Seeking operators in/near Southampton (UK)

Reaction score
Hi there, well I've spent most of this week trying to finalise my EuroUSC Ops Manual in pursuit of my PFAW.. got to say, I'm finding the whole experience pretty dispiriting! I'm a videographer who covers a lot of events (including weddings) and corporate stuff, and bought a Phantom 2 in 2014 with the aim of adding some simple aerial shots to my offer. I'm not trying to do anything fancy. I've got no previous experience with model aircraft, or anything aerial - and I know I'm by no means alone in that! Also I should add that I'm not a video clown who wants to buzz stadiums or fly around the city centre etc.

I knew about the PFAW requirement before I bought the drone; I passed my BNUC-S course last year, and found the information all pretty straightforward and common sense. It was helpful being with other people and able to talk to the instructor and other candidates. Since then I've just been stuck in a room with the documents I received from EuroUSC, and the internet, trying to make sense of this Ops Manual and developing severe cabin fever!

I need what' s called in educational theory an MKO - a "more knowledgeable other" (sorry, I'm an ex-teacher). The internet is great, but it's not a substitute for learning from more experienced operators.. I've looked to see if there are any UAS / multicopter user groups or some kind of support network locally, but have found nothing.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer some positive input. Is anyone operating in or near Southampton? Do you know of any groups I could join? Can you share your experience of using the P2 commercially or getting accredited? Could you use an extra observer / spotter?

Apologies if this post isn't suitable for the forum, but I'm starting to feel desperate and this feels like the most positive thing I've done today!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost