Section 333 Denial

vgt

Reaction score
Anyone received a denial? I'm not sure that I have seen, or heard of, any.

I don't think the FAA has a list of denied petitions. You can find them all here though:
Regulations.gov

I've not seen an actual denial but I have seen several "requests for additional information" which state if they don't get a new submission in 30 days they will simply "close the docket".

Mine has been on the docket since 11/4/2015 and I submitted 7/10/2015 "Pending"

Even with a 333 ,You need to either have a pilot license or be willing to hire a pilot to fly for you! correct?

Even with a 333 ,You need to either have a pilot license or be willing to hire a pilot to fly for you! correct?

A 333 Exemption allows you to fly your quad for commercial purposes (making money). You do NOT need to be a licensed pilot, but when flying in a commercial situation, the pilot of the quad at the time must be a licensed pilot.

And it doesn't cost ANYTHING to file for the Exemption, but there are people/services out there that "help" you file, and some are pretty expensive. Just find one that got approved, change names, addresses, to suit your needs...

My Exemption was put up on 11/19, so I guess I have some time to wait..

A 333 Exemption allows you to fly your quad for commercial purposes (making money). You do NOT need to be a licensed pilot, but when flying in a commercial situation, the pilot of the quad at the time must be a licensed pilot.

And it doesn't cost ANYTHING to file for the Exemption, but there are people/services out there that "help" you file, and some are pretty expensive. Just find one that got approved, change names, addresses, to suit your needs...

The exemption does not cost anything but you will have to pay 5 dollars for each copter you want to fly to register and get an "N" number. If you want a personalized aircraft "N" number that will cost you 10 dollars per copter (I have several "N" numbers in sequential order). The pilot who flies the copter will have to pay for a Flight Review every 2 years to the tune of about 200-400 dollars depending on the aircraft he gets a check ride in. If the pilot does not use the privileges of a Lite Sport Pilot he/she will have to get a 3rd class medical to the tune of whatever the FAA medical doctor wants to charge, probably around 300 dollars. Tack on insurance etc. etc. and you will be spending a fair amount of money to be "Legal".

My exemption was put on the docket October 22nd. Watching the small amount of exemptions being approved lately I don't expect to see mine approved or a request for more info till mid January 2016.

My bad... forgot about all of the other extra crap that goes with it...

I'm not in a rush for mine, just hoping that by the time mine (and yours probably..) is approved that they change the pilot license requirement, but I'm not holding my breath...

Reactions: SanCap
Hopefully the FAA recognizes how ridiculous making a quadcopter pilot be a licensed pilot. I would not object to taking a class or some qualifying in order to use UAV commercially - (actually i do mind) but what are ya' gonna do?

Okay so if I get this straight....you can apply for an exemption but even if approved, you still need to get a pilots license? The its an additional cost to get an N number for your drone?

But you need the exemption/pilot license/N Number if you plan on making money off the drone services I guess right?

Okay so if I get this straight....you can apply for an exemption but even if approved, you still need to get a pilots license? The its an additional cost to get an N number for your drone?

But you need the exemption/pilot license/N Number if you plan on making money off the drone services I guess right?
As I understand what I read on FAA site - I think the 333 Exemption verbiage has that specification listed -

Did you just write them a letter? Or are there specific forms we need to fill out? Would it be possible to see a sample 333 petition letter?

I live in Michigan and have approached a few realtors I personally know and they are all saying that I need a commercial license for them to use me. Kinda sad that I was looking to make a little money on the side and will have to jump through all these hoops and that still won't allow me to do it due to not being a licensed pilot. Kinda silly! Also I was reading somewhere online that the commercial license won't go into effect until 2017?

Hopefully the FAA recognizes how ridiculous making a quadcopter pilot be a licensed pilot. I would not object to taking a class or some qualifying in order to use UAV commercially - (actually i do mind) but what are ya' gonna do?

That's the whole reason why the FAA have been evaluating how to integrate drones into national airspace for the past 3+ years.

And why rules will change.

But in the meantime, under existing rules, this is what we have.

I have been tracking all the 333 approvals. I have seen one that has been revoked because they didn't change all the names in their application they copied from someone else. The FAA approved it but took it back a few months later.

Here is the process to get an exemption so you can operate commercially:

1. Submit the 333 Application (examples are on the www.faa.gov/uas website) - No cost unless you use an attorney or another company to help.

2. Wait for your application to be posted to the National Register (was taking a couple of weeks, now it is up to a couple of months)

3. Once posted the FAA will review it. (was taking a couple of weeks, now it is up to a couple of months or longer)

4. In the meantime you need to apply for a N-Number for each of your aircraft - Cost is $5 and you have to file it via paper form. No online applications. Takes about 3 weeks to get a number.

5. And the biggest requirement - to fly commercially the operator/pilot of the aircraft will have to have a pilots license. It can be a Sport, Recreational, Private, Commercial or ATP.

The company can have the 333 but the pilot has to have the license.

This will all change when the new rules finally get approved.

Clear as mud?

I live in Michigan and have approached a few realtors I personally know and they are all saying that I need a commercial license for them to use me. Kinda sad that I was looking to make a little money on the side and will have to jump through all these hoops and that still won't allow me to do it due to not being a licensed pilot. Kinda silly! Also I was reading somewhere online that the commercial license won't go into effect until 2017?
Realtors were notified over a year ago (maybe 2 years now) by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) to NOT use a drone operator unless they have their 333 Exemption granted. Some may be mislabeling this 333 Exemption as a Commercial License but it's the only "legal" way to fly a UAS commercially at this point in time. The NAR is a HUGE group and some are not still requiring it but many (I'd say most at least in my area) require it. Once you jump through the hoops the Realtors are not really as lucrative a client as it may seem. They may be the low hanging fruit but the money fruit is much higher on the tree.

It will be a "Commercial Drone Operator" certificate sometime in 2016/2017 but the details are way off in the future so I wouldn't base my business model on what they "might" or "might not" be at that time.

Also many require Liability Insurance. It's not expensive but it should be included in your business model.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj