shaky video recordings

Reaction score
Hi All..

So I have My P2V - and I'm pleased with it..

BUT - all my video recordings seems to get quite shaky.. And as far as i think i have tried pretty much everything to avoid it - calibrate the compass before every flight, Not flying in strong wind, GPS mode, ATTI mode, etc, etc..

When i see videos on youtube with the same standard p2v setup it seems to be way better than the result i can pull of..

When i run through it my stabilizing program - I found IMOVIE best after trying 20 or more other programs - I have to zoom in quite must just to get more or less OK result.. But then the video quality naturally goes down..

Any thoughts? I am kind of lost ..

Thanks all!

Regards
Troels

Not really, except practice and be selective with your editing. Do each shot you really want two or three times. Use atti mode extensively for smooth tracking. Yawing (panning) with smoothness is just lots of practice. I don't use stabilization as I don't have any software that does it, and the Youtube effort is terrible for not coping with the barrel distortion in shots with lots of movements (you get the bouncing banana horizon effect). My videos have definitely got smoother over time, so I think it does boil down to practice mainly (and picking your weather, if you can - if you can't, then a choppy, quick moving editing style can help with choppy footage due to gusty winds, for example).

However, I'm certainly no expert so if anyone has got the magic bullet, let me know too, please!

Upload a clip if you can and let us have a look. Possibly prop balance? Any glance you dinged your props and took a chunk of the ends? Simple enough to compare... You've got a fresh spare set in your kit. Try those and see if there's any improvement.

iDrone

Trying new props is also done..

WIll upload a video this this evening - asian time - and would be great if you will have a look!

In the end it comes down to wind. I've done flights with exceptionally smooth video and other's with the direct opposite. It comes down to the wind, how strong it was, sometimes the wind can be choppy or multiple directions which can increase the problem. So your problem is not that you're having a problem. It's just the flight conditions. There are steps you can take to improve video smoothness even in the wind such as the angle of your phantom versus the wind direction. Letting the Phantom hover or not making any or many corrective movements in orientation. Also as previously mentioned. Atti mode will also help though be careful as your Phantom can drift away in the Wind in Atti mode as GPS will not hold the position where it is.

Definitely in atti mode? As in you've changed from the default VISION mode in the Assistant to NAZAM mode, then have tx switch S1 in the middle position? If so, there's something wrong - that doesn't look like atti mode to me at all, that looks like GPS mode trying to hold station in some turbulent air. Atti mode should remain level, and should drift with even the tiniest breeze. You might get the odd wobble, but nothing like what you are seeing. Double check again you've definitely setup atti...

Thanks for uploading the video, much easier to understand now. I agree with our fellow PV'ers it "looks" like your Vision is fighting the wind trying to hold station, but if there's little to no wind then this is definitely not normal. If you haven't already, please connect your Vision via USB to Phantom 2 Vision Assistant on your computer. First check for any error messages, then proceed with doing an Advanced IMU calibration. Try another test flight and let us know if there's any improvement.

iDrone

Pull_Up said:
Definitely in atti mode? As in you've changed from the default VISION mode in the Assistant to NAZAM mode, then have tx switch S1 in the middle position? If so, there's something wrong - that doesn't look like atti mode to me at all, that looks like GPS mode trying to hold station in some turbulent air. Atti mode should remain level, and should drift with even the tiniest breeze. You might get the odd wobble, but nothing like what you are seeing. Double check again you've definitely setup atti...

Even in Vision mode, putting S1 in the middle position should activate Atti mode, right? Are you saying it must be in Naza-M mode for that to work?

semaj said:
Pull_Up said:

Even in Vision mode, putting S1 in the middle position should activate Atti mode, right? Are you saying it must be in Naza-M mode for that to work?
Correct. ATTI does not exist in "Vision Mode".

troels said:
Hi All..

So I have My P2V - and I'm pleased with it..

BUT - all my video recordings seems to get quite shaky.. And as far as i think i have tried pretty much everything to avoid it - calibrate the compass before every flight, Not flying in strong wind, GPS mode, ATTI mode, etc, etc..

When i see videos on youtube with the same standard p2v setup it seems to be way better than the result i can pull of..

When i run through it my stabilizing program - I found IMOVIE best after trying 20 or more other programs - I have to zoom in quite must just to get more or less OK result.. But then the video quality naturally goes down..

Any thoughts? I am kind of lost ..

Thanks all!

Regards
Troels

If you use Apple's Final Cut Pro, there is a stabilization tool built into the editing software. It's not as good as a gimbal because you get this kind of warping effect but a lot of the videos you're seeing on YouTUBE have been stabilized in the editing software. If you look really close you'll see the warping effect in the video where the computer is essentially extrapolating out points and then compensating for shake. So long story short, gimbal is best, editing stabilization is next best.

I have had the exact same problem, shaky videos, with all of my quads and setups for the full past year that I have been flying multi-rotors. That is until this week. I finally bought a P2 with the gimbal and I can't believe what a difference in video quality the gimbal makes. No amount of prop balancing, video editing, flying in attitude mode vs. gps mode, nothing made much of a difference until the gimbal came into my life. I have shot more quality video this week than I have all year. Good luck and go get a gimbal. lol.

semaj said:
Pull_Up said:

Absolutely. S1 only function in Vision mode is for entering compass calibration and interrupting RTH. Vision mode will only fly in atti if it can't see enough satellites, but that decision is automatic.

That's why your video is shakier than you expected. Its about right for a quad trying to hold station in some minor turbulence/rotor off the buildings and trees...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic