Seeking advice regarding action upon wifi signal loss

Reaction score
I would appreciate it if the more seasoned pilots of this group could impart some wisdom to newbies like myself regarding the best course of action to take should WiFi signal be lost when the bird is too far out to be seen. It has happened to me a couple of times (even using the Wifi booster app) but I was lucky to have the signal suddenly come back after about 15 seconds -- which at the time seemed like 15 minutes. Without WiFi, I had no FPV to see where it was, no radar to see what direction it was facing, no cockpit data of any sort, and no way of knowing if I still even had control of the bird. Would it be best to just let go of the sticks in that case so it just hovers (wherever it is) to give you some time to gather your thoughts and wait it out a bit? Maybe push the left stick and assume it may be getting more altitude and see if you regain the signal? Try using Home Lock (NAZA mode) to bring it back closer to you, still not knowing if the controller is in contact? Or just flip S1 down to Failsafe (NAZA mode) and pray it comes home?

Any advice regarding the steps you typically take in dealing with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

When I lose video signal, I just fly back the opposite way i was travelling until the video returns. (Assuming you've gone out in a straight line and going back brings it closer to yourself)

Failing that switching to return home mode until video returns.

It really cant be answered as its environment specific. If you are are high enough and have nothing in between you and the aircraft I would invoke RTH and let it fly back closer to home. This assumes you are OK on satellites. Using RTH brings it back the right direction if you cant see it visually or via FPV.

If you are low to the ground with trees then its a different story.

And yes it seems like it takes forever to reconnect Phantom WIFI and get FPV back. I have had issues when losing WIFI a few times where I never got video back but did gain telemetry and had to fly back from 10,000 feet away. Not a big deal but would be nice to see it too.

Something you might consider is to basically run your own test. Fly your quad to distance that you maintain visual contact. Then simulate what you are currently experiencing. An example would be to shut the transmitter power off and set the transmitter on the ground so the range extender also lost connection. If you need to regain connection for any reason, you will be able to quicker by leaving the range extender on. Just pick up the controller and switch it's power back on. At any rate, take notice that if the quad comes home, did it maintain the height when connection was lost, or did it drop to 60ft and then fly home.

Best case scenario is it will maintain height and fly home. Worse case is it does nothing. Not so good is it drops to 60ft and flies home. (60ft doesn't clear all trees)

This way you will know by experience what is to be expected, which should then guide you to how you best fly your quad just in case you lose connection.

It is FPV he has lost, not control signal. Go out to a distance and height where you can still see the aircraft and have FPV (like 500' distance and 150' height). Now rotate your extender so it is pointing straight up. You will likely lose the wifi signal. Now observe what the a/c does in all your scenarios. I think you will be able to answer your own questions. Do not turn off the controller ever. Run in NAZA mode and use S1 to RTH if and when needed.

Good idea. I'll do that test at fairly close range simulate the loss of WiFi. My real concern is without WiFi, I get no messages on my display except a brief message saying the signal has been lost or disconnected. (Can't remember the exact wording.) So how do I now if it is just the Wifi that I have lost or WiFi plus the controller signal? Does the green LED on the controller act differently when it looses control signal with the Phantom? It's probably in the manual, but I don't have it in front of me at the office and don't recall reading anything about that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1