Section 333

Well, it looks like the OP's question has been answered. You must have an airman certificate to operate commercially.

Reactions: TAZ
Congratulations! Have you reviewed the attachment I posted here----> http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/guidelines-for-legally-operating-a-uas-in-north-carolina.48078/ You are granted a blanket exemption but until you get a pilots permit you can't operate above 200ft. Plus you need to send all your info to the NCDOT Aviation UAS program
NO ONE can fly commercially, over or under 200 feet, under a 333 exemption w/o an airman's certificate. Sheets777 can you post the name or company name under which we can read your 333? they are public records and can be found here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations/

Call the FAA with your question, all you will get here are opinions...

all you will get here are opinions...
Hey! At least one of my opinions was a fact... :D

In all seriousness though, I do have an exemption. So, I'd be happy to share the facts I know.

Hey! At least one of my opinions was a fact... :D

In all seriousness though, I do have an exemption. So, I'd be happy to share the facts I know.
what does your exemption states about airman certificate?

The same as all other exemptions. I must have one and the FAA is not allowed to exempt me from that requirement.

"The PIC must possess at least a private pilot certificate and a third-class airman medical certificate for all of petitioner’s flight operations. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

Reactions: JBG
How do you get an "airman certificate"?
Google the requirements for private or sportsman. U can find it on the FAA site too. Private is written test (ground school) , 40 hrs min flight time. 20 duel 20 solo. Then flight test. If u like aviation it will be the most fun thing u ever do! Pvt pilot prob around 5 to 7 thousand. Sportsman would be less.

Ok so let me get this straight:

In order to pilot a Phantom 3 Commercially to obtain revenue with a business, I need to receive at the least an Airman Certificate of the minimum (sport pilot), and receive the Section 333 Exemption from the FAA? Anything else?

Reactions: JBG
You probably should think about liability insurance as well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My father is a private pilot and was with the FAA as an air traffic controller for 27 years. I'm going to try and involve him in maybe learning to fly...
He'll probably appreciate it more than he'll admit. Us old guys are like that. My passion was flying, solo at 16 (before learning to drive) , PP at 17, and commercial at 23. I flew search and rescue with the Civil Air Patrol, during a mission had a very close call and started to think about my wife and baby, not fair to them. So, I stopped flying in 1977. UAVs are like a second chance :(

Reactions: Brad Pierce
You personally do not need a pilot certificate, but you must have a PIC that does, and a visual observer (VO). You could be the VO.

It reminds me of the law where I live that requires the newspaper delivery boy of 11 years old that must have a motorcycle license to use his bicycle to deliver my newspaper.

(Please don't flame me, I was just offering an analogy).

Reactions: Brad Pierce
My father is a private pilot and was with the FAA as an air traffic controller for 27 years. I'm going to try and involve him in maybe learning to fly...
What i great advantage. U r lucky!! He might hav some CFI friends! [emoji6]

Ok so let me get this straight:

In order to pilot a Phantom 3 Commercially to obtain revenue with a business, I need to receive at the least an Airman Certificate of the minimum (sport pilot), and receive the Section 333 Exemption from the FAA? Anything else?
My bud in the FAA thinks a pilot certificate will not be a requirement when the final rules are codified. They were supposed to be done by end of 15 but i heard they extended it 6months.

My bud in the FAA thinks a pilot certificate will not be a requirement when the final rules are codified. They were supposed to be done by end of 15 but i heard they extended it 6months.
From what I've heard, they pretty much ignored over 30K comments from the public, and now the big boys (business lobby) are directing much of the rule changes. We'll see.

You personally do not need a pilot certificate, but you must have a PIC that does, and a visual observer (VO). You could be the VO.

It reminds me of the law where I live that requires the newspaper delivery boy of 11 years old that must have a motorcycle license to use his bicycle to deliver my newspaper.

(Please don't flame me, I was just offering an analogy).
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meet the FAA!!!
There r comercial pilots that are pissed they hav to wait for a 333 exemption. I can see why.

From the attorneys working with the national association of realtors they are saying the new rules will not be in place till end of 2016 possibly early 2017.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav