Sectional Charts

Reaction score
I use my sectional and TAC charts quite a bit. I've used them since I've been flying, both in my rotorcraft days, and now with my P3P. The one thing that's bothered me when flying the P3P is that I can't totally pinpoint my location on the sectional. I've used paper maps, as well as Skyvector.

I found this web site today:

Aviation Charts on Google Maps | iFlightPlanner

The good thing about it is that it has tabs for Map, Satellite, Sectional, TAC, IFR Low and IFR High. I found that if you locate yourself on the Map, then click Sectional or TAC, it'll show you exactly where you are on those charts. It makes it much easier to confirm your location on the sectional. Since it's web based though, it won't locate you using the GPS, you'll have to search for your location. Maybe they'll come out with an app someday...

I understand there are plenty of apps out there that will overlay airports, such as UAV Forecast, but I wanted someway to overlay the actual sectional/TAC over Google Maps. This is the closest I've found to that.

Reactions: AyeYo and Falcon900
Try Airmap (AirMap.io). You can actually type in an address and it will drop a pointer therewith various airports/airspaces overlaid.

I tried the mobile app for that, but wasn't real happy with it. I like looking at the actual sectional when possible.
This is what I use. Not only sectionals, but road maps and satellite views as well. Once you get your location centered on the road map, switch to the sectional for the same scale and position map... you can zoom out to full U.S. and in to your own neighborhood.

1487467484582.png

1487467498753.png

Try Airmap (AirMap.io). You can actually type in an address and it will drop a pointer therewith various airports/airspaces overlaid.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you have Android use Avare from the play store. It will use the GPS from your device and pin point exactly where you are on the Sectional, VFR or WAC chart that is pretty current and updates regularly. I have been using these for years flying the aircraft with GPS and now with the drones to pinpoint where I am in the airspace system.

Reactions: AyeYo
If you have Android use Avare from the play store. It will use the GPS from your device and pin point exactly where you are on the Sectional, VFR or WAC chart that is pretty current and updates regularly. I have been using these for years flying the aircraft with GPS and now with the drones to pinpoint where I am in the airspace system.

Does it preload the maps, or require data? The only Android I have is my tablet with no data,

Does it preload the maps, or require data? The only Android I have is my tablet with no data,

Preloads maps, download the area's you need and then you don't need wifi or anything else. I use this all the time, I have the PHX sectional and VFR map loaded all the time, then when going to another state I just preload those maps as well and off I go

Preloads maps, download the area's you need and then you don't need wifi or anything else. I use this all the time, I have the PHX sectional and VFR map loaded all the time, then when going to another state I just preload those maps as well and off I go

Awesome! I'll check it out. Thanks, this sounds exactly what I was looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1