Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sectioning Hard Case foam to fit FC40

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sherpa, Dec 4, 2014.

1. sherpa

Got a really good deal on a hard case from MCM Electronics but I have to cut the foam to fit everything. A utility knife won't cut the foam cleanly. What should I use?

2. Jesse_M

Did it come with the top layer pick and pluck? That's how mine was. I was disappointed to only have one layer of it. The bottom two layers I had to use a fresh box cutter blade. It was a pain and it looks like crap but with the pick/pluck layer on top you can't tell. I sourced some pick/pluck foam from this company: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html but to get two more layers I'd have spent almost as much as I did on the entire case.

3. sherpa

Yeah just like that. Maybe someone has a better idea. might try an electric knife...don't tell my wife!

4. PhantomFanatic

A little late now, but I bought an aluminum, rugged case, from Amazon. It was already shaped for the Phantom and a LOT of accessories for a hundred. I think it was a great deal and it looks very professional.

I have heard of electric knives being used. But, if it is a solid block of foam, it is very hard to cut the bottom of a hole flat. Unless, you cut the foam in slices. I read a post where a guy used a wire, heated by current. He did the multiple,slice method to get smooth bottoms. I think the pluck able foam works better than a solid block.

There are companies that will cut the foam to fit your box and parts, but the price is rather steep.