. Many people think it is overkill and are fine with velcro... I have no issue with the principal of it. It holds well and is cheap and light. It looks it too and the tx works best when cool so you can't easily wrap round it.

I will also be creating the tx holder on its own with a couple of velcro strap mounts. This might be more to peoples tastes than the whole tray and will be cheaper. Just not as easy to mount away from the body,

As someone who works at Shapeways and is considering buying a Phantom, I just wanted to chime in and say that this thread is awesome. :geek:

bdickason said:
As someone who works at Shapeways and is considering buying a Phantom, I just wanted to chime in and say that this thread is awesome. :geek:

Thank you sir! Nice to see someone from Shapeways taking an interest. Depending on what part of the company you work in (as in if you have access/skill to 3D model) I'd imagine owning a Phantom + an employee discount could come very much in handy!
Buy one! :lol:

Hey DeweyAXD,

wow, what a cool story! My colleague bdickason pointed me to this thread. I'm Community Manager with Shapeways and I was wondering if you'd like to help me write a blogpost about your project? I couldn't find a way to direct message you on this forum, so could you contact me at bart(at)shapeways(dot)com?

Thanks!

Bart

bartv said:
Hey DeweyAXD,

wow, what a cool story! My colleague bdickason pointed me to this thread. I'm Community Manager with Shapeways and I was wondering if you'd like to help me write a blogpost about your project? I couldn't find a way to direct message you on this forum, so could you contact me at bart(at)shapeways(dot)com?

Thanks!

Bart

Sounds great to me Bart... email sent! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1