Self-Imposed No Fly Zone

Reaction score
I've lived in the same house for 30 years and have known the hospital one block away to sometimes (rarely) accept patients flown in by helicopter. Well don't you know it I'm flying my P2+ in my rear yard about exactly 400 ft up. ; ) When I heard the familiar thump thump thump of rotors. It was just too close for comfort. You just can't get out of the way fast enough short of CSC and sometimes that's not enough. No more yard flying...oh well. Anybody share this experience?

Last edited:
Well... It's your yard... You do not need to be 400ft up at all times do you? If you want to continue to fly safely around your yard with it then just do it at a sensible height that if a cas evac helo enters the area it's not going to potentially become a problem?

Well... It's your yard... You do not need to be 400ft up at all times do you? If you want to continue to fly safely around your yard with it then just do it at a sensible height that if a cas evac helo enters the area it's not going to potentially become a problem?

I agree, I also seem to be in a favorite path way for local choppers, Staying lower and LOS seems to works for me. They are low but not so low that I cant fly 100-150 or so.
although I am not nearly as close to LZ as OP

Smarter than CSC is to unlock the fully manual failsafe option available in NAZA mode. The right switch's bottom position goes from triggering a go home to turning off all autopilot functions of the flight controller and it responds similar to how a normal rc heli does. It allows you to make very fast descents and puts no limits on your angle of attack. The trick is that the left stick that controls altitude up/down now is a true throttle and in the centered home position will only command ~50% throttle.
You can switch to manual, perform a quick dip and then switch back to atti or gps mode to help stabilize after the drop. You have to be VERY wary of VRS when doing this and start with some horizontal momentum to avoid losing all lift.Thankfully when you're high up you have more space/time to recover from a near freefall and can pretty quickly get that first 100 feet and then descend the rest in a more controlled manner. Obviously you should practice something like this in a wide open area to get the hang of it.
During one of my practice runs at a beach (with no one around) i came within 20 or 30 feet of the ground before regaining a steady hover, so it does have its risks, but it that has a way bigger survivability factor than simply shutting down the motors and letting gravity take the wheel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav