Seeking advise from all levels of drone operators

I was also very torn between the Pro/Adv and Std. For me though I couldn't justify the cost of even the Std. The recent sale price finally dropped it into my range, but I was still torn with waiting until I could afford the Pro/Adv or jumping on the Std. I finally just bit the bullet and went for it realizing if I waited I would probably never get any of them, but if I jumped into and maybe make some cash on the side, then I could justify upgrading down the road and the initial investment wouldn't be wasted, but money well spent as a learning experience.
That the deal, if you get into it and love it, you can always upgrade. What people don't realize is you can get a standard for less than what you'd pay for just the camera for the adv or pro.

I'm also in the 'couldn't justify the cost' camp. I was looking to get a Hubsan H501s originally, but when the prices on them was around £350 in the UK and the P3S came down to £450, I decided to bite.

Still not really justified, as its a toy for me really. But it is a great toy!

Reactions: jointeffort
May I ask why you wish you went with P3A rather than the P3P?
Because I don't need the 4K aspect which is why I got the Pro over the Adv. Once I got it and started using it for Commercial Ops I realized that none of my clients can utilize 4K video. If I shoot in 4K I have to downsample it to 1080p. I do realize there are several advantages to shooting in 4K and then downsampling if needed but to date I've not "needed" it yet but keep in mind that most of my work is Realtors, Architects, Building Contractors, and local News Papers. UHD isn't needed and even the pictures I take I have to often times crank them down to fit within the file size requirements my clients use.

If I had gotten the P3A I could have used the extra money to buy more batteries and so far I've never said, "Dang I've got too many P3 batteries." LOL

For the extra $200 get the advanced. It's worth it and you can grow with it as your confidence grows.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Also when you have the advanced, if you step to the pro for the camera you can use the same battery and controller etc.

My biggest gripe about the standard has always been the range. Although I had thought that the out-of-the-box range would suffice, the stated range is definitely 'in near ideal conditions'. If you try to fly it at high altitude directly above yourself, you'll likely have signal problems. If you're flying higher than the 400' level that was specified as a basis for the spec, or if you're in an area with RF interference, there's a good chance that you'll see reduced range as well. I am currently upgrading the antennas to get more range, which is an option if you're comfortable opening up the controller, but I was a bit disappointed by the initial range. If you only expect to be flying out to 1500' or so and never beyond that, and if you don't need 4k, you're probably fine with the standard. However, the constant dropout of the signal when you need/want to push it out further on a rare occasion is quite bothersome. Just something to keep in mind, and I'm hoping that my antenna upgrade will remedy the range issue.

Yea I'm cool with my standard. But signal quality could be a little better. I live in a city so interference is a very real problem for me. Sometimes I have signal problems with it sitting right in front of me. Sometimes I can take it 2000ft out with a smooth video feed. I'm going to do an antenna mod for it probably next month. Hopefully it will give me at least a mile radius in the city and I'll be fine with that.

Because I don't need the 4K aspect which is why I got the Pro over the Adv. Once I got it and started using it for Commercial Ops I realized that none of my clients can utilize 4K video. If I shoot in 4K I have to downsample it to 1080p. I do realize there are several advantages to shooting in 4K and then downsampling if needed but to date I've not "needed" it yet but keep in mind that most of my work is Realtors, Architects, Building Contractors, and local News Papers. UHD isn't needed and even the pictures I take I have to often times crank them down to fit within the file size requirements my clients use.

If I had gotten the P3A I could have used the extra money to buy more batteries and so far I've never said, "Dang I've got too many P3 batteries." LOL
Are you just doing all that work under the table or did you get the 333 exemption and are a licensed pilot? I would like to do that kind of work too but the requirements to do it properly are so expensive it's not worth it unless it's a full time job.

Are you just doing all that work under the table or did you get the 333 exemption and are a licensed pilot? I would like to do that kind of work too but the requirements to do it properly are so expensive it's not worth it unless it's a full time job.

I'm legit. I have an airman's certificate, medical, insurance, and my section 333 Exemption. Also in NC you have to pass the NC DOT Knowledge Test and obtain their Commercial UAS Operator Permit (free).

Get the Advanced and don't look back! I bought the P3S a few weeks ago and immediately regretted it. I have never flown a real quadcopter before this (besides the Millennium Falcon I flew in my house) and it is a dream, fly's itself! I have flown it 3263' away in my neighborhood in NC San Diego bone stock and now want to go further. The pictures are good, the video can be amazing and the only thing missing is lightbridge. I have had one for less than a month and I can't imagine not buying the Advanced, but if you're on the fence take mine and I'll buy the P3A.;) Good Luck

Tks for all the good advise. Yea it basically comes down to my confidence in piloting and the money I want to invest. No doubt the p3a would give me more drone life as I grow as a pilot. Wow decisions. But I really appreciate all the great advise...

Maybe it will depend on what kind of deal I can find in the coming weeks. I can justify either one if the price is right..

Not to hijack my own thread but can anyone chime in on some good deals they saw over the holidays. I keep hearing Black Friday. So wondering how much of a discount these might have had at one time.

Best I saw was $487 for the p3s and $799 for the p3a lately

Last edited:
Almost had a slightly used local p3pro but it went for $930 used on eBay. Wow that seems pretty hi for a used drone, given the possible downfalls. Has anyone noticed not too many p3a's for sale. I have only seen one. The vast majority are pros or a few standards. So either they love their p3a's or most are buying the pros. The hunt goes on.

I own both an Advanced and Standard. I got the Advanced first. Oddly enough I'm in the other camp. For what I want to use an AP Quad for, the Standard may be enough.

During set-up and check-out of the Standard, I ran the "S" through the same paces as my "A" and I had zero issues. All the Flight modes worked equally well. Now a caveat. I've not had either Quad very long and my testing was done where I live in the Front Range, so typically a great view of the sky and very few obstructions. It might be different when I get into the mountains.

The one thing though is the "A" also uses GLONASS for GPS so I think it may do better when it comes to obstructions. I'll report back, but right now, the "S" does everything I need...

I've had a advanced and a pro... Both bought new. My Advanced was rock solid and flew better that the pro honestly.

Quadbart, my primary use will be for when I visit the front range too. But to justify the cost I will have to fly it in good ole illinois also. You are in a beautify area to have a drone. Please keep us informed between the two models.
I love my standard. Took it to 4300 ft range the other day and chickened out. Lost video signal twice but it came back after just hovering for a few moments.

I think I could've hit a mile easily if I didn't chicken out.

Reactions: dirkclod
I love my standard. Took it to 4300 ft range the other day and chickened out. Lost video signal twice but it came back after just hovering for a few moments.

I think I could've hit a mile easily if I didn't chicken out.

Thats nice distance. Did you have any antenna mods?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20