Section 333 exemption

Reaction score
Has anyone applied for this yet? I'm not trying to make a living with my drone or anything but it would be nice to use if a friend wants their wedding filmed or the farms around me need pictures of crops or simple things like that. I don't know if it's worth the hassle. I could just post to craigslist and get paid in cash but I want to do it the right way, any info?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have one. It's easy to get an exemption. But, it won't be usable without a pilot license. If you don't have a pilot license, then it probably won't be worth the cost to get one since it sounds like you're not looking to do this work full-time.

Reactions: BigAl07
How much does a pilots license cost?

Somewhere between $3k-$10k is the average. It depends on which type of license you want to obtain. You'll also need to consider the ongoing costs of maintaining your aircraft, etc.

Just do the wedding as a friend. That is what I did, and it is good experience. as for making money, some are charging for the "editing" of the footage. I don't know if that is right but the FAA restriction is crazy.

some are charging for the "editing" of the footage
Unfortunately, there are no workarounds to doing commercial work. If it helps make money in any way, it's commercial. Please do consult with the FAA directly if you have any doubts though.

Yep. It's not for everyone. I don't recommend getting involved with commercial work unless it's going to be a full-time business.

Reactions: BigAl07
Like I said in regards to a wedding, I did one just for the fun of it and because it made the bride happy. I never once thought about charging for it. They will remember you for doing it forever and there are other ways to be rewarded for good deeds. :)

That's too bad, I think I even read on their website you can't do anything free of charge or even for your own business like taking a picture of your store front and putting it on your website. Why are they so weird about this?

What about giving your local news station a video for free or taking some real estate shots for honest to god free no nothing exchanged for it. Can they use the footage without getting in trouble, or am I overthinking this.

Shimien, those examples should be fine if you didn't take the video with the idea to give it to the news station or realtor. If you recorded the video with the idea to give it to them (thus helping them make money), then you start venturing down a road you probably don't want to travel.

Why not just go out and fly for fun? That way you won't have to worry about breaking the law.

Reactions: SirAchie
No i am, I have only been out like 6 times with it and got some awesome shots flying over this creek bed flooded with storm water, 99% of what I will be doing is flying for fun and landscape photography for myself, kind of re kindling my passion for photography with this new format by air, I just like to be prepared if I want to to something down the road.

a7a52cc7d23be720a768b4ff629ed7fc.jpg

It should be easier for more people in the future. Check out the NPRM for more details.

Is there an interpretation yet on the Pilot-in-Command requirements? I'm curious if they mean the PIC needs to be standing there, visually observing the flight, or is there a less strict version of this?

In manned aircraft, the PIC does not have to be the person controlling the aircraft. In 333 exemptions, the PIC is always the person controlling the aircraft. I guess some approved exemptions might vary, but that's the way it's stated in my 333 exemption -- and, in all of the many approved 333 exemptions that I've read.

I appreciate the opinion. I know you might not be seeking to be the FAA authority around here.. but it helps to know what's being accepted anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik