Section 333 exemption - training program

I answered your question, bud. A simple "thank you" will do. Read it, re-read it, turn it upside down, and read it again, the words will not change, ALL 333s REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF AN FAA SPORT PILOT LICENSE. If you don't want to get one wait another year, the FAA proposed rules will do away with that, and only a written test akin the private pilot written will be required.
Don't kill the messenger.
I think it will be easier than the Private written test. No one has seen the question pool but you can be pretty sure there won't be any VOR navigation questions, wind triangle calculations or carburetor icing on the exam.

My name is Charlie. I own NEXGen Aerial Imaging. I just received my 333. It is very simple as of right now. You must have a minimum of a sport pilots certification, and an FAA medical card. I would not completely rely on the NPRM being a lock to get approved. They more drones that are found doing stupid things like Flying in B and C class airspace, or landing at the US Open, are really hurting the argument to relax the limitations that are in place.

I think some people get confused when they read a 333 request, which often mentions the great training they will go through and how safe they are,,however if you read the grant from the FAA, it always requires the pilots license,,,

I think some people get confused when they read a 333 request, which often mentions the great training they will go through and how safe they are,,however if you read the grant from the FAA, it always requires the pilots license,,,
Honestly, after reading all the discussions here since June, I've come to the conclusion there are two types of folks that come in here and ask 333 questions:
1. Those that genuinely want to know, and use the answers they receive here as a jump off point to continue their research, and
2. Those who already know the answers but are looking for someone to support their assumptions that they don't need an airman's certificate and are looking for excuses to do the wrong thing.
HOW MANY TIMES DO POSTERS HAVE TO CORRECTLY STATE YOU CANNOT OPERATE A UAV UNDER 333 W/O A PILOT LICENSE???:confused:

Reactions: BigAl07
I am glad they got rid of the 3rd class medical requirement, that saves some money.
I think that would only apply if you hold a sport pilot's license. If you are a private pilot, you would still need the 3rd class medical in order to comply with the language "The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

Reactions: SanCap
Honestly, after reading all the discussions here since June, I've come to the conclusion there are two types of folks that come in here and ask 333 questions:
1. Those that genuinely want to know, and use the answers they receive here as a jump off point to continue their research, and
2. Those who already know the answers but are looking for someone to support their assumptions that they don't need an airman's certificate and are looking for excuses to do the wrong thing.
HOW MANY TIMES DO POSTERS HAVE TO CORRECTLY STATE YOU CANNOT OPERATE A UAV UNDER 333 W/O A PILOT LICENSE???:confused:

Agreed. I just started reading through the posts today, but I do see that pattern. Initially I was excited that I already have my private pilot's license but then realized I need to get current to fully satisfy the exemption language. I read elsewhere that the latest Senate proposal may reduce the requirement to passing an aeronautical knowledge exam, but who knows how that will shake out. I can well image a few people will be quite upset if they spend $15K to get licensed just to fly a UAS commercially and then see the requirement dropped, but such is life in the fast lane I suppose.

I can well image a few people will be quite upset if they spend $15K to get licensed just to fly a UAS commercially and then see the requirement dropped
It probably won't ever be dropped since a US law requires it. The FAA is supposed to create a new SUAS certificate to be used in the place of one of the manned aircraft certificates.

It probably won't ever be dropped since a US law requires it. The FAA is supposed to create a new SUAS certificate to be used in the place of one of the manned aircraft certificates.

For selfish competitive reasons I hope that's true. I'm noticing the following two abstracts a 3/23/2016 article (Senate bill calls for certification of unmanned aircraft - Lexology) about the latest bill that just got out of committee:

1) Another major philosophical change in the bill is the requirement that all operators (even model aircraft pilots) pass an "aeronautical knowledge and safety test."

2) gives the FAA nine months to establish a rule for micro UAS (under two kilograms, or 4.4 pounds) that would not require a pilot's certificate and would be operated similarly to model aircraft.

However, neither of these mention commercial use, so now that I reread it, it sounds like they are proposing much more stringent requirements for recreational use, and I suspect you are right that they won't drop the pilot license requirement for commercial use.

I think that would only apply if you hold a sport pilot's license. If you are a private pilot, you would still need the 3rd class medical in order to comply with the language "The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

You are mistaken, as a Private Pilot may exercise the privileges of a Sport Pilot by taking a check ride in a Light Sport Aircraft. I recently completed my Biannual review in a Light Sport Aircraft (I hold a Private Pilot License circa 1982) and was signed off to transition into light Sport Aircraft. I do not hold a third class physical and still earned my endorsement. More info here Existing Pilots Becoming Sport Pilots | EAA

You are mistaken, as a Private Pilot may exercise the privileges of a Sport Pilot by taking a check ride in a Light Sport Aircraft. I recently completed my Biannual review in a Light Sport Aircraft (I hold a Private Pilot License circa 1982) and was signed off to transition into light Sport Aircraft. I do not hold a third class physical and still earned my endorsement. More info here Existing Pilots Becoming Sport Pilots | EAA
Well technically, yes, but in that case, you can only operate within the privileges and limitations of a sport pilot. Change my statement to "If you are a private pilot, and wish to operate as a private pilot, you would still need the 3rd Class medical..."

Reactions: SanCap
Well technically, yes, but in that case, you can only operate within the privileges and limitations of a sport pilot. Change my statement to "If you are a private pilot, and wish to operate as a private pilot, you would still need the 3rd Class medical..."

I agree, in my case I never plan on being PIC of a manned aircraft ever again. If and when the FAA drops the Licensed Pilot requirement I probably will not ever get a biannual flight review again.

I agree, in my case I never plan on being PIC of a manned aircraft ever again. If and when the FAA drops the Licensed Pilot requirement I probably will not ever get a biannual flight review again.
That makes perfect sense. It is quite an expense to stay current, and has more sting when you don't even want to fly the plane. I think if they keep the pilot license requirement it may be partially as a good way to limit the sheer number of commercially operated drones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers