Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

Bound my 8FGS to the P2 today after reading this thread. Very simple, only needed to push the bind button and viola. Appreciate all the work done in this thread showing various ideas, esp the tilt control. The Phantom 1 settings I had on the Futaba worked well after re-calibrating the gimbal tilt which I elected the left knob instead of right slider. I also kept my big switches as the main switches for IOS and GPS-ATTI-Manual. The other option I kept is using the SF switch as failsafe no matter what the big switches are in, throwing SF on will trigger failsafe=return to home. No need to turn transmitter off. I find with the gimbal tilt on the knob, I can control it nicely with no need for the extra ideas/smoothing/0-45, etc in the profile provided. The only other thing I'd mention is the yaw is sometimes too fast turning is jerky so I also have a profile that uses the IOS channel assigned to the other knob to control the gains. This allows me to lower gains and make turning more smooth but the downside is I lose IOS functionality. I'd like to have it all. Seems the 8FGS has lots of channel capability but I don't know how to utilize the other channels to do stuff like put a servo switch in to turn on lights etc.

Would you mind sharing the profile you made? So that I can give it a try. Looks interesting.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

I have been thinking of adding a failsafe switch. I just want to be sure I am not flipping it by mistake. How are you adjusting gains using the knob? That is new to me. If I could set the gain on the gimbal and the yaw using the knobs, that would be very cool.

I'd be interested interested in nhirsch's profile too. I'm an old idot when it comes to these new fangled computer radios. I wish there was an in depth youtube video I could watch and learn.

On another note... I flew today and learned something new... couldn't get my motors to start. Scratched my head for a few minutes then realized the rate switch wasn't in the right position. Motors won't start if that switch isn't set for 100% throws. :oops:

I was also able to fly at our field today with the 8FG setup. I must say I like the control the Futaba gives us. I also switched the gimbal tilt from the RS to the LS as that hand is typically free once altitude is set. RS was hard to control while in forward flight, etc.... But for those that have taken the transmitter apart. The one thing I do NOT like the RS and LS ratchet. I have viewed the footage, and can see the small jerks in the tilt from the ratchet. Is there a spring or something that can be removed from the LS or RS to allow for smooth motion?

I would like to swith the gimbal tilt control from the RS to the LD volume control on the front of the Tx. Is this possible and if so, how? I have no clue.

Yes, you can change it from the RS to LD. Go into the menu and select Function. You want to change Channel 5 - Gear from RS to LD - or any other for that matter. I changed mine to LD today, but did not like having to take my hands off the TX to turn the dial. I moved it over to LS and like that much better.

Now if I can rid the ratchet on the dial :shock:

UPDATE - Ok, I just got brave enough to take apart my 8FG, and there was a small metal clip on the RS and LS dials. I removed the clip on the LS (I have that configured for Gimbal tilt) and now it is super smooth!!
Can't wait to test it out now.....!!!!

hsestes said:
Yes, you can change it from the RS to LD. Go into the menu and select Function. You want to change Channel 5 - Gear from RS to LD - or any other for that matter. I changed mine to LD today, but did not like having to take my hands off the TX to turn the dial. I moved it over to LS and like that much better.

Now if I can rid the ratchet on the dial :shock:

Good point. Like you said, I just don't like the ratchets on the RS and LS sliders or I'd just as soon switch to the LS.

UPDATE - Ok, I just got brave enough to take apart my 8FG, and there was a small metal clip on the RS and LS dials. I removed the clip on the LS (I have that configured for Gimbal tilt) and now it is super smooth!!

I didn't like the ratchets and I didn't like the position - I kept moving the darn thing by accident. Moved it to the dials. That and the panning switch works ok. The nice thing is that I can change it around if I please.

hsestes said:

Cool! I'm expecting the throttle spring from Futaba any day now. When I get it, I'll open up my radio and do both.

One question... is the slider real loose now? Some friction would be good so it doesn't move accidently.

