Shadow Boxing with Phantom

Reaction score
Hey All,

Any idea how to get rid of the reflection/shadow of the copter whilst flying on low sunset? Please!

Apart from not flying during of course! :)

Reactions: Rensyo
I didn't see any shadow of your copter in the attached footage. So you know how to get it done. I see other shadows but they are adding depth to the photography. If you want to avoid even those shadows, take videos when Sun is right up and use ND filters.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Alokbhargava

Thanks for the quick reply! Please see the photo attached, I do have an ND filter in place, I am only concern of the shinny following shadow.

Thanks!

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 370
I see light reflection in the field on upper right, thats the sun's light reflecting back at you from the field and there's not mutch you can do, maybe in post. I get this more when the sun is getting low, it even reflects in trees.

Reactions: FlyingDoDo
Beautiful footage, OP! Lovely. I wouldn't worry about it - I really had to look to see it and it's kind of an easter egg of sorts. Keep up the good work!

The only way would be to avoid it, turning the camera to a better angle (in this case, slightly to the left, for example).

Flying higher at this heading probably would make it vanish too, but the framing of the subject would be quite different.

It can definitely be done without straight up avoidance. Never tried it myself but below are some tutorials on how to do it in post with software (premiere pro and after effects).

By the way this guys tutorials are on the tech heavy side of things but amazing.

Just about 2-3 weeks ago someone asked a similar question here about footage shot somewhere in G.B. / England. It was caused by an effect when an object is in the path of the light source (sun). Do A search and comment if you find the thread.

sometimes it just can't be avoided, depending on your subject and time of day.

it's fairly simple to do in post, although time-consuming. you could clone it out frame by frame if it only shows up for a couple seconds.

otherwise you can stack two layers of the same shot on top of each other, with the top layer masking out the area where the shadow shows up. then move the top layer horizontally a bit (effectively making a clone stamp as you would in PS). blend by feathering the mask until it looks right.

nice vid btw. i think it would look even better without the horizon being dead center of the frame for most of the shot, but that's just personal preference.

I start replying (thanking) from the recent to later order to all of you..!

Matti, nice video I only noticed it at the beginning of your video, due to high altitude hardly noticeable. Nice video! I like low sweep panorama flying, hence the reason I asked if post-pro or any other options are available to erase it. I believe the clients wouldn't be happy with such shadow/image on the final footage. :)

sometimes it just can't be avoided, depending on your subject and time of day.

it's fairly simple to do in post, although time-consuming. you could clone it out frame by frame if it only shows up for a couple seconds.

otherwise you can stack two layers of the same shot on top of each other, with the top layer masking out the area where the shadow shows up. then move the top layer horizontally a bit (effectively making a clone stamp as you would in PS). blend by feathering the mask until it looks right.

nice vid btw. i think it would look even better without the horizon being dead center of the frame for most of the shot, but that's just personal preference.

Thank you Eneilsen! I will follow up your recommendations. ;)

Reactions: eneilsen
It can definitely be done without straight up avoidance. Never tried it myself but below are some tutorials on how to do it in post with software (premiere pro and after effects).

By the way this guys tutorials are on the tech heavy side of things but amazing.

Sean, you are a star! Thank you, I will take look at those videos. :)

The only way would be to avoid it, turning the camera to a better angle (in this case, slightly to the left, for example).

Flying higher at this heading probably would make it vanish too, but the framing of the subject would be quite different.

Thank you!!!

I see light reflection in the field on upper right, thats the sun's light reflecting back at you from the field and there's not mutch you can do, maybe in post. I get this more when the sun is getting low, it even reflects in trees.

Thank you!!! That is the one! Spotted! :/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik