Sectional chart question

Reaction score
I am studying for the 107 and have a question which I can not seem to grasp. On the attached chart
The terrain elevation of the light tan area between Minot (area 1) and Audubon Lake (area 2) varies from how many feet to how many feet.
I am not just looking for the answer but an explanation of how you came up with it.

107q copy.png

I'll take a stab at it.

Area (1) Minot is around 1716 (it's listed there above and to the right of the airport in blue ).
Area (2) "Settlement" above the dam shows an obstruction which is around 350' high at an elevation of 2267 resulting in something around 1917 (2267 - 350).

1917 - 1716 = 201'

I'm still wearing my "sleepy eyes" so don't bet the farm on those exact #'s. That's pretty close IIRC.

I believe this question is prompting you to use the elevation legend. There should be a graphic somewhere that shows the different colors representing different elevation ranges. For example, the green shaded area could equal 1000-2000 ft, the tan area could equal 2000-3000ft. Once you find that graphic all you have to do is look at the sectional and determine which color is predominantly between the given points.

Is this the question (or a similar one)?

upload_2017-5-3_17-16-57.png

Is this the question (or a similar one)?

View attachment 81579
Yes it is. It is. It came off of a test prep that I was doing but there was no ground elevation reference just the sectional. I was trying to figure out the answers by objects on the ground that were close but the choices I had were so close I could not pick one. If I were to get the ground color chart I probably could have figured it out.

Thank you all for your help!!

Yes it is. It is. It came off of a test prep that I was doing but there was no ground elevation reference just the sectional. I was trying to figure out the answers by objects on the ground that were close but the choices I had were so close I could not pick one. If I were to get the ground color chart I probably could have figured it out.

That "ground color chart" is part of the real FAA question so whatever test prep you were using is deficient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers