Seeking long range long flight time drone capabilities...

Reaction score
My uncle owns a farm/ranch +- 4000 acres. He was impressed with my Phantom 2 Vision +, but is needing / wanting something that can cover the entire ranch.

He is looking for something that can fly be controlled from + 2 miles away, and stay up a lot longer than 25 minutes. Something that he can fly the perimeter fence.

While I won't say that money is no object, it is no obstacle. Does that make sense? $10-20K would be doable, but he expects his money's worth.

Any ideas, advice?

Here is the main office of the ranch from my P2V+. Very small part of the ranch as a whole.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eCB7QPEpfw[/youtube]

Re: Seeking long range long flight time drone capabilities..

LostAngel said:
My uncle owns a farm/ranch +- 4000 acres. He was impressed with my Phantom 2 Vision +, but is needing / wanting something that can cover the entire ranch.

He is looking for something that can fly be controlled from + 2 miles away, and stay up a lot longer than 25 minutes. Something that he can fly the perimeter fence.

While I won't say that money is no object, it is no obstacle. Does that make sense? $10-20K would be doable, but he expects his money's worth.

Any ideas, advice?

Here is the main office of the ranch from my P2V+. Very small part of the ranch as a whole.

I think you will find something that works (25+ minutes might be a problem) if you've got that kind of money - but I don't think that's the real problem. As soon as you're using it for "commercial" purposes and are flying it outside of line of sight - you open up a whole lot of actual and gray area rules from the FAA.

dirkclod said:
Checking his fence line on his own property wouldn't be considered commercial would it ?

If his ranch is a business - I would assume it would be?

Buckaye said:
LostAngel said:

Any ideas, advice?

Not to mention flying beyond visual range. FAA has been crystal clear on the subject. Everything they have written and ALL of the Section 333 commercial operation permits they have approved require staying within the unaided eyesight of the pilot.

Then there are the standing FCC regulations which absolutely prohibit the modification or alteration of a Part 15 certified device.(CFR 47 Part 15 Section 203)

This will do the job... it has waypoint autopilot facility... just fly low :) forward and rear camera pods.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1a2OopOQo[/youtube]

Or this one...
Less "intimidating"...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhu-TGMZzU[/youtube]

Lost Angel.
I sent you a PM.
contact me or have your uncle call me direct.

I've already got a system that can do what your uncle wants, and it cost me around $2,000 total. I'm using a Vision+ with the Stage 4 Kit from FPVLR.com and I can get out to 2.9 miles under optimal conditions. Based on your video, my system could easily meet your requirements. However, staying up longer than 20 minutes is IMPOSSIBLE with the Vision+. Would he be able to tolerate 2 or 3 separate missions to fly the perimeter?

For a modest $1,200 fee, I'd be willing to fly down to Texas and personally give you a demonstration and also build the system for your uncle. He'd had to pay for the equipment of course.

If you got room at the house to let me stay for a couple days, we could shoot the breeze and talk all things Phantoms. But I also got rewards points at Holiday Inn if you prefer I find my own lodging.

Let me know! :p

For that sort of range and flight time he'd be better looking at some of the winged drones like these
https://www.sensefly.com/drones/ebee-ag.html
http://www.questuav.com/
There are quite a few out there used for survey and mapping but they cost crazy prices compared to what we're used to.
Unfortunately the FAA has a very broad definition of commercial use. This is what they say:
i-9DnhVLg-L.jpg

Because their ban on commercial use is ridiculous, unreasonable and unworkable many operators are "flying below the radar" and getting on with things. A little googling will find loads of examples of agricultural drone use that has no aviation safety implications.

MadMitch88 said:
I've already got a system that can do what your uncle wants, and it cost me around $2,000 total. I'm using a Vision+ with the Stage 4 Kit from FPVLR.com and I can get out to 2.9 miles under optimal conditions. Based on your video, my system could easily meet your requirements. However, staying up longer than 20 minutes is IMPOSSIBLE with the Vision+. Would he be able to tolerate 2 or 3 separate missions to fly the perimeter?

For a modest $1,200 fee, I'd be willing to fly down to Texas and personally give you a demonstration and also build the system for your uncle. He'd had to pay for the equipment of course.

If you got room at the house to let me stay for a couple days, we could shoot the breeze and talk all things Phantoms. But I also got rewards points at Holiday Inn if you prefer I find my own lodging.

Let me know! :p

Wouldn't that exceed VFR?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub