Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

DesertFlyer53 said:
nhirsch said:
BTW, I just went outside flew a bit and confirmed if you have the SE switch up (on D/R dumbing of the yaw) you cannot arm the Phantom--but this is not a problem if you remember that!

I learned this the hard way after spending 15 minutes trying to figure out why my P2 wouldn't start up! Lol

Yes DesertFlyer53. Had I not read your post awhile back, I wouldn't have suspected it might not work in the first place. Thanks.

On topic, but from left field...

I posted on goldfishrock's thread a query, and maybe it was missed or just a tad too obtuse, but perhaps you might indulge me.

In the first 2 pics on his tutorial thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7688

(my question copy and pasted in his thread)

He is highlighting the 2 connectors pulled from the stock transmitter, the first picture shows the "S Bus" connector, and the second picture shows the "Zenmuse" connector? Which is not needed as that is controlled by the s bus? Did I get that right? I ask because while I do not use a zenmuse, I do have 2 connectors on my stock Tx and want to be sure when I move them over I do it right. I see that 2nd connector going to "5" on the receiver- is this correct or is this something that can be moved to another channel on the receiver?

Please clarify this initial step and what that 2nd connector is for if you can (both with and without the zenmuse as a gimbal option as my gimbal is stand alone)

Once you have connected the Futaba receiver as shown, you can fully remove the stock receiver board and the additional connection between it and the Naza, gimbal or not.

by ianwood » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:09 am

hsestes wrote:Ok, this might work here. But need to test it. Will report back :)
http://vimeo.com/85044946

http://itsreal3d.com/Tiltinstructions.pdf

That's the first one I tried. Super confusing with three different inputs influencing the gimbal tilt. I simplified it down to two which makes it much easier IMHO.

You are right.. I tried to do this, but never could figure it out. I am sure there has got to be a way to program a fast switch and slow switch. Evenuatly I or some one will figure it out. On that note, do others using the LS or RS "see" the ratchet effect in their videos? Maybe its just me :oops:

OK... got what might be a simple question.

I put my F550 up and out about 100 meters. Turned off the transmitter and all it did was stay there. Went into the tx and the default rx condition is HOLD which means the servos stay at the same place last commanded. The other option is Failsafe where the controls move to a predetermined position.

This wasn't part of the model configuration but I think it is important for me. Any ideas?

OK... a follow up to the last post. There have been a few threads about range tests and Failsafe with the 8fghs but I can't find where someone just shut the radio off and waited for the airframe to come home. By default, the rx does a 'HOLD' if it loses the radio signal. That means, if you shut the radio off, the aircraft will continue doing what it was doing - and if it was flying away from you, it continues doing that.

I discovered this yesterday. I was in hover so I was able to get control back. In the radio, the different channels default to 'HOLD'. Has anyone messed with this part?

I would think if you were doing a range test that you could easily lose the airframe if you left the defaults in.

EDIT: I found a video that explains it. Not obvious at all. See here: http://www.sarawuth.com/2012/06/setup-f ... -nazawk-m/

If you think that losing connection between your radio and the airframe will result in it coming home, might want to verify that. Easy way is to just put it out 30 meters or so and turn the tx off. If it stays there, then you need to set channel 7 IAW the above video. I'm changing my model profile to include this.

Ladykate, thanks for bringing this up. I will look into it ASAP. We certainly don't want the phantom holding course when signal is lost! That said, when I've switched the transmitter off, I get rapid yellow which means failsafe. I've never done it in the air but even on the ground I should get ghome in the OSD.

Will confirm and report back. In the meantime, no long distance flying for anyone using this profile until I make sure it is safe!

Reactions: Ash176

ianwood said:
Ladykate, thanks for bringing this up. I will look into it ASAP. We certainly don't want the phantom holding course when signal is lost! That said, when I've switched the transmitter off, I get rapid yellow which means failsafe. I've never done it in the air but even on the ground I should get ghome in the OSD.

Will confirm and report back. In the meantime, no long distance flying for anyone using this profile until I make sure it is safe!

I would welcome a test using a P2. This was done on an F550 with the Futaba rx and it didn't work as advertised. However, changing the settings according to the video I linked made it do what it was supposed to do. I am using the NAZA V2 so it should be similar but who knows. When I switched the tx off when on NAZA administrator but without the modification I'm relating, I did NOT get Failsafe. This may be non-Phantom specific - but still important.

I had made a 500+ meter run with the machine before I checked Failsafe. Luckily, there was no problem (unlike the disaffected person in the other thread here).

I have a profile of this if anyone wants it - also sets the gimbal to the right knob.

BTW: Getting rapid yellow when the tx is off isn't an indication of going to Failsafe. The rx is separate from that. Mine would give rapid yellows with the other configuration.

If you decide to look into it, check out the Failsafe mode on the radio and see if all the settings (but particularly channel 7) are set to 'HOLD'. If it is, I would suggest changing it IAW the video 'just in case'.

I have shut the T8FGS Tx off in flight several times and failsafe does kick in. However... I am using the stock P2 Rx. I take it this is only a issue when using the Futaba Rx?

DesertFlyer53 said:
I have shut the T8FGS Tx off in flight several times and failsafe does kick in. However... I am using the stock P2 Rx. I take it this is only a issue when using the Futaba Rx?

Yes. The stock Phantom rx should be just fine and set up correctly. The 'upgraded' rx has built-in Failsafe and it has to be circumvented (at least on my F550).

OK. So it's dark here so no real flying at the moment but I have confirmed that failsafe kicks in when the transmitter is turned off. Powered up the P2 without props, let it record a home location, started motors, and then switched off transmitter. Result is rapid yellow followed by the letters "FS" showing up in the OSD. Seconds later GPS changes to GHome. So call off the alarm, it works on the Phantom.

Ladykate, you may have something slightly different in the Naza settings. Nonetheless, I still don't like the idea of the transmitter setting saying "hold course", so will do a little more research and see what the differences are and how they apply to the Phantom.

If transmitter is turned off, it's not "saying" anything, never mind "hold course". The fact that it's not saying anything, IF you have configured in Assistant to return home, that's what it should do as I understand it. LadyKate may have a GPS issue because the GPS records the home position for it to return to.

I don't think there is a gps issue. It works now. I think it is a difference somehow between Phantom and non Phantom.

nhirsch said:
If transmitter is turned off, it's not "saying" anything, never mind "hold course". The fact that it's not saying anything, IF you have configured in Assistant to return home, that's what it should do as I understand it. LadyKate may have a GPS issue because the GPS records the home position for it to return to.

That's what I thought too at first but remember if you have a Futaba RX, it can tell the Naza what you program it to tell it. That's where I think the hold course function comes in. So, on one hand the Futaba can say, no more signal then go to FS. Alternatively, it can just repeat whatever was in the last signal. I'm guessing but it kind of makes sense. I need to look it up.

Page 68 of the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8fgs-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

However I just checked my 8FG and even before installing your profile, when I turned off the TX the Phantom went into Fail Safe.

Sot it looks like generally the Fail Safe operation of the 8FG is not enabled by default. But it always best to take off the props and check ;-)

RogerClark said:
Page 68 of the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8fgs-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

However I just checked my 8FG and even before installing your profile, when I turned off the TX the Phantom went into Fail Safe.

Sot it looks like generally the Fail Safe operation of the 8FG is not enabled by default. But it always best to take off the props and check ;-)

Thanks for checking. It looks like this is a non-Phantom situation. However, for clarity, the rx is the thing that has HOLD or F/S (Failsafe) enabled - and mine is in HOLD. You change it with the radio (not NAZA). Even in Failsafe mode, though, the NAZA wouldn't be getting the signal to come home. The darn rx is smart, too. You have to fool it by asking it to tell NAZA a false reading (switch S1 (in Phantom Speak) was thrown to Failsafe). You might be able to see this by going to Linkage and selecting Failsafe with 8FGHS - the settings are probably the same as we're talking - all channels select 'HOLD' when the radio signal is lost.

More than one of us have run into it and if you google it, it comes up... and, of course, there is a video of how to fix it. It is kinda freaky when you turn the radio off and the airframe just sits there - and you then realize you could have been at the outer range and just lost signal - the airframe would keep on truckin' until it ran out of battery power.

If anyone gets insight into what the Phantom NAZA is doing to thwart the HOLD command from the Rx, I would be interested. The assistant for non-Phantom NAZA isn't interchangeable with the Phantom 2 assistant although the screens look nearly the same but the non-Phantom NAZA accepts the HOLD option from the Rx... and we get to jump through a few hoops to disable it.

ladykate said:
If anyone gets insight into what the Phantom NAZA is doing to thwart the HOLD command from the Rx, I would be interested. The assistant for non-Phantom NAZA isn't interchangeable with the Phantom 2 assistant although the screens look nearly the same but the non-Phantom NAZA accepts the HOLD option from the Rx... and we get to jump through a few hoops to disable it.

Assistant also has Receiver Advanced Protection. If that is enabled and there is no change in A/E/R/T for some period of time (20-30seconds), then the autopilot will think something is wrong and go into failsafe. I imaging "hold" is not making any changes so that might be the override.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj