Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

SFOC in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by voodoo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. voodoo

Hey all,

Looking for someone who has experience obtaining a Special Flight Operations Certificate(s) in Canada - I'm in the Pacific region. I have a few general questions, but really want to simply talks about the experience in their initial achievement of the permit.

Thanks!

2. WPSPETE

Wish I could help you more. I have contacted a few people from transport Canada. They were not overly helpful. One elderly lady just lectured me on my phone skills. The next person I got a hold of my email sent me some useful SFOC info. I have spent the last few months learning to fly rather than get business. But I should be out soon. Wish we had a better Canadian resource. Not to knock this site, but it is more in the US as far as laws and regs go.

3. voodoo

Cool. Thanks. Where are you flying? I.e. what part of Canada?

Cheers

4. WPSPETE

I live in Vernon but I am aiming to fly all over the okanagan. Yourself?

5. voodoo

Vancouver :p

6. Chriserl

Myself and my partner have got 1 permit and are now awaiting our second. Really slow process. I'm in the interior

7. voodoo

Thanks Chriserl. What purpose? Real estate shots? Promotional footage for a vineyard or business?

Thanks!

8. Chriserl

Business. Mainly forestry at this point. Taking very boring pic/video of trees but hopefully it will make us some money :)

9. MattyMatt1

Hey Chriserl, im on the east coast and using for forestry purposes as well. Trying to work through my first SFOC app. Any suggestions? I wish TC would just set a template for everyone to use.

10. Chriserl

I think the reason for no template is so people have to put in the leg work and ask/answer the right questions. There are some good sample sfoc online from a university in Ontario and a highschool in Alberta ( I'm on my phone so I don't have the links). I'm lucky that my partner is a fixed wing mechanic and pilot so he's dealt with TC a lot in the past. We followed the guide lines and everything went well besides having to wait 2 months to get approval which is just plain silly. Mark at flitelab has a good point form right up on SFOC

11. UAVNorth.ca

Hey Chriserl,

Did it take 2 months to get your SFOC? Mine took 3 initially, but I've heard some good stories of them actually hitting the 20 day mark lately. Maybe it's in a different region though?

Anyway Angus and I have spoken quite a bit over email, and I've just finished putting together a application guide/template to assist with all of the questions I had been fielding in regards to SFOC applications :)

12. SteveMann

This is a preview where the FAA is going to be next year.

13. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm at a point where I don't really give a crap what they come up with, as long as they get off their fat bureaucratic asses and do SOMETHING!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

-slinger

14. Chriserl

Yep 2 months. Same with current application. Have a client that has been really happy with our work but waiting 2 months is really limiting what we can do. The weather doesn't help either :)

15. UAVNorth.ca

Yeah the coming weather change is going to hamper a lot of fun...

16. WPSPETE

What a bummer. I know I can keep myself busy flying. I have numerous people interested and I haven't even tried to sell it yet. I am thinking of getting some bookings over the winter then doing the SFOC will in advance so I am ready to go in the spring and summer.

17. UAVNorth.ca

I'd recommend getting an application in now for a few of those small jobs or even training flights, so you get yourself known to TC, then apply for a longer term sfoc in January or so, so you can be good to go for the summer.

18. WPSPETE

Looks like some new rules are coming into place late Nov! I just posted a link.

19. UAVNorth.ca

Yep they're going to be loosening things up by the sound of it! The one point that really sticks out though is no flight over a built up area. I'm going to say that the new rules are going to be for rural areas only, when you satisfy the 30+ conditions that they require.

20. Khudson7

Khudson7 Guest