Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

Dtacmed said:
Simular to the 8J however sliding out the entire gimbal was a pain. I agree slide it under instead of removing the entire gimbal. There is a circuit board on the outside of the gimbal that I found was a pain to get out and back in.

Yep. The circuit board was hanging on tooth and nail and I realized I didn't have to force it. Just slid the rocker under, hooked the spring on the end and drew it up with a pair of tweezers. I already had all the screws out so I had to put them back. Would have taken almost no time if I hadn't partially disassembled it. :oops: The mod is nice, though. I set the tension the same as the roll/pitch (screw almost all the way down) and it seems perfect. It is now cold again but I'm anxious to try it all out.

OBTW: If anyone has a link to where I can get the 400 mm extensions for the rx, I would appreciate it. I can't find it using my normal Google foo. MIght call support on Monday if no joy.

EDIT: No more than wrote the above but found a method of getting the antenna extensions (disregard the 'boat only' caveat):

You can order these directly through your local authorized Great Planes hobby store, or from our Futaba Support line at 217-398-8970. The part number and suggested retail price is:

HSP79766 ANT BOAT ONLY 400MM $12.13

ladykate said:
EDIT: No more than wrote the above but found a method of getting the antenna extensions (disregard the 'boat only' caveat):

You can order these directly through your local authorized Great Planes hobby store, or from our Futaba Support line at 217-398-8970. The part number and suggested retail price is:

Do you have a link? I am thinking to do mine as well.

ianwood said:
ladykate said:

Do you have a link? I am thinking to do mine as well.

Just the phone number. Call them and order over the phone. The whole quote I gave was the end of a post about this - the person emailed them and they told him to call them. The price may not be the same - the post was a little older.

FWIW, I'm not sure about this - the part of the current antenna that is active is the bared part which is the same on both the short and long antenna. As long as the bared part is outside the fuselage and angled correctly, I'm not sure there is an advantage to extending it. If there is available antenna from any angle then you should be good. If they are both hidden at some point, it might be wise to put in the longer version. EDIT: Of course, with the longer antenna, you can get the active part farther away from the other components that might interfere or be interfered with.

I mounted mine on my F550 and it seems to be sufficient - might still order a set but only because I'm neurotic.

I'm skeptical about the whole longer antenna theory. The stock antenna's aren't that long so why does the stock receiver work so well? I'm thinking of just leaving the stock P2 receiver in when I get my new T8FGS Monday. Any good reason to change out the stock rx? The T8FGS transmitter will work the same with the stock P2 rx, or am I missing something?

DesertFlyer53 said:
I'm skeptical about the whole longer antenna theory. The stock antenna's aren't that long so why does the stock receiver work so well? I'm thinking of just leaving the stock P2 receiver in when I get my new T8FGS Monday. Any good reason to change out the stock rx? The T8FGS transmitter will work the same with the stock P2 rx, or am I missing something?

Antenna layout is very important but I don't know if the longer antennas will make a difference or not. I haven't even been past 500m so I don't even know if I my current antenna layout needs to be improved. What I do know is that DJI probably knows more about antenna placement than any of us so the stock antenna positions might be so for very good reasons. Who knows?!? Anyway, for your purposes, you have no need to jump in an swap out the receiver right away. You can bind the 8FGS to the stock receiver and use it that way if you like. And then later on, if you want to try out the Futaba receiver, you can.

ianwood said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Antenna layout is very important but I don't know if the longer antennas will make a difference or not. I haven't even been past 500m so I don't even know if I my current antenna layout needs to be improved. What I do know is that DJI probably knows more about antenna placement than any of us so the stock antenna positions might be so for very good reasons. Who knows?!? Anyway, for your purposes, you have no need to jump in an swap out the receiver right away. You can bind the 8FGS to the stock receiver and use it that way if you like. And then later on, if you want to try out the Futaba receiver, you can.

Thank you very much. That's what I'm going to do.

Once I download your settings to a SD card and load them into the T8FGS, is there anything else I have to do to the radio? Or am I good to fly at that point.

DesertFlyer53 said:

Once I download your settings to a SD card and load them into the T8FGS, is there anything else I have to do to the radio? Or am I good to fly at that point.

You'll need to bind the controller to the stock receiver. Put the Phantom 2 profile on the receiver and turn it on. If you look underneath the phantom, there is a little hole in the underbelly on the starboard side. That is the bind button. Turn the Phantom on (no props!), press and hold that button for about 5 seconds. Voila!

Caveat: I've never bound anything to the stock RX but I think that is the process.

ianwood said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

You'll need to bind the controller to the stock receiver. Put the Phantom 2 profile on the receiver and turn it on. If you look underneath the phantom, there is a little hole in the underbelly on the starboard side. That is the bind button. Turn the Phantom on (no props!), press and hold that button for about 5 seconds. Voila!

Caveat: I've never bound anything to the stock RX but I think that is the process.

Again... thank you! Futaba should pay you a percentage of the radio's they sell as a result of this thread. ;)

DesertFlyer53 said:
Again... thank you! Futaba should pay you a percentage of the radio's they sell as a result of this thread. ;)

And DJI!

Received my new T8FGS today! Let the fun begin! :)

This is my first 'computer" radio. Looking at the book... **** intimidating! Good thing Ianwood did most of the work for us. Otherwise I'd be totally clueless. Was going to use my work computer (I only have a mac at home) to load the SD card, but I forgot my card reader at home (there isn't a card reader on my work computer)! Guess I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get this radio going. :cry:

DesertFlyer53 said:
Received my new T8FGS today! Let the fun begin! :)

This is my first 'computer" radio. Looking at the book... **** intimidating! Good thing Ianwood did most of the work for us. Otherwise I'm be totally clueless. Was going to use my work computer (I only have a mac at home) to load the SD card, but I forgot my card reader at home (there isn't a card reader on my work computer)! Guess I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get this radio going. :cry:

I hadn't used the radio either. However, getting the head start with the model Ianwood provided allowed me to go back and see what was done and then modify it for my own needs. The hardest thing for me was learning that the control was a touch control and you moved the selection by just running your finger around it. I kept trying to press it to make it go. ;-}

With that it is still not completely straight forward but you can get it to work. I think I've changed just about everything at this point - and then changed a lot of it back.

Let me know how hard it is to bind to the P2. The only hint I've heard is that, if you have problems, change the model type (not the model). That was with the 14 not the 8FGHS. I wouldn''t do that before I tried the simple way first. The default should be FASST and I think that is the right one... or not.

I have a question Mr. Wood... any chance I could get the profile info, not in formatted for radio form but instead with parameters listed for each channel?

I understand if that is tedious and not easily done- basically, your profile for this radio would address much of my issues with programming my 10CAG if I had the actual information. I know there will be discrepancies as they are different radios, but after 3 days of little progress, and now with DJI backing out of offering me assistance (they are passing off to Futaba who passes it off to DJI in typical catch 22 fashion) I am so close, but yet so far.

If I had known this was going to be so absolutely ridiculous, I would have not bought this radio- I honestly cannot believe that with all the radios of this specific model in use out there, nobody has any info or assistance.

DesertFlyer53 said:
I'm skeptical about the whole longer antenna theory. The stock antenna's aren't that long so why does the stock receiver work so well?

The stock antennae are routed along the legs, this gives a pretty good exposure however the replacement receiver antennae are not long enough to place both of then along the legs. I tried for weeks to get a clean reception changing the placement of the second antenna inside the case and never succeed getting my P2 past 400m before losing signal. The minute I added the new antennae and routed them as shown in my previous post, I've flown out to over 1700m with no problem at all.

I spoke to a guy here in the UK who is an authorised repair agent for a lot of the big R/C manufacturers. He said that the P2's biggest probem was all the curcuit boards inside the body. They are all signal blockers and the only way to get clean reliabe reception was to position the tips of the antenna as far away from metal and electronics as possible. I think the entended antennae have been proven to be the solution for the P2 + Futaba combo.

Got my new T8FGS today. After a little head scratching, I finally got everything working perfect. I binded the Tx to the stock P2 Rx which was simple. Ran the Phantom 2 assistant and everything checked out. First flight with the new radio tomorrow! :D

Hiway said:
I have a question Mr. Wood... any chance I could get the profile info, not in formatted for radio form but instead with parameters listed for each channel?

I understand if that is tedious and not easily done- basically, your profile for this radio would address much of my issues with programming my 10CAG if I had the actual information.

I know how you feel as there was nothing for the 8FGS when I got it! Have you had a look here for the fundamental settings:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7688

Gimbal settings are a few pages back in this thread.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Got my new T8FGS today. After a little head scratching, I finally got everything working perfect. I binded the Tx to the stock P2 Rx which was simple. Ran the Phantom 2 assistant and everything checked out. First flight with the new radio tomorrow! :D

Glad to see that it worked out. Enjoy!

ianwood said:

I know how you feel as there was nothing for the 8FGS when I got it! Have you had a look here for the fundamental settings:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7688

Gimbal settings are a few pages back in this thread.

I had not seen that thread- thank you- and to goldfishrock... I will scour that today and glean everything I can from it.

First flight with new radio and new FPV system (Black Pearl monitor) today! Went off without a hitch! :D

I love the ability to slow tilt the GoPro camera and the selectable rates on the yaw channel. Those to things alone make the upgrade worth it! My video's are going to look much better as a result.

As for the new FPV system... works great too but it's going to take some getting use to.

Attachments

• IMG_20140304_101054_366.jpg
    IMG_20140304_101054_366.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 475

Just set this on my 8FG and I love it. Very nice smooth gimbal moves. Can't wait to get out and shoot some video to test it all out.

I am curious, if you could also program another switch like SB but have it tilt faster than the current SB switch. I like the smooth tilts, but think it could be too slow for some action shots. Could SE or SG be programmed like SB but faster?

So SB for slow gimbal, SE for faster gimbal movements?

hsestes said:
I am curious, if you could also program another switch like SB but have it tilt faster than the current SB switch. I like the smooth tilts, but think it could be too slow for some action shots. Could SE or SG be programmed like SB but faster?

So SB for slow gimbal, SE for faster gimbal movements?

Possible but I'd need to look into it. In the meantime, you can go into the motor menu and adjust the in out numbers to change the gimbal speed. I think I had it a 26. 27 is slowest.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4