Yes, it is loose - not like it will fall out, but a slight bump will move it. I may play with the clip to see if I can have it give a little resistance, but from the looks of it (metal bracket with pointed tip to engage ratchet) with it installed, you will feel the bump, bump, bump from it. I will do some testing tomorrow to see if she is too loose for my liking :)

The centering springs are adjustable so you can dial in how much resistance / springiness you want on the sticks.

Sorry for the delay in logging in again since my earlier post. A couple people asked for the profile I created with Futaba 8FGS and my Phantom 2 (ported from Phantom 1) that has a failsafe function assigned to 2-position switch SF. The failsafe works no matter what the other switches are set at including IOS or GPS-ATTI-Manual so you don't have to turn off the transmitter to get there. The down position is normal flight. Flick FS up and you'll be in failsafe.

As mentioned, the normal DJI switches of IOS and GPS/ATTI/Manual are assigned to the big three position switches on the top just to keep things easy to remember. I assigned the X1 Gimbal tilt to the LD knob. Instead of having the option for changing gains assigned to the RD and losing IOS, I instead learned from this thread how to use D/R and assigned the small 3 position switch SE when it's put in the top position to do a nice dumbing down of the rudder/yaw so that turning the phantom should be much less jerky for filming when the SE switch is up in 3d position. Haven't tried it yet but it might need to be in down position to arm/take off and then switch to slow yaw position. Will try tomorrow if wind slows down here. Here's the Dual Rate for Rudder screen:

A couple people asked for the config so I've made it available here (name is Phantom-1 but works on Phantom 2):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq1htjr50vcwahs/PHANTOM-1

You may want to go into assistant and check everything and while at it, go to Basic, RC and recalibrate the Tilt LD knob by moving thru the range you want to use. I use the entire range of the knob. Click finish when done there.

One thing that needs work is the timer. I have it setup some hokey way. the reset switch for the timer is the momentary SH but where/when it starts and stops isn't logical. with a self centering throttle, it's hard to get it exact. The file provided by ianwood does a better job so I'll probably copy that idea when I have a chance until something better might come along.

Attachments

• dualrate.jpg
    dualrate.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 574

Thanks for sharing it. I am going to dissect it for the failsafe functionality! Also, you mentioned before you were able to adjust gains on one of the knobs. Is that part of this profile too? Keen to see how that was done so I can use it to apply variable gain on moving the gimbal to preset positions.

ianwood said:
Thanks for sharing it. I am going to dissect it for the failsafe functionality! Also, you mentioned before you were able to adjust gains on one of the knobs. Is that part of this profile too? Keen to see how that was done so I can use it to apply variable gain on moving the gimbal to preset positions.

No need to dissect it. Just watch the youtube where I learned it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMbpUpcvNiA

I removed the gains adjustment using the right knob because I want IOS functionality. It was a tradeoff. The D/R method is much better and you still have IOS. The way you use the knob is you assign the IOS channel to the right knob and then in Assistant, where you see yaw gains being INHibited, you select X2. Then the more you turn the knob your gains change. You can set the miniumum and maximum but, again, the D/R is better.

BTW, I just went outside flew a bit and confirmed if you have the SE switch up (on D/R dumbing of the yaw) you cannot arm the Phantom--but this is not a problem if you remember that!

Yes, you need to turn off dual-rate to start up. Good reminder anyway to check all the switches. Thanks for the link. Will have a look.

nhirsch said:
BTW, I just went outside flew a bit and confirmed if you have the SE switch up (on D/R dumbing of the yaw) you cannot arm the Phantom--but this is not a problem if you remember that!

I learned this the hard way after spending 15 minutes trying to figure out why my P2 wouldn't start up! Lol

Ok, I flew my Phantom 2 today, testing the gimbal movement on the LS switch with ratchet spring removed. I still cannot get my fingers to slide the switch smoothly :-(

I love the way SB pans the gimbal slowly. I am going to play with the settings (unless someone can point me in the right direction) of programming another switch similar to SB but a little quicker, or something else to get smoother pans - but be able to control the tilt degrees.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik