Setting GPS Go-Home

Reaction score
When I press S2 up and down 5 times quickly.. it's not blinking the GPS green lights to acknowledge the GPS home spot. Any ideas? Few things.. yes it's green, I have 7 satellites locked. It used to do it, now it doesn't anymore? Do I need to do a re-cal again? Also, how often should I do that?

jaywoodz said:
When I press S2 up and down 5 times quickly.. it's not blinking the GPS green lights to acknowledge the GPS home spot. Any ideas? Few things.. yes it's green, I have 7 satellites locked. It used to do it, now it doesn't anymore? Do I need to do a re-cal again? Also, how often should I do that?

I think you are standing in left field on everything you mentioned.

It's obvious you have read something, you just mixed things up......

To start with, the S2 toggle switch and up and down 5 times, has nothing to do with setting GPS Go Home. The S2 5 times is a option to set a new Home Location. It is something rarely mentioned, and rarely used. When using it as a option to "re-set" where you want your "new" location, it can be anywhere. Meaning if you want this new location to be 100ft above your head, it can be. It does not provide any additional distance or anything. Nor will it improve performance in anyway either. Nine months to a year ago when each pilot had the fear of a fly-a-way, this feature was more used. A pilot would mark a new location in the sky somewhere thinking it was giving more insurance while flying.

As for " Setting GPS Go Home" there is technically one place that takes place. And that is in the Assistant with the controller set un naza mode. It is one of two options for setting up the FailSafe feature in Naza. When switching the S1 switch to failsafe, you can either have it set to, Go Home, or Land at it's current location.

Now what you are wanting to do is Mark your Home Point before launching into flight. And to do that, after starting the motors you must receive 6 satellites for 20 seconds in order to mark your home location. If you are successful, you will see rapid flashing green lights from your quad. The lights will then flash moderately.

Hopefully this will get you on point with how it works, and how some of it works. You might consider looking over the manual again.

Contrary to what flyNfrank says, the ability to change your Home Point (please call it that to avoid confusion) is actually quite useful if you plan to use the features of Course Lock and Home Lock. Those allow you to force the Phantom into specific flight parameters that allow you to film video tracking shots. Many of us use IOC to fly, and changing the Home Point is pretty routine...

To use the S2 option of forcing a Return to Home (often abbreviated as RTH), you first must change your software to "NAZA Mode" from the factory setting of "Phantom Mode", and then you must also check the "IOC" option on the software, and finally, you need to set up that switch for "Failsafe" in the #3 position.

As frank said, it need to read the manual again (and again), as it is hard to comprehend. It is also helpful to read the NAZA manual here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .26_en.pdf

That has lots of good info about IOC and the switch settings. Good luck!

Its actually S1 that can be (re)programmed for the Fail-safe 'command' at its lowest position.
S2 is limited to IOC functions only.

As far as resetting Home lock in flight, it can be useful to add altitude to the return home path for obstacle/collision avoidance.

N017RW said:
Its actually S1 that can be (re)programmed for the Fail-safe 'command' at its lowest position.
S2 is limited to IOC functions only.

exactly. Proof read, I should.

Resetting home point is a very useful feature for anyone flying in an area infested with trees.
You don't want any RTH travelling through trees to get home so it's easy to set the home point up above you and above tree height.
Even in an obstacle-free site, I always manually set my home point as a way of physically confirming that I have recorded a good home point. It's easier to observe the flashing greens 3 metres up than it is on the ground.

I have a Phantom 1 ...1.1.1 ver4.00. My quad flys fine but I have never been able to set a new home point in the air. Wish I could. IOC is enabled

flyNfrank said:
jaywoodz said:

I think you are standing in left field on everything you mentioned.

It's obvious you have read something, you just mixed things up......

To start with, the S2 toggle switch and up and down 5 times, has nothing to do with setting GPS Go Home. The S2 5 times is a option to set a new Home Location. It is something rarely mentioned, and rarely used. When using it as a option to "re-set" where you want your "new" location, it can be anywhere. Meaning if you want this new location to be 100ft above your head, it can be. It does not provide any additional distance or anything. Nor will it improve performance in anyway either. Nine months to a year ago when each pilot had the fear of a fly-a-way, this feature was more used. A pilot would mark a new location in the sky somewhere thinking it was giving more insurance while flying.

As for " Setting GPS Go Home" there is technically one place that takes place. And that is in the Assistant with the controller set un naza mode. It is one of two options for setting up the FailSafe feature in Naza. When switching the S1 switch to failsafe, you can either have it set to, Go Home, or Land at it's current location.

Now what you are wanting to do is Mark your Home Point before launching into flight. And to do that, after starting the motors you must receive 6 satellites for 20 seconds in order to mark your home location. If you are successful, you will see rapid flashing green lights from your quad. The lights will then flash moderately.

Hopefully this will get you on point with how it works, and how some of it works. You might consider looking over the manual again.

Yes, I meant "set new home location", I was off on the wording, but that's what I'm trying to accomplish. It used to do it all the time, each time I did it up and down 5 times very fast, and now it doesn't do it at all. I like to manually set the home location because I'm paranoid. Are you saying that I don't need to set a new home location each time? or does it do it automagically?

Also, I've had at least 6 sats for 20 seconds, and it still doesn't do it. I did open the NAZA app, but I didn't modify anything.. just poked around.

Its a known issue. Problem seems to be the firmware. 3.06 prior was easy to re/set the home position/direction lock.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22675
And just to clarify.. the left toggle (IOC) is used to set home postion/direction lock.

Mako79 said:
Its a known issue. Problem seems to be the firmware. 3.06 prior was easy to re/set the home position/direction lock.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22675
And just to clarify.. the left toggle (IOC) is used to set home postion/direction lock.

I could have sworn it's the right side.. in fact, I'm positive it was. I didn't change it to the left side, or vice versa. I also have the latest firmware. Just checked last week.

jaywoodz said:
I could have sworn it's the right side.. in fact, I'm positive it was. I didn't change it to the left side, or vice versa. I also have the latest firmware. Just checked last week.

Resetting RTH in flight has always been with S2 (the left switch).

Right side (i.e. S1) is to ready your copter for compass calibration. You were doing that and probably are mixing this up with S2 resetting HL (and CL by the way).

Dirty Bird said:
jaywoodz said:

Resetting RTH in flight has always been with S2 (the left switch).

Yup, you're right. I got mixed up. Maybe that's why it's not working haha! ;) :lol:

Certainly is the left one :). For homepoint reset make sure to go from center to down position 5 times ending up in the center position again in the end, steady but not too fast and yet not too slow :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl