Second Drone , wedding photography

Reaction score
Hi. Apologies if this or something similar had been asked already . I've been asked to do aerial shoots at weddings for a photographer . Photos such as the brides car leaving the family home and arriving at the church/chapel/ house of worship/Venue . Then a group photo in front of the venue followed by photos on a beach or wherever the Couple want their photos done. Also some video footage would be tied into it .

I have a Phantom 2 vision+ , though I'll need a second unit as a spare . My question is would a second p2v+ suffice or would an Inspire 1 be a better choice ? What are the camera stills like compared to each other ? Also would stills taken from 4K video be better quality than from camera photos . I can't afford a platform that can support a Sony nex /pan gh just yet. Thanks.

If photos are all you are concerned about, both the vision plus and the Inspire, shoot at 12MP. So, in terms of megapixels, they would be the same.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine that the Inspire 1, would have a better lens. Frankly, if I could afford an Inspire, I would buy it!

There is a version available with two remotes. Obviously, this is meant for two people: One to fly and one to film. The video feed is 720p, but that is about the maximum, or more, resolution of the monitor you will probably use.

But, the actual video being recorded is at 4K. Also, if you ever want to shoot video, the Inspire would be a better choice. It also seems to be a well designed drone.

I am saving up for one, but right after I buy it, they will come out with the Inspire 2!

And, if no one has done so yet, I welcome you to the forum! If they have, welcome again!

Thanks for the replies . I'm not in the US, I'm in Europe, I have myself booked into do the relevant flight safety course in my country and also public liability insurance, just incase . So I'll be 100% legally good to go .

The Inspire is pretty sweet , but I'll be mainly doing photos with the unit and I think the 1080p from the p2v+ is good enough but still I'm itching for an Inspire even at 2.5 times the money :) .

I won't be starting to do paid work until March I think so I'm hoping they might have a newer version of the Phantom out by then :)

I know what you mean. I can't really justify spending that much money when my Hero 3 Black gives me all I really need. But, it looks so cool! I hope Santa is listening!

Good luck with the business.

Thanks, no one else is really doing this work yet , so I'm hoping it will pay off . I'm wondering mostly what stolls grabbed off of 4k video would look like? Better than the 12mp stills ? The 2 12mp sensors in the 2 drones are from different companies apparently, the newest one being a Sony chip . I wonder if the 2 sensors are still quality wise similar or does one beat the other ? For the extra money it should be like night and day .

On the DJI website they have the PV2+ specs for the camera at 14mp not 12mp...

I'd take the inspire and charge the company a hefty fee for the photos.
With the inspire, you have more control over the camera with full pan.

People, quit being a propaganda minister for the FAA.
For now, it IS 100% legal to fly and capture video for commercial purposes in the USA.

:D
My wife's "adopted" daughter and her new husband spent two weeks with us in July. We had a reception for them and their family since many couldn't afford to fly to Orlando, Florida where they were married in June. Their photographer shot several scenes at their wedding with a P2V + and ground based cameras/camcorders. I wish I would have copied the DVD, it was excellent.
Legal or not it's fairly common for weddings as well as for real estate/landscape advertising. A buddy of mine uses a P2 with a gopro for his pool/water feature business in Arizona.

Suwaneeguy said:
For now, it IS 100% legal to fly and capture video for commercial purposes in the USA.
See my links above. It's 100% illegal in the US. If you want to do anything for commercial purposes, you must file an exemption request with the FAA.

I'm no propaganda minister. Just trying to help people out since many are misinformed (like yourself).

Fplvert said:
Legal or not it's fairly common for weddings as well as for real estate/landscape advertising.
Very true. That'll be slowly changing though as people become more aware. The National Association of Realtors just issued a statement to advise realtors that commercial use is prohibited. I'm sure most will comply.

http://www.realtor.org/articles/nationa ... l-vehicles

Blah blah legal or not you can use another subject to fight over this ..
If you can afford the inspire and you going to get more work it will pay it's self off real quick
I took the plunge and brought a dji ronin payed for it with 2 jobs

Just exactly is he getting the Inspire? They are not even scheduled to start shipping until 12- 15. Best case. As for the illegality of using "drones" to film weddings. Really? Several wedding photographer here in SoCal already do that!

Prylar Bek said:
Just exactly is he getting the Inspire? They are not even scheduled to start shipping until 12- 15. Best case. As for the illegality of using "drones" to film weddings. Really? Several wedding photographer here in SoCal already do that!

Strange as I recall reading on some forum, that people were saying it took 21 days to receive their inspire.

But, I also read on DJI's site about Dec. 15th being the release date.

I WANT ONE SANTA!

Prylar Bek said:
As for the illegality of using "drones" to film weddings. Really? Several wedding photographer here in SoCal already do that!
Ignorance does not change the law.

That's a good point about the availability. I don't think any Inspire 1's have been shipped yet. Many have pre-ordered, so it might take some time to get one until all of those orders have been filled. Someone over on the Inspire 1 forum can probably speak to that though.

As a photographer, I think you would certainly notice more difference between the lens of a P2V / GoPro (fish eye) and the one on the inspire which is rectilinear than you would between the sensors. I have one pre-ordered an Inspire and can't wait. Fish eye is fine if you don't mind working to correct in post and accepting soft edges due to the correction. I shot this last week of a new hospital I programmed in Birmingham, Alabama and am still distracted by the curvature and soft edges due to the GoPro even after correcting in FCPX.

http://vimeo.com/113729395

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik