Search & Retrieve

Reaction score
I was asked to help search for a downed RC fixed wing plane in impenetrable reeds, marsh and bog. (Plane was worth around R50000 which is a lot in SA money!)

Several manual flights yielded no results. A search pattern created and flown with Litchi actually located the wreck but we missed it on the iPad.

Another manual flight along the original line of flight and we spotted it. It took the search party quite a while to fight their way through the reeds with about two feet vision, but without the hovering quad they would have struggled to find the wreck.

The fuselage, wings, struts and prop blades were mostly destroyed, but all of the electronics, avionics, servos, landing gear etc were intact and reusable. Most certainly worth the effort and very rewarding for me to have been able to help.

A lot of time could have been saved if I had the HDMI external connection attached to a larger screen, but I don't know how practical it would have been in this scenario.

Do any folks here have ideas for setups ?

Nice job and recovery. Thanks for sharing.

I stepped out of a helicopter over ground like that. And yes the first step was a doozie. Never trust a helo pilot that tells you he is just above the grass.

Reactions: Ramphex
That was some NASTY tall grass and marsh! I can see why the first searcher couldn't see it until he was right on top of it! Very deceiving!
Also, a good reason to have some kind of GPS tracker.

awesome find buddy, next time please please please 1080p video lol
I'm afraid when I rush I always struggle with the settings between my quads, my editing and rendering software (Pinnacle Studio), the export parameters, and the upload to the tube. Any pointers will be gratefully accepted.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj