Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Secondary GPS tracker to prevent loss?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calories123, Jul 21, 2013.

1. calories123

Hello everyone, I just ordered my Phantom a few days ago. I plan to use mine purely for hobby, and at $700 it cost me about a full week worth of pay so I cannot risk losing it.

Are there any small GPS trackers that I can buy and attach to my copter so if a dreaded 'fly away' occurs I can recover it? I am also going to attach a label with my phone number and offering a $100 reward.

I did some googling and the ones I found seem to be meant for vehicle and/or stalking. :lol: I worry about adding too much weight to my phantom as I'll be using it with GoPro as well.

Please let me know, thanks!

Jay

2. Lgdiver

I use the Garmin GTU 10 every time I fly and it works absolutely great. I have about 75 flights with the GTU10 and haven't run into any issues or interference at all. It's a bit expensive, but it definitely works well and gives me the peace of mind in case there is a run away or if I lose sight. It doesn't weigh much either, just use some Velcro to mount on the bottom of the phantom.

3. tmcgowan

I use the GTU 10 as well, it works great!

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Nwales

5. tmcgowan

Just an FYI, it adds 50g with Velcro attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. howardmaryon

I have one of the cheaper ebay ones mentioned, and it works fine and gives me some peace of mind in case of the dreaded fly away.