Setup and fly under 1 Minute!

Reaction score
This is a theoretical discussion. Any of your input will greatly help. I fly in an area where obtaining a Lock at Ground level takes several minutes. To reduce setup time/waiting time would it be a good practice to power on the quad wait for 30s , calibrate the compass (+20s) and then take off straight to about 80-90 feet and (now that satellites are available) , reset Home point as that point and fly?

What are your thoughts?

Dont calibrate your compass everytime you fly. Only when you fly in a new location + 50 KM from your previous.

As for me, i power up and instant fly, i dont wait for homelock. After i have enuff sats i fly back to my location and i flip s2 5 times. Now im safe to go as i please

chriske said:
Dont calibrate your compass everytime you fly. Only when you fly in a new location + 50 KM from your previous.

As for me, i power up and instant fly, i dont wait for homelock. After i have enuff sats i fly back to my location and i flip s2 5 times. Now im safe to go as i please

I am curious to know where your bird would go if you lost control signal before a home position was set. Would it just land right where it is? Or would it try for China?

Do you ever first test your home position by flying away from where you think it is, then coming back to it with HL, before going away as you please? I always do this.

BlackTracer said:
chriske said:

I am curious to know where your bird would go if you lost control signal before a home position was set. Would it just land right where it is? Or would it try for China?

Do you ever first test your home position by flying away from where you think it is, then coming back to it with HL, before going away as you please? I always do this.

Mine headed east to China and crashed in the neighbors tree and destroyed the camera/gimbal. Now I have my old gopro 1 stuck to the bottom of the bird and no FPV.

:-(

As others have said, there's no need to cal the compass every time.

Do the tin foil mod. It will acquire sats more quickly.

BlackTracer said:
chriske said:

I dont start flying away far from where i lift up. I just fly around no futher away then 50-100 meters. I wait till i have enuff sats and come back to where i want to set my homelock with the s2 switch.

chriske said:
BlackTracer said:
chriske said:

I dont start flying away far from where i lift up. I just fly around no futher away then 50-100 meters. I wait till i have enuff sats and come back to where i want to set my homelock with the s2 switch.

I think this is 99.9% safe. The 0.1% is if your batteries drop out of your controller. lol

D_Tshudy said:

Will someone be kind enough to give a link to the tin foil mod thread? Thank you,

J

JWarren said:
D_Tshudy said:

Will someone be kind enough to give a link to the tin foil mod thread? Thank you,

J

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099&hilit=foil

There is a search facility in the upper corner, BTW... ;)

chriske said:
BlackTracer said:
chriske said:

Does setting HL position exactly above you (with over 6 satellites) mean that the RTH altitude will also be increased with the same offset?

chriske said:

Any reason not to? I understand that it's extra work , but any reason why it'd be a bad idea?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers