Seeking landowner's permission?

Reaction score
How do you guys do this (if you do currently)?

There are two football fields need me run by private clubs. I've flown on these once or twice later on in the evening when it's deserted but always feel like I'm sneaking on there. I want to ask them for permission and I'm thinking of constructing either an email or letter to them asking politely if I could use them when nobody's about. I'd enclose/attach my certificate on insurance and assure them I'd pay for any damages etc.

How do you guys normally seek permission to fly - email/letter/phone/turn up and ask? If you have a standard letter do you mind sharing it or the points on it please?

To achieve the desired approval I would recommend talking with building Principal or Superintendent of the district. I would also bring the quad for demo so they are not perceiving it as a large scale military drone they have seen so many times on TV.

I would definitely not fly over the people that normally use the track and field for exercise without this permission. Even then I would be reluctant because it only takes one old lady thinking your filming her, to raise a stink with media or school.

CocoPops said:
Are they publicly accessible? No locked gate etc?

If so, no need.

Exactly. And especially if you pay property tax in the town they are located. If it's private property, I'd just stay away.

Just email the club secretary and see what they say.

It sounds like you are a responsible owner and you are well away from members of the public, so hopefully they won't object.

As a sweetener, you could offer to do some shots of the facilities for their archives - a few stills, that sort of thing!

Be careful though; when you ask 'm, suddenly they need to have an opinion about it, and there is a chance they'll say no then, whereas they would never have known about it if you wouldn't have been so polite to ask. You got to be prepared for a 'no' as well. Although it is very nice to ask of course.

Jstic said:
CocoPops said:
Are they publicly accessible? No locked gate etc?

If so, no need.

Exactly. And especially if you pay property tax in the town they are located. If it's private property, I'd just stay away.

Yes, they're unlocked but still it'd be nice to have approval and some documentation to pull out should anyone start questioning what I'm doing.

noiseboy72 said:
Just email the club secretary and see what they say.

It sounds like you are a responsible owner and you are well away from members of the public, so hopefully they won't object.

As a sweetener, you could offer to do some shots of the facilities for their archives - a few stills, that sort of thing!

Good point, yes, I have thought about throwing in some aerial shots for them (FOC of course!)

Wally said:
Be careful though; when you ask 'm, suddenly they need to have an opinion about it, and there is a chance they'll say no then, whereas they would never have known about it if you wouldn't have been so polite to ask. You got to be prepared for a 'no' as well. Although it is very nice to ask of course.

It's a good point that I'm suddenly asking them for an opinion on something they no nothing about and the easiest answer is no. That's why I think the letter/email needs to frame it correctly so people think there's nothing to lose given the insurance and offer to pay for damages etc. Perhaps an offer of an aerial shot or two would be enough to seal the deal as noiseboy suggested.

Cheers for the input guys :)

If the fields are already being used by an aerial club, why would you think they would say no to you? Since you have insurance etc. I would think that could be discriminatory if they said no.

Secondly just because it is public and gates are not locked, it does not mean its a free for all. Some clubs use facilities after providing what you plan to show them. And they "the school" can charge a facilities use fee. Maybe those clubs have already paid that.

I would try the soft approach first, instead of just using and asking for forgiveness afterward.

Also check your local munipal codes. They might have adopted a "trespass on school property" law that prohibits being on the property without permission.

Easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. You may find they would never give permission, but never object as long as it seemed reasonable.

Seems like opinion is split.

FYI, when I said clubs earlier I meant football clubs not aerial clubs. So I'm just asking to use their football pitch when not in use.

I will definitely ask permission up front and throw in the free aerial photos as a sweetener, otherwise it'll be too easy to say no.

The golden rule seems to apply here.

Don't forget, in the UK, so long as you have permission for your take off site and obey the rules on distances from people, buildings, no fly zones and built up areas, you can fly anywhere under 400'.

When started flying on private properties,I sent my AMA ID & told them what that'll cover just to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about.
I sent the school the link to the video I shot on the property & I got a thank you card email lol

It's always to good to check even it's open to public. Sometimes it's good to show what it is that you're flying too. I had one person gave me the "I don't want drones spying on me" speech. After showing her, she felt comfortable enough for me to fly at the neighbor hood park.

If your planning to fly in parks, check if you need a permit. And if you're going to go fly at RC field ask about certain rules. One place go doesn't really care but another place I go wants me to follow all the rules that applies to heli which makes me scratch my head

That's the video of the school
https://youtu.be/kgBMfFAmXkg

Video I was shooting at neighborhood park
https://youtu.be/TutKCFoLPEI

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1