SFOC in Canada

Just recieved second sfoc after 3 months. Can't wait to hear what's coming at the end of the month. My new sfoc is good for a month.

Chriserl said:
Just recieved second sfoc after 3 months. Can't wait to hear what's coming at the end of the month. My new sfoc is good for a month.

How does the month coverage work? You can run the same flight operation in the same location with same UAV, and don't need to resubmit for each flight? I can see why this is good for certain applications, and unnecessary for many other types of missions. Cheers

We've applied to fly/ survey an area. All flights and conditions were in the application. Everything should be able to be done in a couple days but since the time of year brings bad weather we've been allowed a month to find a window that works. First sfoc was similar but in the summer and had a 2 week window. Hopefully changes or continued applications will lead to a blanket sfoc for such things for us as 2 permits in 5 months doesn't make a bussiness. I could have been flying every nice day for the last 2 months.

I'm trying to get into on how to apply now. I work in the real estate business for a developer. I started with a phone call to my local TC office and said I wanted to speak with someone about how to apply. She said that I could not speak with anyone and that instead I had to send an email to some central place back east. Here we go....I am tracking this and will be pushing as hard as I can to get one ASAP. First things that irritate me:
1) Why is there no form for SFOC application online? Government has forms for everything!!!!!!!!!
2) Why do they not define "built up area"? What the hell does that mean? They could have said something like "no flying within the city limits of a city having a population in excess of 5,000 people" - or something like that.

How many pages should my SFOC application be? Are there any samples floating around that might be able to provide me with a little more guidance?

I also was wondering if the following are necessary:

1) Ground School

2) Radio Certificate

3) Buying a radio

I want to make sure if I go through the effort of getting an SFOC that I actually get it and am working towards blanket coverage.

I am hoping to have an aerial business up and running by the summer, provided I get the approvals from Transport Canada.

Cheers

FYI I was just granted my first SFOC

I did do a ground school
I did obtain a radio liscense
I did purchase a radio prior to the first operation. you need it in case something happens, and technically you need a radio license too. I know there are people out there who are granted SFOCs that don't have one, but this will change.

Hey Everyone, I'm going to revive this feed a bit. I have been spending a lot of time reviewing this process and I'm fairly confident in what the requirements are. That being said the part that i struggle with the most is the writing of the SFOC. Does anyone that has submitted one have something that they can share. If you don't want post it thats understandable please PM me with details.

Also how many SFOC have you had to submit before you were granted a blanket permit and did TC offer it to you or did you have to request it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My plan is to use my drone for real estate photography as well as for home inspections. So my flights would be in town and close buildings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj