Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Seriously, don't skip any steps.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Eos630, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Eos630

Went flying today, waited for the usual full GPS lock and the two sets of flashing green. Worked fine. Only went up for a few minutes on a full charge. I landed and powered down and some dude comes walking over and of course wants to see it work.

I had to go but I told him I'd hover it for a second so he could see it. I wasn't going to wait for a whole startup sequence just for a ten second hover at five feet. Powered up, eased the left stick up and KABOOM! LIFTOFF! The thing shot straight up into the air like a rocket and RAN for it. Must've climbed about 80ft. and then just chose a direction.

I found it in the woods about 200yds away.

Don't do that.

2. skeeter

But, was "the dude" impressed? ;)

Seriously, bummer. Hope she was not too worse for the "adventure" and glad you got her back...

...Skeeter
    since 1960....

3. Eos630

Dude thought it was awesome. As soon as it launched itself into the sky, I started cursing a blue streak. He was all, "Wow! That thing goes really high!" I'm going, "Ah! I LOST it!" He goes, "Naw. Boy that thing goes really fast, doesn't it?"

Hope he didn't wait too long for me to answer because I just sprinted away without a word. He stole my FPV display shade. This was so worth it.

The P2 survived okay. The gimbal is on its way to DJI for repair.

4. adamgoodsell46

That was hilarious.

5. skeeter

"...stole my FPV display shade." Dude was a d*** :x

Yeah. It's funny now. I bet it wasn't at the time... You have a great attitude about it! I would probably be washing my shorts about now!! :eek:

Got any video to share this moment with?

6. Eos630

Eh... it's still not that funny. I don't much miss that shade though. Didn't fit well or do too much. I'm mostly just happy that I had a fly-away and got it back. I got awful lucky with my stupid.

I got an SOS screen on my GoPro, but it didn't seem to work out. I've got a file on my microSD card that is about 1.5MB in size, and contains 7 minutes of black silence. I tried to recover it by running a Perl script and some software I found, but no joy. I would LOVE to see the video.

7. poostik

Why the hell would he steal the shade?

DJI repairs gimbals? Had no idea.

8. poostik

Also, I've been in similar situations but I always let it go through startup and get GPS.
    Sorry yours took off but glad it survived okay.