Self-repairing Phantom 3 Standard after crash

Reaction score
Hello all I live in italy so I am in CE mode (don't know if it matters). I had a hard crash with the right rear propeller hitting the cable at the top of a power line pilon (the one not carrying electricity) and dropping from 37 meters. This about 3 weeks ago and tried to repair the bird myself as I've already lose warranty in a previous self-repair.
Everything went fine, I completely replaced the shell, the battery just popped out with no apparent damages (while the power plug inside the bird broked), and incredibly nothing happened to the gimbal or the camera I just broke the two ufl cables (gray and black) going from the gimbal to the two 2.4 ghz antennas inside the body (I had to completely replace them), and everything worked fine. I could start my phantom, get the usual gimbal dance, and video from the camera to my tablet as well to the microSD.
Also did a firmware update with some problem, but at the end it worked correctly after six tries.
The only thing not working now is a motor that seems to work, but as soon as i put the propeller on it, seems to turn slower than the others when in idle, and when first i tried to take off automatically, my phantom, firstly got to the usual take off heigth, than begun to shake, and while i tried to land immediately, it landed upside down.
After this i tried to take off manually again, and noticed the slower speed of the right back motor (see from front to back), yes the one that impacted. Also if i tried to stop manually the motor (without propellers installed of course) in idle mode, i found that this one stops and then once freed does not restart but shakes continuously. All the others once stopped and then freed, restart normally. What i did then is to change the motor with a new one. At first this seemed to fix the problem, but again at first take off my phantom turned upside down and crashed in the grass, and now the motor behaves like the old one prior substitution. Now i'm quite sure that the problem resides in the ESC part of the mainboard connected to that motor, so i think i have to replace it. I didn't do an Imu calibration once repaired, I never did it as the app never asked me to do. Could this fix this problem or I have just to replace the mainboard ? Also i found that the mainboard should be the Phantom 3 Standard Part 76, but looking at photos on different american reseller sites i found differenences of the same part. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, please help me !

I tried but it didn't solve the problem. I think I have to replace the mainboard.

try spin each motor ? is any difrent with rest of 3,
maybe something stuck or unnormal bearing after crash.
just like any dynamo / motor if stuck will be felt when rotate slow,
but on high rpm its forced to spin.

when you put propller its start the problem, i think maybe motor shake from bearing , becouse propller make vibration.

sorry for my poor english

cek the rotor

I just did a main board replacement on my sons standard. It went pretty good. Just had to re-sinc the remote and re- register the bird with DJI. But it worked perfect after that.

Reactions: Aldo962
try spin each motor ? is any difrent with rest of 3,
maybe something stuck or unnormal bearing after crash.
just like any dynamo / motor if stuck will be felt when rotate slow,
but on high rpm its forced to spin.

when you put propller its start the problem, i think maybe motor shake from bearing , becouse propller make vibration.

sorry for my poor english

cek the rotor

Thank you for your reply. Therefore the propellers are all new as well as the motor that I have substituted at first. Unfortunately that was not enough.:(

I just did a main board replacement on my sons standard. It went pretty good. Just had to re-sinc the remote and re- register the bird with DJI. But it worked perfect after that.

These are good news. I hope it will be the same for me and my standard. It is my first "serious" drone and I really love it. Thank you for sharing your experience.

These are good news. I hope it will be the same for me and my standard. It is my first "serious" drone and I really love it. Thank you for sharing your experience.
I did it !!! I've substituted the mainboard myself and my Phantom 3 Standard is flying again. Nothing diffucult to change it, just pay attention to de-soldering and re- soldering all the leds, motors, and of course power cables. After registration of the new unit, I had to relink the controller and do a firmware update. At last I did also an Imu calibration, just in case, and everything worked fine at first attempt. What a beatiful sensation to see it fly again ! Thanks all for your suggestions and partecipation !
Aldo

That's great! Lot's of soldering work and attention to details pays off. Congratulations & fly-on....

Reactions: Aldo962

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen