Send P3s back, get a P4?

Reaction score
I have been trying to talk myself out of sending my P3s back and getting a P4. I love my Phantom! it is a blast to fly and I have really been enjoying it. I feel I want the added range that comes with the P4 and the higher quality camera would be nice as well. I am far from a professional photographer but I do enjoy trying to get nice shots. I got my P3 from Amazon, I am still within my window to send it back for a full refund. I almost jumped on it the other day, Amazon had a P4 for $870 shipped, no tax. If I see that price again I think I might pull the trigger. Unless someone can convince me its a waste of the extra cost?

I am still within my window to send it back for a full refund
You might want to double check that with Amazon. I'm not sure they allow used items to be returned for a full refund after you've enjoyed them and later decided you have buyer's remorse.

My 'philosophy' in life is ... buy the cheapest to do the job, or the most expensive you can afford. Anything in between is a 'compromise'.
The P3S is a very good entry level and a good value too, for all the features/technology one gets. At the upper end, certainly the P4 Pro is a good contender (though a bit pricey).

I got the P3S was a good choice to learn the hobby (and crash). My son wanted the more expensive model but what if this hobby fades away and something else comes along (3D VR?). ... So, I'll get the most mileage from my P3S before spending more $$$.

Last edited:
I have been trying to talk myself out of sending my P3s back and getting a P4. I love my Phantom! it is a blast to fly and I have really been enjoying it. I feel I want the added range that comes with the P4 and the higher quality camera would be nice as well. I am far from a professional photographer but I do enjoy trying to get nice shots. I got my P3 from Amazon, I am still within my window to send it back for a full refund. I almost jumped on it the other day, Amazon had a P4 for $870 shipped, no tax. If I see that price again I think I might pull the trigger. Unless someone can convince me its a waste of the extra cost?
Did you buy the P3 new?

At the price point for the P4, why not go a different route altogether and go with the Mavic Pro? All of the bells and whistles of the P4P, plus the added convenience of portability...All for less than the cost of the P4 (at regular price).

Reactions: BuickGS
Did you buy the P3 new?

Yes, I have had it a week and a half or so. It is great, just falls a little short on range.I am only getting about 1/4 of a mile before it looses signal and comes back. If I could get at least half a mile I might be more apt to keep it. I live in out in the country so there is not much out there to interfere with signal.

At the price point for the P4, why not go a different route altogether and go with the Mavic Pro? All of the bells and whistles of the P4P, plus the added convenience of portability...All for less than the cost of the P4 (at regular price).

That might actually be an option. I was hoping the Windsurfer would gain some distance for me but at just about 1/4 mile that barely gets me off my property.

P4 has a better camera and in my opinion better focus performance. Also the Mavic has real issues with aliasing at 1080P 60 FPS. Unless you need the compact on the go option that Mavic gives you, I would go with a P4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have a p4 and love it.. I did have a Mavic pro but ended up selling it. Like said in the previous post, the Mavic has terrible performance in the 1080 60 area and I need that . It also seems to have a super sensitive compass that in my opinion has ruined the joy of flying it.. constant messages and interference...P4 is more enjoyable and less of a headache in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BuickGS
I hope so, it was quite a jump in price lol! I am worried about all of the complaints about range. I was lucky to get over 1/4 mile with my P3S, that barely gets me off my own property. I am hoping for at lease a mile range. Anything over that will be bonus!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen