Series of strange problems... Including failure to power on.

Reaction score
Hello,

So the other day I was out filming with my DJI Phantom 2. I was flying in perfectly calm conditions with just the basic drone, (so no gimbal, video transmitter, prop guards, etc.)
After waiting for the drone to successfully connect to GPS, I powered on the motors; this is when the first issue appeared, one of the four props took a few seconds to start up, so I powered the motors down, and tried again, still the motor was delayed. After a few retries the motor then started with the rest. Being a little skeptical I powered up and slowly began raising thrust, much to my surprise the prop suddenly flew off from the drone... I powered down the drone instantly and watched as this one prop flew about 10 meters into the air and landed not to far away. This issue really got me confused as the thread is reversed to the motor, meaning that for the prop to come off the motor must have been spinning in the opposite direction, I checked the motor again by powering up and it span the correct way...

Shortly after this, following checks on the drone, I took the drone off again, this time the drone was responding perfectly, no issues at all.. Five minuets into the flight I was flying along, about 3 meters off the ground. The drone then died, not just the motors but the entire drone shut down, turning upside down and landing on its top it caused no damage to the props as they had stopped before the drone had landed. I instantly assumed it had been a flat battery, but on checking the battery was above half full.

Unfortunately, the largest problem is that my drone will not start at all anymore, using any of my three batteries on initial start-up the drone makes a quick flash of yellow, a struggled beep and dies.
I have inspected the inside, assuming a loose connection, but I have found nothing.

Has anyone had these issues before? I am not sure if all of my issues are linked in some way but as they all happened withing half an hour it is very likely.

Please can you help.

Thank you.

Levi Edwards.

Re: Series of strange problems... Including failure to power

I'm not sure about why your motors aren't working right, but I have seen a couple of stories of props coming off. Basically it's because the motor stops suddenly and momentum means if it is not very tight the prop continues in the same direction, which then means it is going in the right direction to spin off.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks! Unfortunately I now need to work out why the motor stopped in the first place...

I have experienced a prop coming off in flight. It turned out to be a motor wire problem. Wires were not passing electricity properly and the motor began to ratchet/stutter. This caused the self tightening prop to be become a "self removing prop" because of its inertia.

Your phantom may not be firing up because the GPS is broke or disconnected from crash.

Upload a short video of led sequences. It will help people trouble shoot your problem.

Hmm OK. I'll have a closer look into the wiring of the motors and the GPS. Thanks!

As a general rule you should add a bit of torque and tighten the props on the motors.

This will increase the amount of torque needed to 'remove' it beyond that which the prop itself cannot generate.

LeviEdwards said:
Hmm OK. I'll have a closer look into the wiring of the motors and the GPS. Thanks!
In my case you could not see the wiring problem. I had to take props and top shell partially off. The GPS needs to remain plugged in because CSC will not start motors without GPS plugged in. (It would show a series of 3 quick yellow flashes after slow reds with GPS unhooked - I believe)

Once motors are started up, I was able to confirm soldering on ESC was OK, but when I moved the wires from ESC to motor I found I could get the motor to spin normal and then stutter by moving wires near motor at the point where the heat shrink cover is located.

I ended up replacing the suspect motor without the need of replacing the ESC. All works well so far.

I'd like to avoid any confusion here.

When I say my phantom will not power on, I do not mean the CSC (props starting). I mean that the drone its self; after pressing once, then holding the power button, makes a weak, half cut beep, an quick flash of either yellow or green. and that is all... I cant even get to the stage where I can test the CSC...

Ah quick note...
The first problem is the ESC. So I've ordered a replacement. And hopefully that will be my issues resolved...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers