Senior Citizen Quadcopter Pilots

Reaction score
Ladies and/or Gentlemen,

I am an 84 year old retired photographer living in Homeland, California. I am trying to start what I call the Over The Hill Multirotor Aircraft Association. It would be a new lease on life for retirees who don't want to just sit on a park bench and feed the ducks while they wait to go to the home . . . or die.

Flying radio controlled quadcopters is an exhilarating and rewarding experience. Mount a camera such as the GoPro 3 on a quadcopter such as the DJI Phantom and you become a videographer who can soar above the earth and see its true beauty through aerial videography.

The DJI Phantom is the most inovative quadcopter on the market and through CEO Colin Guinn's video tutorials and enthusiastic support of the product more and more people are discovering the Phantom and all that it can do. But that is only half the story. The elation comes from the spectacular high definition footage that the GoPro 3 camera can provide of the Earth far below the Phantom. I want to show retirees how the GoPro 3 mounted on the DJI Phantom can give their mind more freedom than most people know exists. With the GoPro 3 camera they can discover the true meaning of the phrase, "a bird's eye view".

Don't just sit and wait for that Grim Reaper. Do some reaping of your own. Reap the satisfying rewards of seeing what old, beautiful, Mother Earth looks like from a mile high in the sky. I need a walker to get around, but I can soar above the planet and see that beauty that most people do not even know exists.

Help me get the message across to retirees in my area that retiring isn't the end of their productive life. It can be the beginning of a whole new field of endeavor . . . aerial videography. If you are a senior citizen in the Homeland, California area and like what I have said here, please contact: [email protected]

I want old farts everywhere to join this old fart in forming the Over the Hill Multirotor Aircraft Association. We can't see the beauty of the far horizon unless we get off the ground.

Christopher R. Mohr Senior

Christopher,

Well said and sage advice to live by. Now if only I can get my mother into quadcopters as well! I think the best way you can recruit more participants from your age group is to make some videos and share them on the computer or DVD or what have you. Show them how you were able to do it and how much you enjoy it.

Ian

my dad is 80 i went out and purchased a second phantom so him and i could go fly together. His is the trainer phantom and has no upgrades. he has about 8 flights with only 1 tip over. yesterday was the first time he flew with the gopro. i will post his video in a day or so.

ianwood said:
Christopher,

Well said and sage advice to live by. Now if only I can get my mother into quadcopters as well! I think the best way you can recruit more participants from your age group is to make some videos and share them on the computer or DVD or what have you. Show them how you were able to do it and how much you enjoy it.

Ian

Thank you for your interest Ian. Posting videos is good advice, but although I have a GoPro 3 Black Edition camera, I can't get the proper conditions to use it on my Phantom. I live mostly on Social Security so you can imagine how long it has taken me to acquire my Phantom and my GoPro. I am really tapped out.

Where I live, I cannot acquire the necessary satellites to enable my GPS. Plus the fact that there is no room to really improve my piloting skills. I would seek out an open field, but I get very little use of my wife's car and I hate to beg.

Then too, my arthritis prevents me from running after my bird to reposition it. My arthritis and my wavering sense of balance
dictates that I use a walker. So, I really need at least one helper and that's what I'm trying to get with my posting. Hoping that can lead to the development of my project.

Thanks again for your reply to my plea.

Chris

brad90631 said:
my dad is 80 i went out and purchased a second phantom so him and i could go fly together. His is the trainer phantom and has no upgrades. he has about 8 flights with only 1 tip over. yesterday was the first time he flew with the gopro. i will post his video in a day or so.

Sounds as if you're on the right track Brad. I wish my kids and my grandkids and my greatgrandkids would take an interest and assist me, but they have better things to do. I look forward to seeing your Dad's video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic