Secure your WiFii Connection

Reaction score
You can use an unsecure WiFi connection to create havoc on a Phantom pilot. Therefore, make sure you have secured your Wi-Fi connection to your Phantom - just as you would your home WiFi router. Mine is password protected. It is a good idea.

I really don't know much about wifi. Unless someone binds an RC to the Phantom, how can they mess with the controls? Besides, doesn't the RC work via radio signal from the antenna and not through the wifi? And when it comes to the wifi, my understanding is the Phantom can only have one wifi connection at a time, so how can someone mess with you? Just curious.

[QUOTE="my understanding is the Phantom can only have one wifi connection at a time, so how can someone mess with you? .[/QUOTE]

That's what I think too.

although I have heard of someone mounting a raspberry pi with wifi to their quad. They fly around and go looking for the right mac address. The quads or extenders or whatever all start with the same sequence of numbers so they know what to look for. When they find one they will fly close and their wifi will overpower your wifi and they will steal your quad. I don't know if this is true or not or even possible. But it is out there if you search for it. I have some wifi aps and I can see all kinds of networks at all different strengths so I don't know if the raspberry pi hack thing really works or not. It might be one of those internet stories. haha

I'd be interested to know how to secure it as my friend and I were flying the other week together both p2v+ but the WiFi was being a real pain with connecting to each other.

Sorry, but my knowledge tells me if the were able to but they can't. Get into the wifi the only thing they might be able to do is connect to the wifi and get nothing. They would have to have the app to receive video. They would be on the 2.8 ghz side and could not control the craft unless they could take over the 5.8 ghz signal but they can't because the craft Is flying and they can't bind their controller with out having the craft to do it.
Just think about it, would be easier to grab the wifi signal on your laptop. But how often do you hear of that happening.
The wifi unit on the Phantom is a single station unit. Only one connection at a time and you have to be the blinded signal with the correct MAC address.
This ones not going to happen. Would be easier to use a wifi jammer and just screw up the video or tellimetry data rather than grabbing it. Would take $$$& and equipment to even get the video.

That's what I'm thinking.. but then why does DJI have a procedure that allows you to encrypt the Phantom's wifi?

This is quite interesting. I'm going to have to look into it and see the affects on range and video lag time and stuff hummmmm

DJI use open Wi-Fi connection without password protected. You may use FPV Booster app to set WPA password to protect your Wi-Fi connection.
11175050_581393738630103_1459777050989849684_n.png

That's what I'm thinking.. but then why does DJI have a procedure that allows you to encrypt the Phantom's wifi?
Where did you see that. Not in the manual and I haven't ran across at anywhere. The binding by using the quads MAC address is simular to locking the firewall in a router allowing only authorized MAC address access. To get in you have to have that address. I don't see the need for a password on a single entry wifi expander using a binding MAC access.

DJIs WiFi unit accepts more than 1 connection to it, but just sends video and telemetry data to first connected device.
I'm computer engineer and had connected 3 devices to my wifi using a cheap router as bridge unit. That is possible tested and it works.The only bad scenario could be if you turn on your TX WiFi unit and other person connects histablet or phone first to it (none app needed, just open wifi mode). Then when you try to connect your tablet or phone, it won't get video-data. No Phantom flight risks at all because flight controls wont be sent from DJIs app.

But, WARNING. If you use another app such as Litchi ot Autopilot, all unattended fligth modes as POI, Orbit, FollowMe... are set from app, so here someone else could carry on your phantom. Good news is that you always can re-take control by moving sticks from GPS to ATTi modes.
I use FPV Booster for DJI Vision + app and have my _WiFi password secured. Suggested for avoiding risk showed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PVFlyer
What is the best device to use for fpv? My Android phone will connect for about 4 seconds then the wifi shuts totally off. I am tired of fighting this problem and am willing to buy a new phone/ pad whatever. Thank you

Umm not sure if anyone is still interested but I saw a show on TV the other day where they interviewed a guy who invented a pirate drone. He was on probation for 3 years after hacking MySpace and getting a million friends overnight lol. Now he works in the private sector and invented a drone that looks for yours and hijacks it but he didn't say how only that it works...

someone can send commands to the drone, or the repeater, or etc. if on the same network. I thnk they were sending reset commands or pushing them off the wifi or something,, I heard the drone immediately falls like a rock :)

What is the best device to use for fpv? My Android phone will connect for about 4 seconds then the wifi shuts totally off. I am tired of fighting this problem and am willing to buy a new phone/ pad whatever. Thank you
Check you android phone. It may have a setting that tells it to find the best wifi signal that has internet and to drop those that don't.

I have the same phone and the same problem. I checked my setting and the entire phone. My wifi still shuts off by itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1