Shapeways parts for neat FPV and/or dual batt setup

Reaction score
Adam has kindly given permission for me to advertise a few parts I designed and am now selling on Shapeways.

They can all be found here at my Shapeways shop here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/d3wey

The full kit is shown attached to my Phantom here:

In Flight (minus battery cage, FO-OSD and GTU10 Holder here):

Installation Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3203YFpXDJM[/youtube]

Parts on offer at present include:

- Custom FPV Undertray – includes integrated Fatshark Predator v2 TX holder (versions available without the TX holder as well as short versions... see the shop).
- Fatshark Predator V2 Filter Housing – For the small filter that comes with the kit.
- Dual Battery Cage – Allows safe and secure fitment of a second battery to the underside of the Phantom (or any quad/RC device). It is slotted to fit the custom undertrays but has slots for velcro strapping.
- Hero 3 ‘Framish’ – A cost effective ultra lightweight frame for the GoPro Hero3. Perfect for flight and allows full access to all the buttons and the sockets.

Please take a look at the shop for more details.
For those unaware of Shapeways it is a company that prints 3D designs submitted by designers. You purchase the design via their site, pay, they print it and ship it! So far they seem to be going down well with Phantom owners.

Details of how it all came about can be seen on these threads:

Part 1 - http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=999
Part 2 - http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1297&p=9088#p9088

Shapeways also did a news blog feature of the parts: https://www.shapeways.com/blog/arch...l?/archives/2168-Pimp-My-Drone_html=#extended

Excellent work m8! I'm impressed and hope to see something that fits with existing gimbals a bit better down the line. Keep up the great work and congrats on your writeup!

New additions as of October 2013...

FO-OSD (Fibre Optic OSD)
A method used by a few people before. The idea is to use fibre optic cable to take show the output of the Phantom's status LED in your FPV goggles/monitor. This is very handy as it tells you when the voltage warnings actually kick in as opposed to OSD systems that just display voltage levels. Pictures/Vids say a thousand words (flight test vid coming soon).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_doIZhQztvs[/youtube]

My kit comprises of two parts:
1) GoPro FO-OSD Lens Ring for Hero3

This pushes snugly around the lens and allows the cable to be held in front of the lens. It can be rotated into the correct position depending on what mode you are using on your Hero3. It set in place via a grub screw or glue but I have never needed either personally.

2) Phantom Rear Mount

Like my FPV Custom Undertray this fits the rear over 2 x 25mm M3 hex spacers. You don't need the FPV Custom Undertray for this to fit but you do need the spacers or long strong bolts. When it place it allows the other end of the fibre optic cable to be pushed or clamped in place and held up to the status LED. This sends the light output down the cable to the GoPro lens ring. No need for opening the case at all.

For this kit to work all you need is the spacers and a really cheap thin 'Toshlink' fibre optic cable... like £2 max and the thinner the better. You snip the connectors off, shave the wire down until it is a nice fit at one end, cut it to length and shave/fit the other end. Easy!

Is my kit overkill... as always for some it might be seen as that. My prototype used a bottle top and a bit of blue foam which worked great but this is stronger, neater and whiter - if you are hand with DIY make your own, if not mine is a good option.

Ok so the next item...

Fatshark 600TVL Camera to GoPro mount
Simple mount that allows you to fit the 600TVL camera to the GoPro mount on the Phantom (or any craft with a stick on GoPro mount). This mount has 2 x mounts at each end which makes it possible to mount it on top of a flying device (ideal for a plane).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dbVJkLT4e4[/youtube]

GoPro “Frame’ish” MK2
Second generation of the popular lightweight, cheap frame. This version holds the camera on its own. Due to popular request the camera shutter button can be accessed from the top or bottom which means you don’t have to use the Up/Down settings in the camera if you don’t want to. There is also a recess for chunkier USB cables.

GoPro “Touch'n'Batt” Frame'ish
This is the Touch’n’Batt option of the Frame’ish. It fits the latest generation Hero3 Touch Screen or Battery back pack. Should fit the Hero3+ too (thanks gopro!).

Turnigy Nano Tech 2250 Battery Cage
This is a larger version of my battery cage designed for Turnigy 2250mah Nano Tech batteries. It can hold any 3s of the same dimensions as the Turnigy (104 x 35 x 27mm). It slots onto the FPV Custom Undertray but can be velcro'd without it via its hangers.

.... and finally a preview of something still to come (final tweaking!)

Garmin GTU10 Holder

I wanted a holder for the GTU10 that kept it secure but left it with room to pick up GPS in as many orientations as possible (assuming it'd be arse over tit in a crash). I was also running low on space under the Phantom.
So far I have this but the clips are too brittle for public sale and fiddly to fit.... the concept works great and it hooks on VERY solid. If you are happy to be careful with the clips and want one I can make a simple mod - PM me if interested.

IMG_2941.jpg

With 2 x Turnigy Nanotech and EVERYTHING fitted = 1322grams.... a weighty girl and the flight test at this weight will follow soon. If it is too much then I am happy with a stock 2200 + Nanotech... that gives me 10-13 mins useful flight time already.... this is her fully loaded!

Fantastic pix and your creativity. The phantom looks like the love child of the Death Star and a Transformer. If it flies well, then anything is possible! How cool that 3D printing, amazing quad tech, and the power of the internet with clever people have made these amazing things possible in such a short time, like less than one year! Cheers to you my friend, I await your next clever idea!

Roadkilt said:
Fantastic pix and your creativity. The phantom looks like the love child of the Death Star and a Transformer. If it flies well, then anything is possible! How cool that 3D printing, amazing quad tech, and the power of the internet with clever people have made these amazing things possible in such a short time, like less than one year! Cheers to you my friend, I await your next clever idea!

Thanks for the kind words Roadkilt.... means a lot. Next ideas will be getting this lot based around a Gimbal (not sure which yet though!).

Gnapoleon said:
What did you do with the battery door? It seems that part isn't stock?

Its the stock part but I have used a dremel to cut most of both sides of the doors off. I actually first did this when I got the Turnigy Nanotech 2250's as they are a really really tight squeeze in the shell with cables. Others remove the door completley and us a velcro strap (not as nice to look at) then there is also the option for a bigger door (on shapeways but not by me).
Removing the door to modify is straight forward... simple tap the pin out of the hinge. Be careful as it is can be quite stubborn.

The black strip on the door is just velco. I used to mount the Fatshark 600TVL cam there back in the early days (before I picked up my 3D tools!)... http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=968

I have the spacers needed for Dewey's very excellent FPV undertray for anyone in the U.S. that needs them. Being metric I had an impossible time finding them in hardware stores so I had to order them from China. 20 of them. Of course, I only needed 4. Save yourself the trouble. I'll sell you the 4 spacers you need for $2.50.
spacers.jpg

Dewey, if you'd rather I start my own separate thread just let me know and I'll delete this post.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl