Shaky gimbal?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had a search around but couldn't see anything, including researching the 'Jello' effect.

Flew today, maybe 20mph winds, so nothing new there. But experienced the following effect on video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was only about 20m in front of me so I could see the craft; there was no vibration, the craft wasn't being blown around, and it was holding very steady.

Is it just wind or is it something to do with the gimbal? It has the two stock dampeners in opposing corners.

Any ideas?

Ever crashed ? I noticed almost same effects but mines was due to a polar pro gimbal guard that touches the camera during medium-hard pans either way . Took forever for me to realize. Not saying this is your situation , maybe

Hey, I have yes - but the first time I noticed this was before that! It is also intermittent (I.e sometimes it will be absolutely fine)

I don't have a gimbal guard on at the minute, the only thing I have on is an adjustable ND filter :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey, I have yes - but the first time I noticed this was before that! It is also intermittent (I.e sometimes it will be absolutely fine)

I don't have a gimbal guard on at the minute, the only thing I have on is an adjustable ND filter :)

Check your camera for any damages. Especially the arms of the camera. Any bends or distortions will throw the camera off and I think causes vibrations and unwanted movements due to the gimbal trying to correct it being off- even if just a little bit

Reactions: andrewrobinson
Run a gimbal calibration on a FLAT surface. Also, when you say " two stock dampeners in opposing corners" do you mean that you have 4 rubber dampeners and the two plastic anti-drop pins? Or just two rubber balls?

Yes 4 balls and the two drop pins, basically what it was shipped with, I assume you don't need 4 pins though?

I ran the gimbal calibration (successfully) on a flat bench after bringing it down, then took of again to take this video :(

Hello effect could be due to movement restrictions of gimbal. Something is not letting it move freely. Check the gain settings, remove additional attachments like gimbal ribbon protector, additional lenses to figure out the cause of the problem. Don't go for too much sharpness.

You might try doing an IMU calibration then the gimbal calibration. Follow that with a good compass calibration in an open area away from structures and ferrous metals.

Also, try taking some video without the filter to rule out the added weight to your camera.

Thanks both, will try removing the filter (though it's tiny), put the stock P3P one back on and see if it persists.

Reactions: Fplvert

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers