Second Phantom, learn from past mistakes

Reaction score
hi all,

I now consider buying a new P2V+, as my first Phantom P2V dropped into sea 6 months ago and the repairing cost quoted was higher than buying a new one. So I temporary quit playing quad. but I again find this hobby inspiring and having lots of fun and planning to acquire a new P2V+. Some leftover accessories: 3 batteries, propellers, and the propeller guard that can be useful in the new P2V+.

During my first short period (2 months, about 10 flights) ownership of my P2V I may have made some mistakes and omissions that caused the sudden drop, and obviously I don't want to happen again.

- Flying: How can I learn proper flying the DJI quad? I saw the P2V training manuals from DJI was too simple and not sufficient. I learned that the new P2V controllers have some "training" mode. Any further things I should explore before taking the P2V+ out?
- Battery check-up: During my last flight my P2V said 30% battery left but it obviously not the case (so it sudden lost power). I see the new DJI firmware and app may help keeping the battery healthy, is it really good?
- Phantom maintenance: Anything we can do regularly, to keep the Phantom body healthy and in safe-to-fly status.
- Video stuffs: I mostly take static photos, but also wish to learn taking aerial videos for landscape.

Any advices are welcome.

ps: I resides in Hong Kong.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a small toy quad like a Hubsan. You'll learn the basics and get much more comfortable with the 3D world of flying without it necessarily costing you your investment in the process. The Hubsan takes an enormous amount of beating without showing any reduced flying performance.

I'll just add that, if you do buy another P2V+, you should first practice flying it in a large open field/park situation within easy view - and do it A LOT. I know it can be a bit boring and not much to video, but you need to learn the controls and emergency options very well before venturing out, especially anywhere near water. It's easy to confuse pulling back on the left stick with pulling back on the right stick when panic starts to set in.

Hay hkechoes,
Don't let people frighten you. Just buy the p2v bird, read the manual twice, practise a lot in an open feald and have lots of fun. [emoji106]

hkechoes said:
Some leftover accessories: 3 batteries, propellers, and the propeller guard that can be useful in the new P2V+.
Lose the prop guards - they cause more problems than they prevent and may even have been the cause of your crash.

hkechoes said:
- Flying: How can I learn proper flying the DJI quad? I saw the P2V training manuals from DJI was too simple and not sufficient. I learned that the new P2V controllers have some "training" mode.
Ignore controller training mode - it's not relevant to your situation and won't be any help.
Read the manual a couple of times, get an understanding of how the Phantom works.
Ask questions if something isn't clear to you.
Get lots of practice in an open area away from obstacles.
And one more thing .. the Phantom is going to be easier to fly than any "training quad" you can buy.

-Get the dji flight helper app on your android device study it .
-Follow a checklist and procedures and don't panic
Take slow baby step.
Example :don't freaking get into a ground station 16 waypoints mission cuz you are pumped from watching some cool YouTube video..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4